HKM 1/32 Lancaster Kit review

Gerhard

I don't understand German but I still basically understood it.

The kit looks pretty much like what I expected.

What I've seen elsewhere of the Merlins look pretty spartan.

It clearly has endless possibilities for super-detailers and the after market industry and I can already see where I would like to see more detail but it will still make an excellent build right out of the box.

I just wish WN hadn't muddied the waters.

Thanks for posting.

34 minutes ago, Out2gtcha said:

If you look at approximately 7:20, it appears the kit come with both full clear fuselage and full grey styrene fuselages.

Yes, it comes with both. Shame the wings were not ready.

The interior looks amazing.

Interesting that I think he says "infamous bomber", which I suppose is very much the German perspective?

Anyhow, nothing there to put me off. It looks like an absolute monster of a kit.

I'm a bit perplexed with the clear fuselage nose parts and then having non transparent fuselage inserts with moulded on detail blocking any view that was gained? also 360 Euro's in pounds is about £316 or $414, perhaps if they lost the clear fuselage parts the price could be a bit cheaper, or maybe do a separate clear version like Tamiya have done with one or two of their 1/48 aircraft kits ... 262 springs to mind, horrible brittle plastic to work with though and I cant see many enthusiasts going with that option.

Still looks a really nice kit though and anyone buying one wont be disappointed, but glad I have chosen to wait for WNW for my 1/32 Lanc fix.

1 hour ago, DeanKB said:

(...) Interesting that I think he says "infamous bomber", which I suppose is very much the German perspective? (...)

Exactly, "Lancaster" has a fairly negative connotation among many elderly people in Germany who experienced WW2 at close quarters. Pretty much the same for the "Typhoon", by the way. C'était la guerre...

Rumour has it that real estate prices in certain regions of Germany have started to hit rock bottom when WNW announced to release another Lancaster.

q7kKBP6.jpg

Edited by Ivan Ivanovich

1 hour ago, Shawn M said:

They mention its the special edition with the clear fuse halves, maybe the "normal" one will be a bit cheaper.

Either way too rich for my blood but a damn cool kit.

Yep. I will go for the 1/32 Liberator.

9 hours ago, JamesHatch said:

LSM has a sample and will be posted in the next day or so. No need to understand German to follow it. 

Ah, the benefit of being a native German speaker! :P

A video review of my favourite German model shop, one of the most large ones we have here. It has been said that the first limited edition of this kit will comprise not only clear parts for the front fuselage, but also the complete rear one! Fit of those parts is mentioned (and shown) as excellent.

They couldn´t show the wings, for they haven´t been in their first samples due to not having been ready for shipment then. Modellbau König will do another video when the wings have been arrived.

What I am really impressed are the amazingly polished clear parts! On the other hand, not having seen the kit parts in reality myself, the non-clear fuselage parts could possibly have been done from the same moulds as the clear ones, means, those are highly smooth on the outside, too. Could possibly need some primer for acrylics to bite. But we will see.

MBK expects their first kits in October. Their website mentions the kit to be available for sale from beginning to middle November 2018. Price is given as Euro 359.00, not taken into account the benefits a power-buyer as me gets from them...  :coolio:

359.00 Euro equals 413.92 USD, or 586.89 AUD for our Aussie friends.

I personally prefer such video reviews due to the possibility to have a look at kit parts from different angles. As being German, for me there is no need to understand English to follow it (though I do).  :whistle:

Very few manufacturers sell direct in Australia, most go through wholesalers. HKM only allow one wholesaler to deal with their models and that wholesaler has two retail outlets, but does sell to others. So by the time two sets of mark ups have been added I very much doubt that the price will be sub $600 AUD, more like $650! They are trying to sell the B24 at $290! which I reckon is a bit steep.

I really don't think many Lancasters of either brand will be sold in Australia at those kind of prices.

Steve