HKM 1/32 Lancaster Kit review

Gerhard

We have a Lanc in a museum in Perth (Bull Creek Aviation Heritage Museum) ... I was thinking of dropping by to have a gander in the next few weeks. I'm pretty sure she's a wartime bird flown by an Australian crew in England - but I'll check ... especially if I can get a clear shot at the exposed engine/radiator shown in a pic on the link. Anything else, in particular, anyone would like a photo of ... or information on?

https://www.raafawa.org.au/museum/avro-lancaster#!Lancaster_01_6

Rog :)

On 10/12/2018 at 10:33 AM, JamesHatch said:

Which internal structures have soft edges? I'm building it now and didn't notice any. Perhaps it was my photography?

Also, as for ejector pin marks, please remember that this is a TEST SHOT and not final quality. I can't say whether any pin marks will be seen on the final, but these things have tended to either lessen or disappear when HK do the finals.

You took great photos, it’s what convinced me of my opinion. Look at pictures of the interior of sanding he real aircraft, the Lanc has a lot of square edges and corners, none of them are rounded over, they are all sharp and defined. The HK interior parts all have soft round edges, and I don’t believe in the “limitation of injection molding” cop out. It’s like the the difference between a Tamiya and Revell Corsair kit, the differences are noticeable. And no I am not comparing the HK to the yet to be made Wingnut, what I am saying, is that injection technology is advanced enough to make better quality kits. The HK Lancaster is the most expensive bomber to date, and I expected better from them. For $100, no big deal, but not for a top of the range kit. This thing is much more money than the B-17, and that is why I expect the best, but I don’t think we are getting the “best”. Again, my opinion, my money. I know people will buy this, build it, and make a beautiful kit. I can also see that there will be a Big Ed kit for it, as there is room for improvement, but at the top of the range, it should already be there.

10 hours ago, 1to1scale said:

You took great photos, it’s what convinced me of my opinion. Look at pictures of the interior of sanding he real aircraft, the Lanc has a lot of square edges and corners, none of them are rounded over, they are all sharp and defined. The HK interior parts all have soft round edges, and I don’t believe in the “limitation of injection molding” cop out. It’s like the the difference between a Tamiya and Revell Corsair kit, the differences are noticeable. And no I am not comparing the HK to the yet to be made Wingnut, what I am saying, is that injection technology is advanced enough to make better quality kits. The HK Lancaster is the most expensive bomber to date, and I expected better from them. For $100, no big deal, but not for a top of the range kit. This thing is much more money than the B-17, and that is why I expect the best, but I don’t think we are getting the “best”. Again, my opinion, my money. I know people will buy this, build it, and make a beautiful kit. I can also see that there will be a Big Ed kit for it, as there is room for improvement, but at the top of the range, it should already be there.

Sorry, still confused. Can you see those soft edges here?

Screenshot%202018-10-14%20at%2009.12.45-

4 minutes ago, LSP_Ron said:

I'm just waiting for the opportunity to buy this kit and get started on it........

Me too. I'm honestly excited for my pre-order to show up. It's my Christmas present to myself! I keep telling myself, "aww, you shouldn't have."

- Dennis S.

Thornton, CO USA

7 hours ago, JamesHatch said:

Sorry, still confused. Can you see those soft edges here?

Screenshot%202018-10-14%20at%2009.12.45-

Soft?!

The edges on the oxygen bottles are bloody round. Round, I say! Same as the window corners, and those little dials. Can't have sharp edges and round bits. Like apples and oranges.

I'm so disgusted, I'm only buying one. 

To start with.

19 hours ago, 1to1scale said:

Send me yours then. I will quite happily sand the "round edges" square. :D:coolio:

52 minutes ago, Southern Bandit said:

It was more about soft as in undefined or should be defined I suppose that the original comment came from, but perhaps the softer photography style too? ... nobody mentioned round vs square, funny stuff though :)

Dont worry, we'll all have fun with our Lancaster's no matter the kit we choose.

This doesn’t measure against your analysis:

‘...the Lanc has a lot of square edges and corners, none of them are rounded over, they are all sharp and defined. The HK interiorparts all have soft round edges’. 

2 hours ago, JamesHatch said:

This doesn’t measure against your analysis:

‘...the Lanc has a lot of square edges and corners, none of them are rounded over, they are all sharp and defined. The HK interiorparts all have soft round edges’. 

That was not my quote James, it was another guys ....

But to indulge this.

OK, there were soft edged round, rotund, cylindrical, curvy, stuff too in my viewing too, IMHO ... IN MY HONEST OPINION ... I think, I guess and suppose ... (analysis indeed?) Cmon!!! I can extract the urine too guys :)

That was not an analysis, it was my opinion I probably never described too well ... but I dont do brand loyalty, no way.

How could it be? This is getting silly and we are mis quoting each other now and in danger of falling out and going tribal ... Jeeez, I can debate with my Motorcycle friends all day long about that stuff and feathers never get ruffled, but log onto the internet and Cyber model talk and it can be like treading on egg shells if we differ on an opinion over a scale model kit, so many fragile ego's ... I'm not joking!

And I stay with my and some others opinions, the detail on the HKM does not look that sharp and defined to me, obviously still excellent, but with a WNW Lanc on the way to me, Well, what can you do but just feel sorry for the whole coincidence ... glad I've chosen to go with WNW for my Lancaster.

Have at it if you like but I'm not adding any more to this.

Edited by Southern Bandit