The next WNW kit..? 3 wishes...

Pup7309

10 hours ago, Tnarg said:

Logical choices might include the Halberstadt CL.IV, an Austrian Taube  or a late DFW as follow on to earlier kits, but then, "He said logic, heh, heh".

I could only hope for a Breguet 14, Hansa Brandenburg Starstrutter or Albatros C.III since all of those have great possibilities for markings (even Polish and Lithuanian options).

Tnarg

I think you’re right on the money there! WNW do later variants and these would be popular. (Although I’d rather see an AEG than DFW) Also think a late/international  Hansa-Brandenburg 29 could be possible.

Peter J’s museum has a Breguet 14 and Hansa B & Albatros C111 could be derived from current molds so good choice!

16 hours ago, timvkampen said:

WWI always will have the preference but at some point they will run out of subjects to issue...If this Lancaster becomes a success, and it probably will, why not venture / expand the WNW range and set up a WWII line. There are enough planes that can receive the same treatment as the stellar WWI kits. How about a Hurricane, Bristol Beaufighter, Lysander, etc.?

That point is many, many years away. 

WNW have released about, maybe, 15% of possible WWI subjects? 

Italian, French & Austria-Hungary subjects lay practically untouched. Very early war subjects the same. The move to post-war kits has only just started. Pre-war aviation has many possibilities. That's ignoring different variations of existing kits.

22 hours ago, Tony T said:

Fifty years ago when I was a child making 1/72 kits, few of the subjects produced by WnW had reached my consciousness. 

Maybe it's the internet, maybe it's the WW1 Centennary, but it more likely has much more to do with these models bringing almost forgotten elements of history back to life. That has to be a good thing, understanding our forebears and how differently or how similarly they thought, and the frankly quite bizarre conditions in which they flew and fought. 

I do hope Sir PJ dabbles a little more in later eras while keeping his core WnW following happy. A Wimpey with fabric over geodetic structure detail, the DeHavilland biplanes of the Golden Age such as the Rapide and Moths, and the Schneider Trophy entrants from Britain and Italy, amongst others, would all be fascinating subjects. But AFAIK there must be 25 or so WW1 subjects on WnW's secret yet-to-do list. 

So, the more modellers get carried away with their dreams, the more I say "what's that then?" and learn a little more. So why not indulge in those wish lists? 

Tony 

Yes. Why not dream? I have been googling 20’s and 30’s aircraft and am amazed at how many weird and wonderful types there were...Sir PJ will stick to WW1 but can throw in a few wildcards if he likes. Whatever takes his fancy, hell he could even do a Sci-fi or fantasy subject (but it might be under the Weta rather than Wingnut label)

On 10/14/2018 at 9:28 PM, Southern Bandit said:

I think its great WNW have strayed from WW1, but probably and finally, we need to see at least the Dr.I done well before most of us can accept any real moving on, the Lancs look fantastic but understandable diversions given Peters Dambuster movie project .... but he is a well know Aviation enthusiast too, so my guess is we will see more WW2 titles from WNW in the not to distant future.

One thing we sometimes forget when comparing Tamiya to WNW is they are an Aircraft dedicated and focused company, so unlike Tamiya for our 1/32 new Aircraft fix, we don't need to wait such longer between 1/32 Aircraft releases with WNW.

But if WNW do decide to follow on with more WW2 Aircraft.

Hurricane MKI please.

WW2 is already well covered, but not WW1. There are so many WW1 planes. Personally, already having a bunch of Fokker DR1s and Nieuports, I won’t buy any WnWs releases anyway of those, but there are well over a hundred different major planes that have never been released. Besides, going by the amount of requests, like the later Fokker  DVlls, if WnWs produces a Drl, it will be out of production in a matter of weeks, unlike the Roden Dr1.

Edited by Fred Jack

On 10/20/2018 at 9:06 AM, Fred Jack said:

WW2 is already well covered, but not WW1. There are so many WW1 planes. Personally, already having a bunch of Fokker DR1s and Nieuports, I won’t buy any WnWs releases anyway of those, but there are well over a hundred different major planes that have never been released. Besides, going by the amount of requests, like the later Fokker  DVlls, if WnWs produces a Drl, it will be out of production in a matter of weeks, unlike the Roden Dr1.

I think they have enough to keep them going for a while but like everyone else would like to see new stuff... if only my wallet could keep up. If they released a list it might put all the speculation to bed but  don’t imagine that’s going to happen:)

Do you think at any stage they might have to sell off their backlog of kits like the Dh9’s etc that don’t sell so well (to make way for new kits) or would they just stop ordering them? Or just wait till they sell out over time?

Maybe I will start another thread with this question..

On 10/21/2018 at 6:35 AM, Pup7309 said:

I think they have enough to keep them going for a while but like everyone else would like to see new stuff... if only my wallet could keep up. If they released a list it might put all the speculation to bed but  don’t imagine that’s going to happen:)

Do you think at any stage they might have to sell off their backlog of kits like the Dh9’s etc that don’t sell so well (to make way for new kits) or would they just stop ordering them? Or just wait till they sell out over time?

Maybe I will start another thread with this question..

Wingnut Wings are backed by Peter Jackson, who is worth some half a billion Dollars. They are not profit driven. They don't give kits away, but they certainly produce kits that the market has not been calling for - except, of course, Peter Jackson himself.

Their "Sold Out" signs absolutely drive demand and push up used values. I recently sold a WNW Sopwith Triplane & Harry Tate for £200 each - they hold their value like no other kits.

7 hours ago, DeanKB said:

Wingnut Wings are backed by Peter Jackson, who is worth some half a billion Dollars. They are not profit driven. They don't give kits away, but they certainly produce kits that the market has not been calling for - except, of course, Peter Jackson himself.

Their "Sold Out" signs absolutely drive demand and push up used values. I recently sold a WNW Sopwith Triplane & Harry Tate for £200 each - they hold their value like no other kits.

There are just two very long term outcomes, or a mix of them: 

1/ moulds go into disuse and deteriorate beyond use

2/ moulds are sold and biplane kitsets popped out for sale in Poundstretcher

The only unknown is how long that will take - 15, 25, 40 or 50 years?

Tony

4 hours ago, Tony T said:

There are just two very long term outcomes, or a mix of them: 

1/ moulds go into disuse and deteriorate beyond use

2/ moulds are sold and biplane kitsets popped out for sale in Poundstretcher

The only unknown is how long that will take - 15, 25, 40 or 50 years?

Tony

How does that work?

On 10/15/2018 at 8:01 PM, timvkampen said:

WWI always will have the preference but at some point they will run out of subjects to issue...

I'm not so sure - after 50+ years interested in aviation, and modelling, there are still obscure WWI types crawling out of the woodwork that I've never heard of.

My 3:

1. Avro 504, in both a J/K and a postwar N boxing;

2. Comic Camel

3. Sopwith Baby floatplane

If no 1 counts as two choices, delete 3.

Edited by MikeC

On 10/15/2018 at 2:21 PM, Gazzas said:

So many ppl holding out for the Dr.I.  I know it would be nice if every other modelling company just put in the effort of WNW to make their kits great.  But isn't that the essence of modelling?

When I built my first WNW kit there was nothing to do but do it right.  Nothing that stood out to say:  "This is mine" other than the tiny blemishes where I did it wrong.

But to take a kit that is less than perfect, and to make it a little (or a lot) better...  Isn't that part of the deal? 

A bit of a challenge, even?

Gaz

I absolutely love WnWs, especially since they are the only model company to produce multi seat WWl aircraft, because WWl wasn’t all about just fighters. Like Garzas, I to like challenges. Roden does offer those challenges, and it really isn’t that hard to make a Roden or the oop but easily available Hobbycraft models. With Eduard you can make any of those other kits as good as a WnWs kit. A very good example that WnWs kits aren’t perfect is that there companies making photo etched and resin corrections and additions to WnWs kits. I have a bunch of Dr1s, and you need them if you want to keep up with Pheon Decals. I bet if you put a WnWs Dr1, if indeed WnWs ever produces one, next to a corrected Roden Drl with an engine cowl already available and a little filler on the stabilizer, and maybe a few other aftermarket items, you’d be hard pressed to find the difference, even in total costs. I like WnWs except for their limited amount of models policy. I love Roden because as different decals and aftermarket parts become available, you can always buy the kit you want year after year.

Edited by Fred Jack

8 hours ago, wunwinglow said:

Not sure logic has anything to do with it!!! Sir Peter makes what Sir Peter wants, so you would have to ask him.....

Clearly, my attempt at humour was too subtle.

WnW is doing a Lancaster series and the Lancaster was derived from the similar, if ultimately ill-fated, Avro Manchester. A Manchester conversion is clearly feasible. But, I was referring to much less well-known WWI biplane bomber, a subject which is more aligned with WnW's typical subject matter.