Hobby boss 1/18 harrier 2 plus build

Leontuitt1985

I have the pre-built version of this kit. I recently added a ammo/gun pod system to my jet. I scratch-built the fairing between the two pods because the kit one was totally wrong. My question is, since the kit version comes with the ammo/gun pods does it also include the centerline pylon for the targeting pod ? I need to scratch-build this pylon and can't find any reference pics of it anywhere, thanks.

Great start on the kit BTW.

Steve

Many thanks for the info Matt.

I’m aiming to be close but if I’m honest I set a base line that an aircraft of this size should have 32nd scale detail at minimum so there will be some inaccuracies to the purists. All the building I do is by eye using reference photos and other points in the cockpit for scaling. 

Im going to tackle the instrument panel next and will construct it in layers (the white card in the image was a test) I plan on making the hud, the MFD’s and the the centre separately to get the correct depth. 

The sidewalls have all been sanded smooth and a basic re scribing done before I add the switches etc. 

Its a a great scale but being so large you either go basic or go all out! 

I will I’ll try my best to do this kit and the aircraft justice! :) 

thankyou again for following the build. 

LT

P.S. any info in where to source reference materiel would be amazing as google is limited all bar a great exterior walk around of an Italian navy harrier 

19 minutes ago, scvrobeson said:

Yes, let me dig through my books for you.  As far as I can tell, the coaming is the same shape between the US and Brit Harriers, so the photos should work.

Matt 

I’ve had a closer look and I see what you mean. The coaming is basically vertical, don’t know how I missed that as I felt something just wasn’t quite right but makes life a little easier when I tackle the coaming. Thanks again for highlighting 

Edited by Leontuitt1985

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Mark,

On primeportal there are some pretty detailed Harrier walk around pics. Compare the shape of the deck area aft of the parachute box. Take a look at the cockpit opening shape. Compare the nose profile (plenty of B+ pics on the web). Intake shape. Don't even get me started on the engine... 

But before getting into a frame by frame comparison, are you planning printed/resin corrections for a build of just weighing up whether or not to purchase? "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder", they say - and as is being demonstrated, many improvements can be made - or you can just build out of the box if that floats your boat. When it starts looking like a Harrier depends on how critical you want to be. :)

Kirk