1:32 Consolidated PB4Y-2 Privateer conversion

Iain

Some great inspiration here - in 1:48: https://imodeler.com/2017/06/148-privateer-soonercon-an-inspiration-for-my-next-build/

Also - fate lent a hand this am when someone on one of the other model forums posted a batch of kits for sale - one of which was the 1:72 Revell (Matchbox) kit - plus the Cobra Company resin and vac detail set - so have purchased that for reference, along with a few other bits and bobs (the Cobra set looks superb).

It's good to dream BiG (sometimes).

Iain

Indeedy - see you next Thurs!  :)

As I'm using this thread as a bit of an information gathering repository - that might help other Privateer fans - here's another useful resource I've just found online - Flight Manual PB4Y-2 Airplane - which also includes a station diagram (factory dimensions frame, by frame, from common datum - priceless!) towards the end - as well as some really useful detail images:

http://www.avialogs.com/index.php/en/aircraft/usa/consolidated/pb4yprivateer/flight-manual-pb4y-2-airplane.html

And some even better photos - PB4Y-2 Line Maintenance Manual - radio/radar kit:

http://aafradio.org/sidebar/PB4Y2_Line_Maintenance_Manual.html

Hopefully not boring everyone!

Iain

On 10/8/2018 at 4:02 PM, titan said:

Just sketchup with a bunch of plugins like curviloft and some of the spline tools.  Sketchup by itself is pretty limited with the plugins it becomes significantly more capable.  I'd rather use a more powerful package like Rhino but I don't have a spare $1,000 for that.

Indeed - was trying to learn Rhino using the trial package - but ran out of time on the 3 month trial.  :(

Can't justify purchase unless I can get a return on it - maybe one day!

I might take a look at sketchup!

Happy to share any info on the Privateer I get with you if useful!

Iain

Found some superb photos of the Pima Air and Space Museum Privateer being repainted - scroll forwards and backwards to see more photos (mixed with a lot of other subjects) - but for clarity and detail, they are well worth it:

http://www.ipernity.com/doc/jbezosky/40567688

Having seen the B-24J test shot images today there are elements of the breakdown that will make the Privateer conversion easier than it could have been - for example:

• Separate lower wing nacelles - the nacelles are very different in shape on the Privateer with the cowling shapes rotated through 90 deg.
  • Wing root - separate spar - and wing-roots a flush/surface joint. Cut to make 7' fuselage extension won't be a vertical cut - but a 'dog leg' from behind upper turret opening to front edge of forward bomb bay.

Wing root design also makes changes to the wing cross-sectional shape to more readily reflect the Davis Wing easier to achieve - but will wait until I have the B-24J kit in my hands before commenting further...

Talking of kit in hands - the upper nose profile ahead of canopy looks like it may be wrong in the test shot photos - *if* it is it looks an easy enough fix with epoxy putty/a little reshaping.

*Really* want to get one of these kits in my hands now...  :)

Iain

I'll keep going with links as/when I find them - it's a useful centralised 'parking lot' for me to refer back to (and hopefully for others) as I find stuff.

Hoping thread will morph into an 'in progress' build/conversion from the New Year once we have the HB kits and we start the multi-engine GB.

Have not felt as inspired about a potential new project, as I have about this one, in a very long time - so there's hope!  :rolleyes:

If anyone else finds any useful resources, please chip in!

Iain

Production airframes were new builds Alan - with design changes based upon US Navy experience with the PB4Y-1 Liberator...

Interesting snippet I did find about the single tails on the B-24N (WarbirdTech Consolidated B-24 Liberator,  Page 38) were initially designed to be  compatible with the standard attachment fittings on the Liberator fuselage, for the possibility of supplying in kit form to convert twin-tailed airframes in the field.

Iain

On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 1:58 AM, Iain (32SIG) said:

Indeed - was trying to learn Rhino using the trial package - but ran out of time on the 3 month trial.  :(

Can't justify purchase unless I can get a return on it - maybe one day!

I might take a look at sketchup!

Happy to share any info on the Privateer I get with you if useful!

Iain

Many thanks.  I'm going to start up a WIP thread hopefully this evening.  I'd appreciate any help/feedback from the community as I attempt to move forward on this thing.