Kitty Hawk's new Black Hawk!!!

Robthepom

2 hours ago, Starfighter said:

Such a shame they missed the opportunity to make a kit with realistic raised rived detail... yes, I may be repeating myself, but I won't stop complaining about this. 

Same here.   Not even close to what the real thing looks like.  Might as well saved even more money and went with raised panel lines while they were at it.   Unfortunately, it’s typical KH.  Equally unfortunately,  it’s unlikely that that anyone else will be going this helo in 35th scale, so it is what it is. 

18 hours ago, chrish said:

I have the Academy kit in the stash, is this one going to be so much better?

just curious...

This kit will be light years better than the 20 year old Academy kit. Many UH/HH-60 experts headed up by Werner Wings have provided alot of valuable input into their new line of Hawk kits. 

As far as recessed vs raised rivets, it's ultimately up to the model company to choose. I think this argument is blown out of proportion and I'm a rivet counter when it comes to UH/HH/MH-60 hawk models.

The 1st of the year will be here soon enough, and in the words of a wise modeler, "Better correct than fast!"

Tim

9 hours ago, Hawkwrench said:

This kit will be light years better than the 20 year old Academy kit. Many UH/HH-60 experts headed up by Werner Wings have provided alot of valuable input into their new line of Hawk kits. 

As far as recessed vs raised rivets, it's ultimately up to the model company to choose. I think this argument is blown out of proportion and I'm a rivet counter when it comes to UH/HH/MH-60 hawk models.

The 1st of the year will be here soon enough, and in the words of a wise modeler, "Better correct than fast!"

Tim

It's not blown out of proportion. It is a very distinctive feature of the real a/c which has a huge impact on how the model can be painted and weathered. Recessed rivets can't be weathered like the raised rivets weather on the real aircraft. As a consequence, the model can only be built in an unrealistic way if built from the box. I work for a scale model company - I actually develop scale models for a living - and at least my company's philosophy is to offer a perfect replicas of the real thing. If a surface detail is raised, it has to be raised on the model, that's not a question of 'taste', it's just a bad decision and an utter shame. The only one happy about this are companies offering raised rivet decals...

Edited by Starfighter

6 hours ago, Starfighter said:

I actually develop scale models for a living - and at least my company's philosophy is to offer a perfect replicas of the real thing. 

Nobody - I repeat nobody - makes a perfect replica of any aircraft or vehicle. You always have to compromise somewhere when reducing the scale of a real object.

4 hours ago, CATCplSlade said:

Nobody - I repeat nobody - makes a perfect replica of any aircraft or vehicle. You always have to compromise somewhere when reducing the scale of a real object.

No one makes a perfect replica. That's fully understood.   However, this completely alters the presentation of the kit.  It's also not up to the current standard of kits being released in 2018.  It's no more acceptable than if they opted to go with raised panel lines.   I don't think anyone else uses this approach these days.  Heck, most models in smaller scales have realistic surface details.   It's not hard to pull off, my guess is that KH just wanted to save some money on tooling.

I know these guys aren't at the same level as top tier manufactures like Tamiya but given that Dragon was able to pull off realistic rivets on their 20 year old OH-6A helo, there is no reason for anyone today to not be able to do the same thing.   If nothing else, forego the pincushion look and just provide panel lines and a smooth exterior.  You'd save folks dozens of hours trying to get an acceptable surface so they could spend dozens of additional hours applying thousands of Archer rivets all over the model.

Just sad that they went to the trouble of employing some truly talented Subject Matter Experts and then cut corners on this issue. 

With regard to Live Resin, those figures are amazing.  Pricey but absolutely amazing.  I believe another outfit also has some current US helo pilots as well.  Can't recall the company name but the owner (Norbert) posts here and on ARC.  His stuff is also first rate.