Wingnut Wings Photo - Clues?

Guest DeanKB

17 hours ago, ringleheim said:

I don't think this is some type of camouflage.  I think the books indicate their intentions to do those airplanes.  How far they may be into the planning, I don't know.

WNW would be wise to listen to their customers and release some French and Italian aircraft!

As far as we know, the company exists purely to create WWI model kits that Peter Jackson finds interesting and which don't exist elsewhere in the market.  And in so doing, they need to break even, cover their costs, but not necessarily make a profit.

That directive doesn't mean every single kit they release must be a smash hit, nor does it have to be something that Peter Jackson loves.  Let's say he hates Aircraft X, but it will sell by the tens of thousands.  That should put plenty of money in their coffers to finance the really oddball kit that Peter Jackson adores, but which will sell very poorly.

A great example is the Dr.I.  They should do that kit and sell it as a bread winner and use the proceeds to make the next weirdo project that excites Jackson but won't make any $ at all.

WNW doesn't really operate as a comercial business, though. It's the hobby of a very rich man. I suspect that profit margins come quite a way down the list of considerations when choosing subjects.

WnW are smart cookies.. They read forums keep an ear to the ground.

They also know that any photo is going to be analysed, discussed  etc..

is the photo a meme playing to the French and Italian comments that always pop up around WnW threads??

Personally I’d have chucked a Bf109 and Spitfire book on the desk and Watched model forums implode....

10 hours ago, vince14 said:

WNW doesn't really operate as a comercial business, though. It's the hobby of a very rich man. I suspect that profit margins come quite a way down the list of considerations when choosing subjects.

I've yet to meet a wealthy person that's not interested in having even more money.

2 hours ago, LSP_Typhoonattack said:

I've yet to meet a wealthy person that's not interested in having even more money.

I'm sure that each kit WNW sells makes them some profit, but it's not the main driver behind the decision on which kits they produce - they make what PJ wants them to make.

If all PJ wanted was to make massive profits, we'd have a WNW Dr.I, SPAD XIII, 109, Mustang, Spitfire...

Edited by vince14

1 hour ago, vince14 said:

I'm sure that each kit WNW sells makes them some profit, but it's not the main driver behind the decision on which kits they produce - they make what PJ wants them to make.

If all PJ wanted was to make massive profits, we'd have a WNW Dr.I, SPAD XIII, 109, Mustang, Spitfire...

Exactly.

The market for, say,1/32 Salmsons, DFW's & Rumplers is far, far, far smaller than the Fokker Triplane, SPAD or - dare I say it? - 109 or 190.

1 hour ago, Kagemusha said:

In this podcast they say Peter Jackson's favourite aircraft is the Spitfire, I think it's about time we saw a WnW FR.18 for starters.

It would certainly be interesting.

But WWII modelling is, in my opinion, far more difficult than WWI modelling. So much more reference material available, surviving examples, etc. Every man and his dog has an opinion on the Spitfire, but mention, for example, a Rumpler C.IV or Roland C.II and his eyes glaze over.

Plus, of course, WWII 1/32 seems to be fast running out of saleable new subjects, and I'd rather WNW popped out obscure WWI stuff, than produced yet more 109's and Spitfires. 

23 minutes ago, LSP_Ray said:

As long as he owns a ton of Microsoft stock, as he does, he is always making more money. And the crazy thing is other billionaires give him their money to dispose of!

Its still money going elsewhere and where its needed ... could mention some world leaders wealth here but I wont :)

But back to topic subject please.