Revell Spitfire MKIIa No.41 Squadron RAF

Totalize

On 10/14/2018 at 3:17 PM, LSP_Typhoonattack said:

That's perfectly OK, David. I'm considering a big Spit, and am torn between the old tool Revell, Hasegawa/Revell hybrid, or the new Revell kit.

Go for it my friend. I am sure you will make a master of it.

Cheers,

David.

33 minutes ago, Totalize said:

Go for it my friend. I am sure you will make a master of it.

Cheers,

David.

I'm glad that you have that much confidence in me. If I recall correctly, the old, original Revell Spitfire was actually pretty darned decent and should be fairly inexpensive too, which is a good thing for me. 

46 minutes ago, LSP_Typhoonattack said:

I'm glad that you have that much confidence in me. If I recall correctly, the old, original Revell Spitfire was actually pretty darned decent and should be fairly inexpensive too, which is a good thing for me. 

The new Revell Spitfire costs a shade under £20. That's a bloody bargain!! Don't go farting around with a 50 year old kit, when you can have a brand new, decent, basic kit for not much money at all.

13 minutes ago, DeanKB said:

The new Revell Spitfire costs a shade under £20. That's a bloody bargain!! Don't go farting around with a 50 year old kit, when you can have a brand new, decent, basic kit for not much money at all.

Part of the appeal for me of the old Revell kit is pure nostalgia, not to mention the cool box art.

17 hours ago, LSP_Typhoonattack said:

Part of the appeal for me of the old Revell kit is pure nostalgia, not to mention the cool box art.

I'm nostalgic when it comes to the actual aeroplanes - I spend hours upon hours in museums, at airshows, in books, etc.

But when it comes to modelling them, I must say I prefer modern, more technically advanced kits, over the older "original" boxings.

8 minutes ago, DeanKB said:

I'm nostalgic when it comes to the actual aeroplanes - I spend hours upon hours in museums, at airshows, in books, etc.

But when it comes to modelling them, I must say I prefer modern, more technically advanced kits, over the older "original" boxings.

Basically, I agree, as I too generally tend to shop for the best kits available at the moment. However, handling and looking at the box art from a valued kit from my youth, brings back a flood of joyous and fond memories, and a new kit simply cannot do that. That makes some of the older nostalgia kits priceless and irreplaceable, at least from my perspective.

29 minutes ago, LSP_Typhoonattack said:

Basically, I agree, as I too generally tend to shop for the best kits available at the moment. However, handling and looking at the box art from a valued kit from my youth, brings back a flood of joyous and fond memories, and a new kit simply cannot do that. That makes some of the older nostalgia kits priceless and irreplaceable, at least from my perspective.

I understand - emotionally, the old kits bring exciting memories back to life, whilst the new kits make the hobby more enjoyable.

On 10/28/2018 at 4:09 AM, mozart said:

Back to David's magnificent Spit instead of you old farts reminiscing :) , I think you've got the finish absolutely spot on, a real gem for your display area/cabinet. Beautiful! 

Thank you Sir. Much appreciated.

• 2 months later...