TonyT

Scratch 1 billion dollars worth of F22

After I read that article Tony linked, I felt like I was reading about the Third Reich and the issues they had with over-complicated machinery that were maintenance nightmares and slow to produce in sufficient numbers.

On 10/16/2018 at 9:45 AM, Dave Williams said:

.  F-22s are hardly strategic assets.

I would argue that they are.   They are “silver bullets” that give us a marked advantage in any conflict against a peer/near peer adversary.    Given the small fleet size, the loss of even a few has significant implications.  

No less value to the nation than a carrier or B-2.  

44 minutes ago, CATCplSlade said:

After I read that article Tony linked, I felt like I was reading about the Third Reich and the issues they had with over-complicated machinery that were maintenance nightmares and slow to produce in sufficient numbers.

Third Reich, really?

43 minutes ago, D.B. Andrus said:

Third Reich, really?

Well, yes. The German military at that time was plagued with issues regarding the teething pains of the Panther and other vehicles in addition to only producing relatively small numbers due to over-engineering of the inner workings which made building those vehicles time-consuming compared to the Sherman or T-34. 

From the article it seems the F-22 spends more time in maintenance than in duty, which reminds me of the problems Germany had keeping their gear running. That just seems a liability to me. I wasn't comparing governmental style if that's what you're thinking.

Edited by CATCplSlade