HKM Lancaster Dambusters conversion kit

GrahamF

All the parts are done for this now but I have a question? Is anyone still up for this? It's going to be £47.00 plus postage, the reason I ask as time is short now for SMW 2018 and there are other more

pressing projects to get finished for the show.

Kind regards

Graham

From my end ... too early to say.

I don't yet have a Lancaster kit available for purchase ... neither do I have any idea what it'll cost when It arrives for sale on these shores.

nice to know the sticker on your end though ... it'll help with the decision when the time comes ... does your's include the trolley?

Rog :)

Though I am not a player in either kit, I would worry that if the price of the conversion added to the cost of the HK kit comes near to the WNW release, then many will likely opt for the later. Add to this the possibility of two separate shipping charges. 

However, the "stressed skin" effect from WNW will make the two kits appear quite different. If that attempt not popular with the builder, then a dambuster conversion for the HK kit would be welcomed, I believe.

HTH

Mark Proulx

This sucks! I was seriously looking at a HKM Lanc + Dambusters conv, but as others have said, I will probably at least wait till WNW announces their pricing before I get one. Definitely put out that bomb trolley, though, if you haven't already!

I will take an Attacker, though, and will order that trolley at the same time!

i would have considered this, but now will definitely not

if - and it is an "if" - I do a Dambuster Lanc - it will absolutely be the WNW version

reasons: 

1. the base kit will be better

2. i am not confident about chopping up a £350 kit

Sorry, but at least I hope the reasoning is useful?

So if I were you, I would shelve the whole thing, or maybe make one up and take some  *high quality* pics to show people, and then only do fully pre-paid orders

16 minutes ago, nmayhew said:

i would have considered this, but now will definitely not

if - and it is an "if" - I do a Dambuster Lanc - it will absolutely be the WNW version

reasons: 

1. the base kit will be better

2. i am not confident about chopping up a £350 kit

Sorry, but at least I hope the reasoning is useful?

So if I were you, I would shelve the whole thing, or maybe make one up and take some  *high quality* pics to show people, and then only do fully pre-paid orders

Its sounds like reasonable logic ... but for me, No.1 MAY only be correct if the 617 Lancs had oil caning ... If they were new kites straight out of the factory - the HKM kit + Iconicair conversion may prove to be more accurate.

I haven't seen test shots of the WnW kit yet either, so while I suspect the kit may indeed be 'better' accuracy wise ... it's too early to call.

Then there's the price factor ... will an HKM + Iconicair conversion be more expensive than a full WnW kit? ... again ... too early to tell.

I completely agree with your reluctance to chop apart an expensive kit though ... 

Rog :)

Thanks guys for the info, I'll put the conversion kit to bed for now and get on with casting the Attacker, BTW there was no cutting up of the kit apart from drilling 4 x 1.5mm holes for the support arms and 4 for the hydraulic motor in the bomb bay. I don't care much for the 'so called definitive' info that WNW are working with for the Dambuster from but I'll keep quiet on that.

Graham

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure if I’ll be up for any of these kits yet (1/32 Lancasters) but my personal preference is the HKM Lanc for the Dam Buster version. The stressed effect is great for a well used plane, IMHO, but I prefer the ‘cleaner’ look for the Dam Buster.  That looks like very hard yards to achieve on the WNW Dam Buster.

Therefore I would be up for a conversion set, if I go the 1/32 path with the Lanc’s. As has been suggested, maybe manufacture on request?

My 5 cents worth.

PR