Monogram Piper Tri Pacer VH-OLD the man meets the machine

ericg

Hi Matt,

Glad you and your family like it and I appreciate your comments. 

All things going to plan, I have been invited to go for a fly in VH-OLD next Friday 3rd of May, when I come over from QLD to attend the Western Australian Scale Model Expo. I will be bringing the model to enter it in the competition if you are in Perth  and would like to see it.

cheers,

Eric.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the comments.

I was able to take the Tri-Pacer across the other side of the country on the weekend to attend the model show in Perth. The highlight of the trip was being able to take to the air in ‘Oscar Lima Delta’  for a joy flight with Phil, the owner at the controls. It was pretty cool to fly across the continent in a Boeing 787 then jump into an aircraft 60 years older a few hours later, a very different contrast of technology. Phil was pretty stoked to see the model of his aircraft, but not as stoked as I was to be able to enjoy the smell of AVGAS, the noise and feeling of actually flying in something that I have recreated. I was lucky enough to meet Matt and his family on the weekend as well. Matt’s father Robin was the person who restored VH-OLD into its beautiful current state after it was written off as per pictures earlier in my thread. Robin is visible standing behind the tail of the partially rebuilt aircraft in an earlier photo.

Enroute to Western Australia.

IMG_7290-4K.jpg

Me looking pretty bloody happy upon introducing the two different sized aircraft. (And relieved that the blue paint colour was in the same ballpark!!)

IMG_7318-X4.jpg

A sense of scale

IMG_7311-X5.jpg

1500 feet AGL and loving it. Phil kindly agreed to allowing one of my best mates Tony to come along for the ride.

IMG_7297-X5.jpg

Phil with model. I think we worked out that I had forgotten to scratchbuild the IPAD mount in the model. Otherwise, Phil was pretty happy with it!

IMG_7305-X5.jpg

Matt and family pretty happy to see their father and grandfathers hard work recreated in miniature 

IMG_7325-X5.jpg

Post flight debrief with Tony at the RACWA bar. 

IMG_7315-X5.jpg

An enjoyable and cherished memory.

IMG_7317-X5.jpg

"An enjoyable and cherished memory"

I'll bet! 

Damn man, tell me you didnt walk/wait through airport lines, then all the way to and back from Perth holding that thing did you??