Porsche tiger got stripes.

Hardcore

MPA0041.jpg

Water based.  Doesn't form a skin.  Doesn't run or sag.  Once dry chips like real zimmerit.  Inexpensive.

If I had my guess, I would think it is made of acrylic medium and water.

I'm sure there is something like it in art stores and discount stores in your country.

Gaz

Edited by Gazzas
added text

At top is the Zandri Desert spray can Primer from Games Workshop. I will test using that for speed and ease. 

Under is Tamiya Dark Yellow, which I used in the last build, Italeri Ral 7028 Dunkel Gelb (from a set) and Ammo-Mig ditto. (A.Mig-010)

Given i already used the Tamiya paint for the Tiger 1, and the Italeri looks too green I will test the Mig paint for this build. 

IMG_20181022_210321205_zpswcmjmzxd.jpg

IMG_20181024_202919926_zpspvspiv6j.jpg

Looks good with some paint on it. Not a perfect coverage but as base for further work it will do. 

A warning here: the GW spray paint have a tendency to deliver just the pigment without the solvent. The result is literally a layer of dust. (This was the reason I had to strip the paint off the tie fighter in an earlier thread.)

I had no problems with the turret here , but the Hull and gun was a mess. Luckily the dust is easily removed with a brush and some rubbing alcohol.

For the second attempt the can got shaken longer and that solved the problem. 

Edited by Hardcore

• 3 weeks later...

The novelty of building my favorite subjects eventually wore off once I got myself an Airbrush. Nowadays my main priority is to improve my skills. For that reason I  am looking for your  input on matters of subject, camo schemes, Techniques and materials, etc.

I may also make a small base to put it on, so ideas for that are also welcome. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/23/2018 at 11:56 PM, ScanmanDan said:

Superb as always Hardcore  :) .  

I do love a good base may I suggest a youtube channel to you?

Paepercuts

Good, simple, cheap and quick how to's for building bases.  I'd love to get the results he does but have shamelessly stolen heaps of his ideas and I think improved my bases a a lot by using some of the techniques he shows. IHTH

Dan

Thanks Dan! I'll check that channel out. 

The Zimmerit came out really well. 

I've noticed that MENG uses ABS plastic for their cute models which is probably why you had some issues with gluing it. Tamiya Extra Thin cement will work on ABS as I used it on my Firefly that I'm building without any issues. Tamiya have recently come out with an ABS specific cement.

Carl

3 hours ago, BloorwestSiR said:

The Zimmerit came out really well. 

I've noticed that MENG uses ABS plastic for their cute models which is probably why you had some issues with gluing it. Tamiya Extra Thin cement will work on ABS as I used it on my Firefly that I'm building without any issues. Tamiya have recently come out with an ABS specific cement.

Carl

So that's why! I'll keep the heads up about tamiya in mind. I like to use some glue to be sure. 

• 1 month later...

So, with the messerschmitt waiting for me to find a base for it, it is time to get back to this project. The so called porsche tigers first deployed in Normandy had a three colour camouflage that I decided to replicate. It is a little difficult to figure out how to do it. The green and browns dominated the basic yellow ochre. I experimented with blue-tak but decided to just do the stripes free hand. 

In hindsight it would be nice to alternate between an AB with each colour. Maybe I can try that on Wednesday. 

I started with an overall layer of yellow mixed with white (13-15%) to get a scale effect. No problems there. The brown otoh, did NOT want to play nicely. 

IMG_20190121_215829287_zpscyhiychg.jpg

In this situation something dependable is good to go to. 

Ie. Tamiya red brown. I'll go buy that on Wednesday. 

I'll also buy the appropriate green colour, just as a back up.