Sign in to follow this  
thierry laurent

Can you believe this???

Yesterday one technician working on a F-16 for the Belgian Air Force succeeded in triggering the Vulcan gun while the armed plane was in a hangar... However, right in front of the building, two other fully armed planes were moving to take off... 

Guess what is the result...? 

The guy got his first and surely last "victory" . The BAF has one F-16 less in the inventory. :-(

I cannot believe it. How is this possible? I cannot think they complied with the most basic security regulations! 

This is possibly the most stupid way to lose 75 millions of dollars... 

2 minutes ago, Shawn M said:

wow thats scary, hopefully the pilot of the destroyed plane is ok

Was just thinking that..................fully armed plane, getting hit with multiple Gatling type rounds............

Why was there ammunition in the gun? I imagine that most military aircraft are not armed up in peace time...or maybe they are?

Yeah, but can you imagine the pile of poo in that technicians pants when it stopped? I bet he was dripping all the way to the Colonels office!

In all seriousness, planes are lost every day, at least he was not hurt, no one killed, and everybody got to go home. Judging from the crew ladder, the pilot made it out. Although, Im sure he needed an underwear change also.

Defective WOW switch?   No hold back installed?  No safing pin installed?  Looks pretty suspicious to me unless there was a major and I mean MAJOR failure...

I will be real interested to hear what the investigation turns up.

Kirk Taylor

1 hour ago, BradG said:

Why was there ammunition in the gun? I imagine that most military aircraft are not armed up in peace time...or maybe they are?

They are armed when planes are used for normal security patrols.  Just consider the 9/11 case or even the need to protect your borders from lurking foreign planes  as this is occuring very often on the northern borders of Europe.

You will be surprised to know that even if we only have sixty kilometers of sea coast our pilots have already intercepted Russian Tu-160 bombers close to our borders!