Aires Skyhawk Resin Detail Set

Mark P

I am well aware of "issues" that can arise using Aires detail sets.

Has anyone tried the Aires Cockpit/Wheel Well set in 32nd scale for the A-4F? If so, any major issues in their application? I would like to know before shelling out hard earned cash for something that is more of a PITA than its worth...

Mark Proulx

Hi Mark

I have fitted the wheelbay sets into the wing and they were a really good fit.  The cockpit goes in pretty well too.  However dont fall into the trap I did with it.  When test fitting my Kahu cockpit panel/HUD & coaming I had glued the nose wheelwell already glued in and when I went to fit the resin tub I found that it sat on an angle and skewed a little.  I had to remove the well.  I would say, when you fit the nose wheelwell, position the cockpit tub at the same time or nothing will line up later on.  Or glue the tub and well together first and do all at once.

I think however it was my fault I couldnt get a good fit, I didnt think far enough ahead. Now when I test fit it drops in nicely.

I can highly recommend the Aires stuff, its beautifully cast.  Harolds wheels are a must also...

HTH, cheers

Anthony 

Reviewing mine tonight I would say the fit is really good to excellent. Minimal amount of effort to fit the thing to the plastic - most of the lugs on the fuse halves that hold the stock plastic pit tub also are used to fit the Aires or at least do not interfere with it and do not need removal. No thinning of the fuse halves was needed to fit the Aires stuff.

The MLG wells fit good also with some cutting/removal of plastic required on the wing halves to get them to fit, but nothing major.