VintageEagle

Marketplace for scale model spare parts

Hello everyone,

We know it all: we mess up a part and lose interest in a build as it is not easy to fix and there are no spare parts that would be easily available from the manufacturer. We are lucky if we know some friends who have the part we need in an unfinished kit. 

I was exactly in this situation recently. I could order spare parts from the manufacturer, but it took them weeks to ship. So I thought why not create an online marketplace where anybody can offer and buy spare parts. We all have unfinished kits with hundreds of spare parts that other modellers may need. 

But before I spend too much time and money for such a project, I wanted to hear your opinion. Would you use such a service? Or do you think it is not necessary as you usually trade parts with your local modelling community?

Cheers

Roger

www.vintageeagle.com

Sounds like a fantastic idea. I'm always losing parts to the carpet beast. 

Personally I wouldn't use it that often as my output is too low, only finding a few hours a week for my hobby!

I can only imagine that it would eat up a lot of your time to keep track of all parts and pieces in a database.  One would have to be very dedicated to the cause.  If one was to get it going again, I would gladly donate to the cause.   I was a recepiant of Larrys generosity and I'll gladly pay it forward.  

I think it could only work as some web-site with a database, where one, once registered, would upload his stash of parts.

And people could search for the parts they need and would get a contact to the person that has them.

And the exchange would happen directly between the two involved.

But this would require quite a lot of dedicated people, who would be willing to upload their lists and keep them up to date.

And some donations for the site maintenance.

Juraj 

There is a guy on ebay that parts out kits, what he does is sells the entire runner in the bag.  So yes there is a market, there are also commonly good deals on kits that have been started and there should be more value in the parts than in the started model.  I have currently three Tamiya 1/32 planes that I purchased in.started condition because I could get them cheap.  I planned on building them but have considered throwing two of them up for sale.  

The third one is a Spitfire MK IX and I know I am going to build another of those at some point so I plan on keeping that for sure but the other two are Tamiya Zeros and they fall into I want to build them but question whether I am going to really get to them.  

I traded parts and the remains of whole kits years back with Larry Hawins.  He was very generous with his parts supply but most importantly his time.  I remember that being a central contact was hard work and not something I wanted to do.  So to ease the burden we kept a simple running list of wants and availability of parts.  I would go shopping if necessary for flea market priced kits where our needs intersected and dump my spares box and mail it off to him.  I think that one central person is doomed to burnout.

My proposal is for each person wanting to play would manage a thread containing a list of of kits and description spares available along with a list of general and specific wants.  This could be updated in a similar manner as the for sale and trade.  The moderators would decide how to organize this.  Some rules and norms will be needed to help dodge circling vultures any mooching.

An example:

Available parts from my stash:

5 PMC Mk. IX and 4 Hasegawa Mk.V Spitfire conversions to later variants (e.g, rudders, props wheels, canopy, struts, cockpit parts)

Hobbycraft P-51A Alison Mustang parts replaced by aftermarket

Revell P-51D-NA-5 remains from B conversion with P-51A kit and remains from aftermarket.  Kit canopies replaced by Tamiya canopies.

Revell Ju-88A-1 to A-4 Torp conversion and aftermarket remainders.

5 Eduard Bf-109E-1 to B and D conversions.

10 Hasegawa Bf-109 kits; conversions, variants not built and parts replaced by after market. 

Various Jerry Rutman resin kit spares.

Ask me about the new Revell Bf-109s and old Revell prop kits

Wants:

none at this time

Comments please

Rick

Thank you all for your comments. 

I would not personally manage a database, but it would be a marketplace like eBay where modellers can register themselves and offer their arts to others. The deal would be done by the vendor and the buyer. One way to cover the costs of such a marketplace is to charge a % of the deal value or to use advertising. 

I think the user interface would have to be very simple to quickly add new parts. Trust and integrity of the marketplace is another important factor for success. 

Roger

Edited by VintageEagle

Personally, I think that development of a database is cumbersome and quite likely unnecessary. 

I also dealt with Larry Hawkins on a few occasions; I received much needed parts, and sent my spares in return.

I have a pretty good handle on what I have in my stash (upwards of 150 kits), and the mention of a particular kit is often enough to spark the "Aha" - I have that kit (or I built that kit).

I'm not a computer guru, but it seems to me that a subtopic in the Vendors and Traders Board might fit nicely and be relatively easy to implement.  Instead of listing what parts/kits are available, make it for parts requests only. The rest can be dealt with through PMs. Once a parts quest is successful, it would be the requestors responsibility to remove the thread.

Just my two cents.

Bill,

thank you for your thoughts. I think where the benefit of a marketplace could be is that it would be forum independent and potentially reach much more modelers. Both those who offer parts and those who seek parts would benefit from a larger demand and supply. 

You wouldn’t have to read dozens of “wanted” posts, but just offer what you have and wait for a potential buyer to find your offer. 

A modern marketplace would not have to be programmed completely from scratch but would be based on a standard software customized for the purpose. 

But you may be right in that such a solution could be over engineered for what it tries to achieve and that such transactions will continue to be done via “wanted” requests among local communities and forums. 

Cheers

Roger

I am a member of a couple of facebook groups for the exchange of classic car parts, and it works very well, so you might consider that. Groups of that sort are, IMO, the only good reason for facebook to exist at all. Otherwise, it would be worthless.