Jennings Heilig

New, clean topic: HB B-24 Test Shot Photos

It's not on Facebook, so it doesn't go in the previous thread, which was getting messy...

I have to say, I'm not terrifically impressed.  The oil cooler molded into the lower surface of the wing - seriously?  Neat rows of divots along the edge of every panel - seriously?  Rubber tires?  Split nose turret clear parts?

http://filscalemodels.ph/testshots/hobbyboss32ndliberator/hobbyboss32ndliberator.html

Edited by Jennings Heilig

My biggest pet peeve is the poor choice of turret engineering.  The are a few other aggravating issues but by and large, it's the turrets that will draw the attention.  The rubber tires can be thrown in the bin and inexpensive aftermarket replacements gotten relatively  easily.  To my eye, those "divots" aren't that bad and the cowl smiles can be filed to shape.   Those turrets on the other hand, are going to be a "gin-blossom" on this big bomber.  

I'll still by at least one copy of this monster if the price is right.  At the current US pre-order price of $250,  I'm out.  If it comes in substantially lower than that ($150 -$175), I'll buy it.  If the turret molding was better and/or if they retool them, I'd consider paying more for it. 

Edited by Juggernut
Content

8 minutes ago, Juggernut said:

My biggest pet peeve is the poor choice of turret engineering.  The are a few other aggravating issues but by and large, it's the turrets that will draw the attention.  The rubber tires can be thrown in the bin and inexpensive aftermarket replacements gotten relatively  easily.  To my eye, those "divots" aren't that bad and the cowl smiles can be filed to shape.   Those turrets on the other hand, are going to be a "gin-blossom" on this big bomber.  

I'll still by at least one copy of this monster if the price is right.  At the current US pre-order price of $250,  I'm out.  If it comes in substantially lower than that ($150 -$175), I'll buy it.  If the turret molding was better and/or if they retool them, I'd consider paying more for it. 

$250!!!!  That's crazy, I saw it for EUR 129, so $149.

Split ball turret will also be a mess.  Strange the way they chose to manufacture them.  Could have looked at either the older 1/48 Monogram fit (not sure they did the J or H) or the 1/72 Hasegawa. 

The low base price, whatever it comes out to be, just means that the kit is a canvas very basic.  Then you are waiting on Eduard's upgrades or other brands, which will come, like engines, cockpit, guns (already out there)  But not sure how anyone can fix the turrets and like previously posted they will stand out like a sore thumb.  Vacuform would not be much better IMO.  Clear resin?   With all the updates, price will easily get to 350 to 400. or more. 

Still, it's a 1/32 Liberator.   But at this size, it does scream to me (I need more details). 

For me, I just wish someone would make a 1/48 B17 and B24 updated from the older kits out there, just much more manageable.  

Paul  C

Edited by Paul2660

2 minutes ago, Gerhard said:

$250!!!!  That's crazy, I saw it for EUR 129, so $149.

£134.99 from Hannants.

1 hour ago, Jennings Heilig said:

It's not on Facebook, so it doesn't go in the previous thread, which was getting messy...

I have to say, I'm not terrifically impressed.  The oil cooler molded into the lower surface of the wing - seriously?  Neat rows of divots along the edge of every panel - seriously?  Rubber tires?  Split nose turret clear parts?

http://filscalemodels.ph/testshots/hobbyboss32ndliberator/hobbyboss32ndliberator.html

£134.99 - it's going to be more Revell than Tamiya, and I'm happy with that, warts and all.

Not to be a Debbie downer but I feel like I’m looking at a Monogram kit from 1970, except that the 48th Monogram kit actually was better detailed.     This kit is “rough”.   

Edited by John1

Looks to be a splendid canvas. Infinitely preferable to a vacform (and you'd be lucky to get one of those for less than about 60% of the Hobby Boss retail price). 

Just hoping those stalky things next to the rubber vinyl tyres are plastic casts of what will be hard metal cast inserts in the kit.

Waiting for the D so as to make a conservatory nosed PB4Y-1. Should be loads of interesting AM out by the time the Ploesti boxing arrives. 

My only question: if Hobby Boss can sell this giant on the street for about £135, why is their P-61B so hideously expensive?

Tony 

I'm assuming the US prices are higher due to new proposed trade tariffs, because I've not seen this happen before?

As for the HB kit looking like a 1970 Monogram kit - I think that's a criticism too far. Some of the parts look rough, but it's a test shot & priced amazingly cheaply.

Mate, it's a 1:32 Liberator; a canvas to do with what ever grabs yer fancy, and at £135 quid here in the UK it's an absolute bargain.

I would never have considered this subject matter before in 1:32, but at this price point I'm in.

I'm sure it will look quite impressive in its raw state, even more so with a bit of am stuff. I'll hang on for the D version and most likely do a Coastal Command type - after the Whirlwinds and Lancaster etc., assuming I live long enough!

22 minutes ago, Tony T said:

Looks to be a splendid canvas. Infinitely preferable to a vacform (and you'd be lucky to get one of those for less than about 60% of the Hobby Boss retail price). 

Just hoping those stalky things next to the rubber vinyl tyres are plastic casts of what will be hard metal cast inserts in the kit.

Waiting for the D so as to make a conservatory nosed PB4Y-1. Should be loads of interesting AM out by the time the Ploesti boxing arrives. 

My only question: if Hobby Boss can sell this giant on the street for about £135, why is their P-61B so hideously expensive?

Tony 

The detail on the P-61 is far better - just compare the engines, for instance - and I'd imagine sell in far fewer numbers than the B-24 is expected to, so have to be priced higher to cover development costs & moulding.

The approach to the B-24 looks far "lighter", with less money invested in research, development & moulding.

I suppose "you get what you pay for" applies, but as we tend to want to add detail to our models anyway, with AM and scratch additions, the B-24 looks to represent pretty good value to me, especially considering the (apparently far superior) 1/32 Lancs look to be triple the price.

Well, I'm no rivet counter by any stretch of the imagination. End of the day, it will look like a B-24, and the is good enough for me. If the MId 100's price point is correct, I will get one and let it rest on the shelf until the AM guys have gone ape and launched all kind of goodies for us, which we know they will. 

I see problems arising with those plastic LG struts.   

Priced high? Yea, but as mentioned it beats a vac formed kit any day of the week.  

Ill still get it, but I hope the aftermarket steps up to the plate.   I like the no overkill on hidden detail, but engines are a cop out in my opinion.  

Will sit in the stash until someone puts out quality brass gear in the least.  Love to see a better nose turret as well. 

12 minutes ago, ScottsGT said:

I see problems arising with those plastic LG struts.   

Priced high? Yea, but as mentioned it beats a vac formed kit any day of the week.  

Ill still get it, but I hope the aftermarket steps up to the plate.   I like the no overkill on hidden detail, but engines are a cop out in my opinion.  

Will sit in the stash until someone puts out quality brass gear in the least.  Love to see a better nose turret as well. 

The outer 'detailed covers for those stalky legs shown with the tyres appear on the sprue ten frames further down.