Bf109E-7/Trop Jg 27 Black 3 or 8

bdthoresen

Good Evening All- I have decided to enter yet another groupbuild with this ancient monstrosity...........
OYF8Uzy.jpg

I will be using the ancient Matchbox kit to build either the famous Black 3 or Black 8 from North Africa, Jg 27. I  intend to keep the build as simple as I can, and add a few scratch details as I go to improve certain areas. The aim is to try and prove what can be done with a small amount of effort on a kit that is as old as I am......A real "Classic Bash". This kit had a small amount of assembly done on its motor, but it is cleanly done and well bellow the 25% threshhold. Hope you will follow along with me and see what kind of trouble I will get into. Some areas I see need some improvement are some cockpit details, and lack of sufficient gear bays or exhausts. This will be an adventure using what I have on hand.......

Looking forward to following this one, Thor. Got a couple of these in the stash myself, and even started one of them at one point. Must dig it out again some day! Until then, I'll live vicariously through your build.

Kev

Assembled the engine tonight, and the styrene has proved to be easy to work with, being a bit soft, and responding well to Tamiya Extra Thin. There is a bit of flash on all parts, and the detail is a bit chunky, but I find the details surprisingly good for 1977! I have assembled the whole power-egg, which I plan to paint in a bit of Spanish-style to try and make some of the details pop a bit more; Even though the cowling will be closed, it should still be a great experiment. Anyway, onto the pics!
tNUB78h.jpg
vQ7uinI.jpg
zo0l7RE.jpg

That's all for tonight folks; Cockpit work next!

THOR    :ph34r:

56 minutes ago, LSP_Kevin said:

Looking forward to following this one, Thor. Got a couple of these in the stash myself, and even started one of them at one point. Must dig it out again some day! Until then, I'll live vicariously through your build.

Kev

Hey thanks for checking in, Kev. This kit is pretty rough, but it has a nice shape. I am truly curious to see what some minor scratchbuilding, some sanding, filling, thinning and a slick paint job will do to bring it up to a more modern standard. I am actually enjoying the hell out of this right now! Thanks again!

Thor     

3 hours ago, Gazzas said:

Thor,

I've never seen this kit before, so it should be interesting to watch.  From the first photo I can see some interesting upper wing detail that I can't say I've seen on any other 109.

:popcorn:

Gaz

Hey Gaz, thanks for checking in. There definitely are some curious details present here. The panel lines are typical Matchbox of the period..... if you run a finger over them, you will trip your hand! But, this kit seems fun overall, and that is what it is about! Moving on to the cockpit tonight, so we will see what comes out of it. 

Later man!

Thor    :ph34r:

11 hours ago, Thomas Lund said:

Fun to see this kit again. Built it AGES ago and in my mind it was remebered as an good kit... Looking at it now makes me realizer how far we've come in kit quality :-)

You are so right Thomas! We have come along way. I prefer to look at it like you cannot appreciate the present, without looking towards the past. This kit is a lot of fun, and it is a nice break from my more serious projects at the moment. Thanks for stopping by.....

Thor     :ph34r:

3 hours ago, Alain Gadbois said:

Hi Thor,

I read the kit is very accurate in shape, but, as you said, pretty rough. I am certainly curious to see how it will look like after a bit of work! 

Very interesting project!

Alain

Hi Alain. Yes, the kit definitely looks every bit a 109E, but it does suffer from thick/chunky detail parts, as well as trench-like panel lines that were typical of the period with Matchbox. But, I am going to see how much work it will take to make the model presentable, if not 100% accurate. I have completed some work on the cockpit, and will photograph and post it this evening when I get home from work. Thanks for checking in. By the way, did you ever finish your 262 kit-bash?

Thor    :ph34r:

Good evening, everyone. Back again with an update on the 109, and I have been busy working on the cockpit interior....

One of my favorite modelers of all time is a gentleman who used to frequent here regularly, Brian Cauchi. Brian is the epitome of a "classic basher".......using old kits, aftermarket, and scratchbuilding to produce some of the finest models I have ever seen. He has a ton of articles on LSP, and if you have not checked out his work, do so. You will not be disappointed.  Two of my favorite articles of his involved rebuilding a Revell P-40E, and a Revell Corsair.  Both builds used aftermarket, and some killer scratchbuilding to turn out the best builds of these kits I have ever seen, not to mention they were both built previously by someone else when he started them! I intend to use this thread as a bit of a tribute towards him. Thanks Brian!

Here is the kit seat; I have thinned it out, and opened up the hole in the seatback that the harness passes through; I used a German buckle set leftover from Fotocut, which, with wine bottle foil straps, made a respectable harness.

Jje76Rk.jpg

I have also built the harness support bar from styrene rod and sheet;

Dq2wZy6.jpg

Here is the cockpit tub; I have fabricated the anit-skid on either side of the stick with brass screen; I also fabricated the seat adjustment tracks from styrene "c" channel; The rear hatch was fabricated from .010" styrene sheet; I still need to fabricate the latch mechanism (as soon as I can find a close-up picture of it); The plumbing was made from armature wire, and was modeled after a picture of a captured aircraft I had in one of my books;

k8zWw9e.jpg

Here is a shot of the seat near the tub; as you can see that the seat should slide down the tracks into place;

QrXAyV5.jpg

And here it is in place where it will sit;

0LLKskS.jpg

Here is a shot of the instrument panel in its early stages; I have made the overlays from styrene, and will be making the bezels from scratch as well; the only concession is I might have to splurge on some Airscale instruments to "church" it up a bit; switches from copper wire;

hIoDbH5.jpg

Here is a shot of the kit's rudder pedal (broken off the one piece rudder bar) next to a leftover True Details 109E rudder pedal; I might have a go at trying to cast a second one, as I do not have both; I am not even sure where the first one came from!

Kd5iYEG.jpg

And some of the interior parts. As you can see, they need some serious help; I have not decided how much I will attack them yet, but one battle at a time as they say!

yp09WGL.jpg

That is all for now, folks. As always, comments, questions, and critiques always welcome. Thanks for checking in!

THOR    :ph34r:

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/28/2018 at 4:01 PM, Alain Gadbois said:

Nice work Thor! I may have some info of the cockpit you could use. Also, I did make progress on the 262, but I will post when I can be sure  I have enough free time to complete the kit.

Alain

Hello Alain! Thanks for checking in. I will take all of the help I can get for the cockpit sidewalls, as I do not have any real clear shots of their wartime layout. Any help would be appreciated!

THOR

Edited by bdthoresen