Eduard self-adhesive interior detail sets. Any good?

Gazzas

Hi everyone!

I admit I hate painting cockpit details.  It's not the actual effort to do so...  It's just that my IP's generally look like crap.

I found an Eduard set for a plane I am building...  but I have a lot more faith in decals than sticky stuff.

Appreciate it!

Gaz

I can appreciate using the Eduard color PE as they have some nice (although not always accurate) detail, although there are some drawbacks, like base cockpit colors that are wrong and difficult to match, and obvious 2D flatness.  Not a big fan of the self adhesive ones, though.  You get one chance to place, and if you have one part to overlay over another, like an IP over a dial panel, it’s annoying if you don’t get the alignment right on the first try.  You can peel the PE off, but you risk bending it and pulling up the underlying paint.  I think the latest sets dropped the self-adhesive part, which I’m happy about.

Edited by Dave Williams

33 minutes ago, Gazzas said:

Hi everyone!

I admit I hate painting cockpit details.  It's not the actual effort to do so...  It's just that my IP's generally look like crap.

I found an Eduard set for a plane I am building...  but I have a lot more faith in decals than sticky stuff.

Appreciate it!

Gaz

My cockpit work isn't that great, so the stick on details are a welcome option. What I do find is a flat coat really helps to even out the panel finish. After the flat coat goes on, I use Bondic  UV glue or Future to add a lens to each gauge face. I'll probably use a few more sets.

Don

1 hour ago, Dave Williams said:

I can appreciate using the Eduard color PE as they have some nice (although not always accurate) detail, although there are some drawbacks, like base cockpit colors that are wrong and difficult to match, and obvious 2D flatness.  Not a big fan of the self adhesive ones, though.  You get one chance to place, and if you have one part to overlay over another, like an IP over a dial panel, it’s annoying if you don’t get the alignment right on the first try.  You can peel the PE off, but you risk bending it and pulling up the underlying paint.  I think the latest sets dropped the self-adhesive part, which I’m happy about.

I remember a guy over at the warship forums.  He'd kill the factory adhesive on the undersides of the wooden decks with hairspray and then use CA to glue the pieces once he had them set where he wanted.  Might be a useful technique here.

Thought I dislike the flatness, my painted stuff just looks untidy.  So I'll live with the trade-off.

Thanks for the great response!

Gaz

1 hour ago, dmthamade said:

My cockpit work isn't that great, so the stick on details are a welcome option. What I do find is a flat coat really helps to even out the panel finish. After the flat coat goes on, I use Bondic  UV glue or Future to add a lens to each gauge face. I'll probably use a few more sets.

Don

Good idea with the UV glue.  Fortunately, I have some!

Thanks!

Gaz

I have not had any of them come loose yet and some are several years old dating back to when the self adhesive sets were first released. That said I usually put a drop of Future into the instrument openings to provide a lens and this often times seeps between the layers so that may be supplementing Eduard's adhesive. I also have found that flat coating the upper layer helps reducing the grainy appearance.  While I like not needed to paint them, of late I've become dissatisfied with the one dimensional appearance of the Eduard sets for 1/32 and have been using supplied decals or Airscale's over the instruments or using the Yuhu panels instead. I still use Eduard's  for the smaller scale stuff.

I have used a bunch, and I agree, the self adhesive never lets go. So far they stick. Honestly, I don’t like the flatness either, but sometimes lazy wins out. It only takes a few minutes with the SA panels. 

However, Yahu makes a much nicer panel, but choice is limited. Also, a new player is the new Eduard Look series. I wish more makers made PE panels, but with acetate backs. My P-40B has a beautiful acetate panel.

23 hours ago, Gazzas said:

Good idea with the UV glue.  Fortunately, I have some!

Thanks!

Gaz

Gaz, get some Formula 560.  It can be used to attach canopies as it dries clear, but is also pretty sticky so I use it for attaching PE as well.  PLUS, if you put a drop over an instrument face it doesn't flatten out like Future does - it actually dries slightly rounded like a glass cover.  I've started using that on my IP's.

jtEWW8.jpg

0gif2D.jpg

Good luck!  Chris

• 2 weeks later...

I use them - they are excellent, saving a lot of time and effort and giving a genuinely good finish, albeit sometimes having to take the colours down a peg or two sometimes.

The new Eduard "Look" sets are also pretty good, with a dashboard and seat-belt included. I got the Mustang one, for about £6-£7 I think?

44414127535_f46db312f2_k.jpg20181015_021730 by dekenba1, on Flickr