How are the Fly Hurricanes?

Southern Bandit

Have built the Pacific Coast MK1 metal wing Hurricane after many stops and goes, my word I found that hard work for my skill level ... that is what's described as a sort of cottage industry multi media kit I guess?

I now know that's not for me, LOL.

I'd like to have a go at another early 1/32 Hurricane, heard the Fly Hurricanes are much the same as the Pacific Coast ones? what I'm really looking for is a modern tool Revell/Hasegawa type kit, without too much if any resin at all ... hey, even if Tamiya were to do one I'd jump on it, because as complicated as 1/32 aircraft Tamiya kits get, they are sweat free satisfying construction with no real vices these days, they just take longer to build ... and that's OK :)

Anything that needs extensive filling and sanding these days I will try to avoid ... my peculiar type of arthritis that now effects my wrists for repetitive operations like sanding or even scribing are getting worse.

Not too bad, there are fit issues with the wheel wells to internal cockpit tubing. Also, the cockpit is assembled using no locating pins, you will have to be careful fitting it. Check out the link below of a build review, while this guys always seems to be negative on all his reviews, he has some valid criticisms, along with documented pictures. Even after I saw this, I decided that having a beautiful copy of a hurricane was too much to pass up, and I will deal with the challenges going in to the build.

https://doogsmodels.com/tag/fly-hurricane/

I did one for the Battle of Britain group build a few years ago.

Thread here which shows how it goes together:

https://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?/topic/30852-124-hurricane-i-32-sqdn-biggin-hillhawkinge/

EDIT:

Looks like some issues with PB for the images which is strange as my account is still operational.

:BANGHEAD2:

2nd Edit:

Looks like PB is offline as not loading.

Edited by PhilB

Just checked your link Phil, box art pic shows up, but nothing else, PB really are terrible, had a lot of pics invested in that software too ... never again, happy with Imgur these days.

Seriously considering a Trumpy 1/24 Hurricane now though ... how are its kit decals? always a grey area with Trumpeter, even with their A team kits.

It seems PB is offline everywhere so not sure when it will be back.

I used some Techmod decals I had in the stash and masks for the codes.

I managed to find some pics in the BoB Group build gallery.

4th post down.

https://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?/topic/31140-battle-of-britain-group-build-gallery/ 

I highly recommend the Trumpeter ones. I’ve built each version over time and they are nice simple builds with few vices, being Trumpeter the decals aren’t worth a damn but Avieology do stencils that are applicable to all versions and decals for the Mk.1. There Montex masks too. AMS seats and wheels, HGW belts and Yahu instrument panels, Trumpeter do an etch set that can be difficult to track down and isn’t the cheapest but does add a lot to the cockpit. If you search dawngrocerystore on eBay they have them at a nice price and all my stuff from there has come through customs unmolested. 

The fly kits I was disappointed with. Beautiful surface detail but lacking cockpit detail and I found the styrene was quite fragile on the cockpit framing and control stick,  broke them several times and ended up shelving the kit in the end, which really is a shame as I said, the surface detail is beautiful.  My gear bay fit fine in one boxing, was small in the other but Fly sent me a replacement and spare for free. If I didn’t know the Trumpeter kit was a good substitute I’d maybe try Fly again. 

Edited by ade rowlands

Great build Phil, am convinced now, 1/24 will be better for my declining eyes too.

Thanks too, Ade, have dealt with dawngrocery store on Ebay many times and its all come through customs with no charge so far ... going to go have a look just now, really in a Hurricane mood, its a Mk1 I will be looking for but will consider later versions.

Thanks all.