HKM 1/32 Lancaster Kit review

Gerhard

Looking at the renders that were shown of a finished surface, I think scale effect is going to play a big part in how these turn out. On a slab of blank gray plastic, the effect is jarring. With some good (and tedious) painting techniques, the look could be extraordinarily realistic. I guess we'll see when someone with skill paints one.

1 minute ago, gwana said:

Looking at the renders that were shown of a finished surface, I think scale effect is going to play a big part in how these turn out. On a slab of blank gray plastic, the effect is jarring. With some good (and tedious) painting techniques, the look could be extraordinarily realistic. I guess we'll see when someone with skill paints one.

Exactly!

I'm sure WNW will show a suitably painted & weathered Lancaster when the time arises to sell them. 

It'll be fascinating.

31 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

The WNW Lanc is a year away.  Hopefully this slog fest won’t be going on until then.

Don't count on it! The HKM Lancaster had a bucket load of pleading, suggestions, rants and endless squealing about when it would be finished and now it is everyone has abandoned it for something else that has even longer to wait.....

Graham

18 minutes ago, GrahamF said:

Don't count on it! The HKM Lancaster had a bucket load of pleading, suggestions, rants and endless squealing about when it would be finished and now it is everyone has abandoned it for something else that has even longer to wait.....

Graham

I'm buying the HK kit. Many are. 

11 hours ago, Gerhard said:

Please do post them here. A number of member dont use FB. 

This is the original wartime rad, from Lancaster PB456 which crashed in 1944 (more info at http://www.aircrashsites-scotland.co.uk/lancaster_conic.htm)

lanc-pb456-rad_28.jpg

And another view from a museum example

CASM 304 - WWII - British - Avro Lancaster X - Rolls-Royce Merlin 224 Engine - 1933

The BBMF Lancaster is what I believe was used as a basis for the HK model - this Lanc was built in mid-1945,and was a Tiger Force aircraft (according to BBMF website). She's fitted with late war /post-war tropical radiators which are noticeably more angular in shape and without a distinct separate section on one side.  

(pic from James Hatch's recent review)

a97_fs.jpg

BBMF's Lanc

KxB4I2Y.jpg

8 minutes ago, DeanKB said:

There are pictures of a Mk.I Lancaster, L7540, with the angular, HKM radiators.

What does that mean?!

For me it means I'm just over the moon to have and build a 1/32 Lancaster, HK for me too in a few weeks I hope! A dream come true.

9 minutes ago, DeanKB said:

There are pictures of a Mk.I Lancaster, L7540, with the angular, HKM radiators.

What does that mean?!

We wait for both kits to be released instead of speculating that this is wrong, oh and that is wrong, not to mention erm... that might be wrong also..? Seeing them both built, and painted, is something to look forward to.

3 minutes ago, Kagemusha said:

We wait for both kits to be released instead of speculating that this is wrong, oh and that is wrong, not to mention erm... that might be wrong also..? Seeing them both built, and painted, is something to look forward to.

My guess is that HK, and especially WNW, will produce kits with the correct radiators.