HKM 1/32 Lancaster Kit review

Gerhard

I made a thread for HLJ's review videos from the All Japan Model & Hobby Show in Tokyo, but no one seems very interested in them!  

Maybe the HK Lancaster fans will enjoy this video; you can get a good feel for the size and presence of the Lancaster and see the clear parts.  It's the first thing shown in the video.

Edited by ringleheim

Given this is a Lanc thread, any thing else would be in a separate thread.

We have now a first look at both Lancaster kits. There are differences, but keep any discussion civil,  show some respect for others positions. We are discussing a model plane here. Discussion should be germane to what we are seeing in the kit(s).

Ok I'll be first to put my head on the chopping block but how did HK with all the experts that were on board make such a mistake with the intakes. I have been through loads of books looking at MkI Lancs and they are a lot smaller than the kit ones, it looks like HK has the later tropical intakes in the kit. So in my mind they will have to be replaced and more than likely by another supplier unless HK has another set of smaller intakes in the release.

lanc-intakes.jpg

lanc-intakes-1.jpg

Graham

Hi Ron, great but I'm sure the flying Lancs of today and Just Jane have the deeper intakes. I hate bringing this up but I've/we have waited sooooo long for an injected kit I'd hate it if they have screwed the pooch, but compared to the ID vac I fought with for so many years it's a god send and the choice of another next year is amazing.

Graham

Not only did HK get the intakes wrong for European theater but the radiators are also incorrect for wartime birds. The more angular shaped radiators in the kit are the tropical post-war ones. My thinking is that they just copied the BBMF Lanc and didn't think twice...  The ETO radiators are more curved and appear to be in two sections. I posted photos up on the Facebook group "1/32 Lancaster Assembly Line" showing the differences, can repost here if folks are interested... It looks like the CWH Lanc in Canada may have the correct radiators for ETO, certainly the wartime intakes at least. 

Does that mean I can't build Just Jane as a Dambuster, in a sort of tribute-to-all, without getting a bollo**ing ?!

Tony (no offence meant, but I'm prolly BBMF with extras)

Strange,

Every Lancaster I've seen has these intakes as far as I remember, Nanton, IWM, Calgary Aviation Museum, Canadian Warplane Heritage and the BOB flight planes.

Perhaps because all but the BOB one are Mk X's?

9 hours ago, seiran01 said:

Not only did HK get the intakes wrong for European theater but the radiators are also incorrect for wartime birds. The more angular shaped radiators in the kit are the tropical post-war ones. My thinking is that they just copied the BBMF Lanc and didn't think twice...  The ETO radiators are more curved and appear to be in two sections. I posted photos up on the Facebook group "1/32 Lancaster Assembly Line" showing the differences, can repost here if folks are interested... It looks like the CWH Lanc in Canada may have the correct radiators for ETO, certainly the wartime intakes at least. 

Please do post them here. A number of member dont use FB. 

there's a lot of interpretation needed when looking at black and white poor quality (compared to today) photos from 70 or 80 years ago. If only we could have seen them in the flesh at the time we'd know for certain but I'm grateful to my dad's generation which had to endure that nightmare rather than me.  If you look at the photo Lancman posted I can't see a single piece of oilcan skin on the plane but the conversation has been all about that being replicated because it was present but based on those phots I'd say it wasn't. I guess I'm not that much of a perfectionist and I take my hat off to those of you that are and put great effort into making what they consider to be 100% accurate. My take on all this is that this kit will look fantastic, I'll get hours of enjoyment from making it, I'll have nowhere to put it other than my loft once complete but every single person who sees it (and who has a tad of knowledge of WW2 aircraft) will know it's a lancaster, oilcan skin or not, slight oversized air intakes or not and any other perceived fault.  For me I'm really grateful that I have a 1/32 injection kit (with more to follow) available to me in whatever % of accuracy it is.  I'm even more grateful that companies are putting effort into 1/32 aircraft with many more new aircraft joining the ranks - they are making a middle aged man very happy. 

13 minutes ago, npb748r said:

If you look at the photo Lancman posted I can't see a single piece of oilcan skin on the plane but the conversation has been all about that being replicated because it was present but based on those phots I'd say it wasn't. 

Jeez, you're better than I am if you can tell that, from that photo, it's so grainy and washed out.