HKM 1/32 Lancaster Kit review

Gerhard

I suppose it depends on which photos you look at.

A quick search of Gurgle showed plenty of wartime photos.

The intakes look pretty much the same as the kit ones to me.

But again and it's the usual "but" until someone has the production kits in hand and compare them to accurate plans then questions about accuracy are still up in the air somewhat.

Posted under the "Fair use" criteria:

006839D000000258-4487496-image-m-45_1494

lancaster-50-missions_zpspmpmc9xf.jpg

Edited by PhilB

4 hours ago, JT68 said:

Jeez, you're better than I am if you can tell that, from that photo, it's so grainy and washed out.

I think that was the point I was trying to make - you made it better than me and more succinctly. We are looking at really low quality photos from 70 or 80 years ago, because of that you can interpret what you are seeing, it's mainly subjective.  

4 hours ago, PhilB said:

I suppose it depends on which photos you look at.

A quick search of Gurgle showed plenty of wartime photos.

The intakes look pretty much the same as the kit ones to me.

But again and it's the usual "but" until someone has the production kits in hand and compare them to accurate plans then questions about accuracy are still up in the air somewhat.

Posted under the "Fair use" criteria:

006839D000000258-4487496-image-m-45_1494

lancaster-50-missions_zpspmpmc9xf.jpg

anyone know why the front turret guns are missing on both these pictures ?? Assume this is unusual ?

9 minutes ago, npb748r said:

I think that was the point I was trying to make - you made it better than me and more succinctly. We are looking at really low quality photos from 70 or 80 years ago, because of that you can interpret what you are seeing, it's mainly subjective.  

Sorry about that, I misinterpreted what you wrote.

I took a really close look at the HK sprues for this kit,  I have to say I am VERY disapointed. there are tons of ejector pin marks in visible places, the bomb bay pins are impossible to sand. A lot of interior structures have soft edges. I would expect this from a $100 kit, not a $350+ kit. I dont think I would buy this kit at all, especially knowing there is a better one a year away. 

48 minutes ago, 1to1scale said:

I took a really close look at the HK sprues for this kit,  I have to say I am VERY disapointed. there are tons of ejector pin marks in visible places, the bomb bay pins are impossible to sand. A lot of interior structures have soft edges. I would expect this from a $100 kit, not a $350+ kit. I dont think I would buy this kit at all, especially knowing there is a better one a year away. 

Which internal structures have soft edges? I'm building it now and didn't notice any. Perhaps it was my photography?

Also, as for ejector pin marks, please remember that this is a TEST SHOT and not final quality. I can't say whether any pin marks will be seen on the final, but these things have tended to either lessen or disappear when HK do the finals.

37 minutes ago, JamesHatch said:

Which internal structures have soft edges? I'm building it now and didn't notice any. Perhaps it was my photography?

Also, as for ejector pin marks, please remember that this is a TEST SHOT and not final quality. I can't say whether any pin marks will be seen on the final, but these things have tended to either lessen or disappear when HK do the finals.

Don't worry about it. I personally ignore the comments of people who have not actually seen a final retail release of an item. Especially when they make absolutist statements based on a test shot.

Guys, we can all understand seeing a new kit and analyzing it off the bat, but lets please reserve any definitives till the production kit is released. Critiquing a kit, good OR bad is a good thing  as long as it is discussed in an adult respectful manor. 

Lets please keep the respectful part in mind as we go forward with this new kit. Once the production version is released I think everyone will get a much more definitive feeling of what the kit we will actually be getting will be like.

The whole "discussion" about the presence or absence of stressed skin, so called oil canning on the HK/WnW's kit and the real thing is getting a little tedious, especially since few of us have seen the HK offering and probably none of us the WnW one.  Below is a wartime picture of G-George of 460 squadron on her retirement from operational life (90 ops) taken just before she flew half away round the world to Australia.  Following are a few close ups of George in the AWM, original and not restored is my understanding, that I took in 2010.  Lighting conditions in the hall are not great for photography but I can't see a lot of stressed skin on such a venerable old lady that is going to be too evident in a 1/32 model!

vpfUN7.png

aOXIdM.jpg

r2cymI.jpg

xh3DZb.jpg

tItS6P.jpg

Edited by mozart

I don't find the stressed skin discussion "tedious".

If WNW pull it off, I could see that it may lead to all sorts of models being reissued with the stressed skin look.

It may not work, or it may not suit everybody's tastes, but in terms of 1/32 modelling it's one of the most exciting developments I've seen for a while, and I'm fascinated to see how it turns out.