1:32 Consolidated PB4Y-2 Privateer conversion

Iain

Needing to break out of my current rut - once I've finished the two-seat Spit - and a couple of other projects...

What I have in mind is a conversion of the forthcoming HobbyBoss B-24J to a Privateer.

Yes - I *know* it's a lot of work - and lots of scratch-building - but I've always liked the Privateer (I blame the Matchbox kit when I was a lot younger).

As this will purely be for my enjoyment - rather than a magazine, or customer, build - I recon I can make some rapid progress and not worry about it too much.

Having spent a lot of time looking into it I recon it's doable - but I want to take a run at it when the kits arrive and we start the multi-engine group build.

With the aim of being able to hit the ground running I'm collecting as much reference material as possible - the biggest challenge is in finding all the detail info you need on something like this.

Have two books on the way:

51C7VR331VL._SX384_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

51LBnYDdOqL._SX373_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Also found an e-book on Google:

U5JHDwAAQBAJ?fife=w200-h300

Have found some walk-round images here: https://www.net-maquettes.com/pictures/consolidated-pb4y-2-privateer/

Some useful images via Pinterest: https://pin.it/vn4j2x7neqrgup

And there are copies of drawings kicking about: https://www.google.com/search?q=consolidated+privateer+drawings&client=firefox-b&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiA_tnt7_HdAhWGNcAKHX_gBO8QsAR6BAgFEAE&biw=1440&bih=768

Also found someone on Ebay that's selling CDs of some of the tech docs.

I *really* fancy doing one of these - Aeronaval Indochina:

OK - so possibly a mad project I'll never finish - but feeling really positive about this one...

So - on lookout/leads to any/more info on the Privateer - gaps I really need to fill at the mo:

• Any dimensional details - fuselage, cowlings and tail - pref from Consolidated drawings/station dimensions
  • Detail shots of cowlings/nacelles and the lumps and bumps around the nose
  • Anything else that might be useful!

Generally - any Privateer info gratefully received!

Anyone up for having a go too - and sharing info/mouldings?

Iain

11 minutes ago, petrov27 said:

Very cool indeed! Please make aftermarket conversion set for the rest of us non scratchbuild capable :)

Hi Patrick - I'm afraid that has to be a definite no I'm afraid...

I learned from making patterns to correct the Trumpeter Lightnings that making items that are good enough to provide to others, as production quality items, is a real bear that completely sucks the enjoyment out of it and can be self defeating (for me, anyway).

Happy to share info/research/techniques (hence thread) - and, perhaps, a few parts to help others - but otherwise I need to keep pressure like that well away from this if it has any chance of reaching completion!

Iain

4 minutes ago, Jennings Heilig said:

We have a beautifully restored PB4Y-2 at Pima.  At some point I'll go down and shoot a walk around series on it for you.  The only external thing that's not stock is the single piece windscreen, leftover from her days as a fire bomber.  

Jennings - that would be really useful!

Iain

Hi Ron,

I believe from US Navy experience in operating the PB4Y-1:

• Single tail gave more stability - especially in engine out situations - hence adoption of the B-24N tail (albeit slightly taller).
  • Fuselage extension ahead of wing (7' ?) was US Navy requirement to add a Flight Engineer station behind cockpit.
  • Cowling/nacelle changes - no need for turbo-superchargers as operating at lower altitudes.

I think it results in a nicer looking airframe - but will also do a standard B-24J as operated by 389th Bomb Group at Hethel (now the Lotus Cars factory) - in OD/Grey.

Iain

I had the same idea when the B-24 was announced but went back with the wishful thinking of a future Hobby boss release... However, very frankly, your approach is probably closer to the reality! At least, if you need info about French ones, I have multiple French books about the Aeronavale in Indochina. 

I'd be really surprised if anyone does a Privateer in kit form Thierry (that said, there are a lot of subjects out/promised in 1:32 that I never thought we'd ever see) - so I think it's fairly safe to have a go at a conversion.

Any input/help/advice as we move forward *much* appreciated.  :)

Iain

I've actually been seriously looking into 3D printed Privateer conversion. I started in on some of the designs decided to wait until the Hobbyboss kit was released so that I could tailor it to the actual kit,  rather than publish dimensions. For example, when designing the 7-foot nose extension I could use the actual fuselage cross-section but that doesn't mean that it would fit what hobbyboss produces. Other parts, like the horizontal stabs I've actually been able to make some good progress on.  I'll see if I can post some progress this weekend.