HKM 1/32 Lancaster Kit review

Gerhard

6 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

Exactly what were you expecting?  SMH

For that much money, not to need aftermarket to fix accuracy and detail. I’ve seen better looking control panels on smaller scale aircraft, the radiators are post-war style (modeled after the BbmF lanc?) and not accurate for wartime aircraft, ton of ejector pin marks in the flap well, my list goes on. A lot of detail looks very toylike to my eyes

1 hour ago, seiran01 said:

For that much money, not to need aftermarket to fix accuracy and detail. I’ve seen better looking control panels on smaller scale aircraft, the radiators are post-war style (modeled after the BbmF lanc?) and not accurate for wartime aircraft, ton of ejector pin marks in the flap well, my list goes on. A lot of detail looks very toylike to my eyes

But you haven’t bought it, right? So don’t. Buy the WNW if that is more to your expectations. 

Modelling seems one hobby where everyone seems to have some sort of high-end expectation. Maybe the WNW release has turned your head whereas it may not have before the kits announce. That’s something I’m seeing so much of. The HK level of detail was never moaned about on the Do 335 etc. yet, this is the same, contemporary style we see from many manufacturers, and on this Lanc.

Edited by JamesHatch

Would it be fair to say that HKM has incorporated 90% of the detail that we might want a modeler in 850 parts and that 80% of that detail will be completely hidden or only have a hint of visibility short of doing a cut a way or clear fuselage?  After the cockpit, gun turrets and bomb bay is very much of the rest going to really matter at all?  

I think the price is completely reasonable personally, they have spent a fortune I am sure on tooling and development, the cost of which will have to be amortized over a very limited pool of buyers.  This is not something the hobby lobby or walmart type customer is ever going to even know exits.  The sliver of people that will pay for this kit are mostly people like us who are a small pool in the modeling world.  

I think if you like 1/32 4 engine bombers you better pay up and quit complaining about the cost.  If you must have a Lancaster and this is too expensive then you are building in the wrong scale as there is price of admission factor here.  Frankly for the volume that this is likely to sell at anything under $500.00 U.S. is a screaming deal.  I would say the same when the WNW kit rolls around.  

There is no way on earth that anyone could build this themselves as a one off, factoring in time value of money, at this level of detail for less money from scratch or in any medium too the standard offered by HKM.   

This model is not my thing but I just built a Bandai Perfect Grade Millinium falcon, it was very expensive even on sale, however you get what you pay for.  I wanted a big Millennium falcon and I wanted the detail.  

Edited by cbk57

8 hours ago, JamesHatch said:

But you haven’t bought it, right? So don’t. Buy the WNW if that is more to your expectations. 

Modelling seems one hobby where everyone seems to have some sort of high-end expectation. Maybe the WNW release has turned your head whereas it may not have before the kits announce. That’s something I’m seeing so much of. The HK level of detail was never moaned about on the Do 335 etc. yet, this is the same, contemporary style we see from many manufacturers, and on this Lanc.

You are absolutely right, BUT i think many wiill vote with their wallet now and go WNW  as its not going to be much dearer 

added tomthe fact that we havent been waiting  over 4 years for the wnw one, that is on the surface a far more accurate kit......

3 minutes ago, Markjames1968 said:

You are absolutely right, BUT i think many wiill vote with their wallet now and go WNW  as its not going to be much dearer 

You obviously didn't read my message thoroughly:

....Buy the WNW if that is more to your expectations.

Just now, Markjames1968 said:

Also , not being funny here but can Mr Hatch, the admin of the official hk modellers page on facebook actually post a fair ‘review’ of a new HK kit here? Isnt it more like an advert and lack impartiality??

It wasn't a review. It was a first look, and so far the only one we've really seen. You make your own assessment after I show the plastic. I will also review the WNW kit too, but maybe that will be biased as I received a free kit, eh?

Lack impartiality? Fill your boots...

18 minutes ago, Markjames1968 said:

Also , not being funny here but can Mr Hatch, the admin of the official hk modellers page on facebook actually post a fair ‘review’ of a new HK kit here? Isnt it more like an advert and lack impartiality??

James never actually posted the first look of the HK Models Lanc on LSP, but someone else linked it from another site...