Scratch 1 billion dollars worth of F22

TonyT

Expensive storm

http://www.airforcemag.com/DRArchive/Pages/2018/October%202018/October%2015%202018/Hurricane-Michael-Damages-F-22s-Left-at-Tyndall-New-Special-Warfare-Training-Wing-Activated-SOUTHCOM-US-Forces-Korea-Nomine.aspx

Updated link: http://airforcemag.com/DRArchive/Pages/2018/October 2018/October 15 2018/Hurricane-Michael-Damages-F-22s-Left-at-Tyndall-New-Special-Warfare-Training-Wing-Activated-SOUTHCOM-US-Forces-Korea-Nomine.aspx

begs the question: what kind of stupidity is at the helm of the AirForce to leave expensive assets in the path of a destructive storm? Such a decision defies any sense of logic...

If they are in deep overhaul you are probably screwed, they wouldn't know until late the storm was coming, makes you wonder however about the build strength of the hangars, however you try to get funding on an if or maybe

When the storm was just off the coast it was a Category 1.

Just after it hit landfall it quickly became a 3 and just a

couple of mph under a Cat 4.  In other words they were

expecting a 1 to 2 and were surprised by what it turned into.  :o:(

The USAF sent all their airworthy aircraft to a base in Ohio. What was left could not be airworthy in time.

A real shame was the pics of their little air museum, 4 jets parked on little concrete slabs in a display.They all took damage, one was flipped upside down. One was a delta, another was I think a F-86, not sure what the others were.

The hangers where the F-22 and some transport craft were totally destroyed.

Screen-Shot-2018-10-12-at-11.54.16-AM.pn 

DpRqqqMU4AI1pM7?format=jpg&name=900x900

DpRVHdvVAAADoHd?format=jpg&name=900x900

13 minutes ago, Jennings Heilig said:

What I want to know is why a dozen F-22s (15% of all of them in service) were out of service.  

At any given time there will be a number out of service for scheduled overhaul just to stagger them so they don't all come due for maintenance at the same time. Not knowing the maintenance intervals for the F-22A, how can you say that 15% being out of service is unusual.

Even if they were in maintenance, this is plain stupid. Knowing that such an area is prone to regular hurricanes, why were the support infrastructures installed there rather than in a protected area? Do not tell me they do not know! 

I have to define location restrictions in European call for tenders for sensitive infrastructures and taking care of the occurrence of such basic environmental risks is an elemental step! Come on... 

15 hours ago, DeanKB said:

Knowing the way the Pentagon operates, they'll claim 18 aircraft completely destroyed & claim $3bn for replacements from Congress, when in fact a tube of T-cut would be sufficient to polish out the scratches.

Yes, I can see an extra order of F-35As to make good unexpected F-22 attrition. It just means going to the money tree again.

The USAF is going to have to start better looking after gear that may be in service for fifty+ years, and understand that trashing one's toys doesn't automatically mean there'll be new shiny replacements under the Xmas tree each year. 

Tony 

7 hours ago, thierry laurent said:

Even if they were in maintenance, this is plain stupid. Knowing that such an area is prone to regular hurricanes, why were the support infrastructures installed there rather than in a protected area? Do not tell me they do not know! 

I have to define location restrictions in European call for tenders for sensitive infrastructures and taking care of the occurrence of such basic environmental risks is an elemental step! Come on... 

I grew up 50 miles west of Tyndall, and I also wonder why the infrastructure wasn't built to withstand hurricane weather considering they've known that is a possibility for at least 54.5 years (my life span as of this writing).

19 minutes ago, CATCplSlade said:

I grew up 50 miles west of Tyndall, and I also wonder why the infrastructure wasn't built to withstand hurricane weather considering they've known that is a possibility for at least 54.5 years (my life span as of this writing).

Total incompetence by the USAF.  F-22's are an irreplaceable national asset.   Once one is destroyed, it won't be replaced.  They never should have been left behind in sheet metal hangars while a CAT 5 storm leveled that base.   If nothing else, the AF should have had the basic foresight to build a few hardened aircraft shelters to adequately protect any non-flyable aircraft in the event a storm approached (I believe a typical HAS costs a small fraction of what they paid for an F-22) but foresight and US military don't go well together.  

And no, buying some extra F-35's isn't the solution.  The F-22 has a totally different mission.

Juggernut - lighten up a bit bud.  Anyone can chime on any subject.  It's a modeling website....

12 minutes ago, John1 said:

Total incompetence by the USAF.  F-22's are an irreplaceable national asset.   Once one is destroyed, it won't be replaced.  They never should have been left behind in sheet metal hangars while a CAT 5 storm leveled that base...

And no, buying some extra F-35's isn't the solution.  The F-22 has a totally different mission.

I think most people here realise that. But maybe it's a lesson learned about where intermediate level overhaul is conducted. Sloppy. 

Tony 

Yeah, who would have thought that a major Hurricane could hit coastal FL.  That’s never happened before.   ;)      

Google “Homestead AFB”.   

Fully expect the AF to rebuild exactly as before.  

Thank god we don’t have any budget problems and can afford all this silliness.  

I was a youngster when Camille hit in the 60's, been through Frederick and many others. Pensacola Beach was nearly washed away around a decade or so ago, and a vacant lot sits where my grandmother's house in Pensacola once existed. Hurricanes are the reason the Spanish abandoned the colony centuries ago. Any person in Florida who doesn't take weather into account frankly does not get my pity.

Edited by CATCplSlade

from elsewhere

I was led to believe from reports that the F-22's left were either unserviceable (indeed some being cannabalised for parts for the rest of the fleet), or couldn't be generated as serviceable in time to escape the storm. Indeed on aircraft went u/s whilst taxying for take off it was reported.