AMS F4U-5N Conversion for the Trumpeter F4U-4

LSP_Kevin

Wish Tamiya would do a -4B! And a -5, and a -7, and an AU-1!!! Until then, we can only do with what we got. If I had all the time in the world, I would learn 3D CAD and work up some conversions myself for 3D printing, but unfortunately starting with a -1D it would require a LOT of conversion parts.

Hmmm...thinking about it, though, if you did a late WWII -4B, you could use the kit windshield, and maybe a Trumpy or AM -4 cockpit, an AM engine, and then all you would need is a re-worked cowl and exhaust setup and wings, plus a few other smaller details. Hmmm... 

thanx for the nice reveiw, Ray!

to be perfectly clear: the resin set was from Olivier Pinsolle for a -7, it is oop. he gave me the permission to remaster his parts: i converted the cowl with intake cheeks, the fuselage plug with the different exhaust location, cockpit parts and ip to a -5N. the exhaust stubs were mastered by me. the rest of the perts are recasts from Olivier, except the radar which was mastered by Harold. the canopy is vacformed by me from a master pulled from Oliviers canopy.

if you do the conversion, dont expect plug-and-play.

i am still working on getting the decals printed

the brass barrels you need for a nightfighter come from master for the skyraider kit

starting with a tamiya kit would be one hell of a job, see my thread for all the things you have to change on the trumpy kit

Edited by blackbetty

1 hour ago, blackbetty said:

thanx for the nice reveiw, Ray!

to be perfectly clear: the resin set was from Olivier Pinsolle for a -7, it is oop. he gave me the permission to remaster his parts: i converted the cowl with intake cheeks, the fuselage plug with the different exhaust location, cockpit parts and ip to a -5N. the exhaust stubs were mastered by me. the rest of the perts are recasts from Olivier, except the radar which was mastered by Harold. the canopy is vacformed by me from a master pulled from Oliviers canopy.

Hi 

And because you are in, why not a -7 parts complete re- issue? I know a lot of people waiting for an  F4U-7 ;-)

Thank you

12 hours ago, rafju said:

Hi 

And because you are in, why not a -7 parts complete re- issue? I know a lot of people waiting for an  F4U-7 ;-)

Thank you

Too bad he already modded the -7 parts!!!

Actually, if Olivier was ok with it, I have my -7 conversion still, untouched, but don't know how the vac canopy would go.

42 minutes ago, LSP_Ray said:

Too bad he already modded the -7 parts!!!

Actually, if Olivier was ok with it, I have my -7 conversion still, untouched, but don't know how the vac canopy would go.

My -7 conversion fits only where it touches, and that is not in many places. What we really need is to cajole resin2detail to push ahead with several late mark conversions for the Tamiya kit. New noses, under fuselage, windscreen, canopy and raised fairing, interiors, props. We should all be capable of puttying over the wings and rescibing.