1/32 Revell RF-4C 14th TRS

SapperSix

The exhaust and the cans have been a learning curve for me.  I can not emphasize enough how much I have learned while making this model.  My tool and product purchases have also been undergoing a considerable increase.  All equaling a joy for the hobby as never before.  I do want very much to make clear that I appreciate the many people, all over the world, that have have offered advice and knowledge both publicly and through PM's. 

Below is an example of the general reference I have been using for inside exhaust coloring.  My book from Reid Air, The Modern Phantom Guide, has been providing and enormous amount of detail. 

DSC03815.jpg

Below is the Phantom GT Resin kit that I have spent the last week detailing, messing up, starting over and having another go. 

IMG-E1260.jpg

In the references the green goes from a darker green to lighter as the distance from the burner increases.  This picture tries to capture that variation.  It was lots of patience during the dry brush process.

IMG-E1261.jpg 

The detail in this resin product is very well done.

IMG-E1264.jpg

A light black/green wash will fill in the secondary air holes.  I did it a small section with black only and the contrast didn't appeal to the eye.  A bit of dry brushing to the cans and some pastels will finalize this effort. 

• 2 weeks later...

Progress has been slow but productive.  I finally figured out a path to the weathering for the war weary tail.  Using Oils (burnt sienna, burnt umber, cadmium red, ivory black) a black and red brown  wash, and Tamiya smoke.

I re drilled the rivets and plugged them with a small piece of lead as noted in prior postings.  After I sealed the base, post initial weathering, I went back with a bead tool to shape the lead plug.  While I am sure there is a better way to do this, my initial push in to this lead down this path.  In the end the initial shaping with the bead tool doesn't look too bad.   My only complaint would be that the newly created rivet looks a little big compared to the washer.   This picture shows the first lead plugs being shaped compared to the others that have yet to be shaped.  Once shaped it will expose the lead color of the rivet making it easier to detail after a little clean up.

IMG-1346.jpg

Right side complete prior to detail and clean up.

IMG-1345.jpg

left side complete prior to detail and clean up.

IMG-1353.jpg

There is much still to do here.  lots of clean up and detail. The aft section, past the tail hook, needs to be done up with rivets.  Maybe I can figure a way to make the rivet smaller compared to the washer.  In the end it will be blended with pastels to make sure its blended and given a much more flat look. 

Aft Section....The pressure of the beading tool spit the seem again...(sigh)

IMG-1355.jpg

IMG-1357.jpg

2 hours ago, Francis said:

Hi. How did you get the ribbing effect? It looks great!

Adding the panel lines to the tail, this is such a rivet counter moment for me.  The more I learned and observe this tail section, the more I realized it needed to be 100% rebuilt.  I am short panel lines per section.....but that is just another issue with the lack and incorrect detail in this section of the plane. 

I learned a lot about creating consistent cuts of tape and large amounts of patience.  I sprayed MM Steel a number of times just to get a slight raised effect.  Had I noticed the lack of panel lines before I had done the base coating I would scribe it.  Noted for my next phantom build.  

IMG-1230.jpg

If you look closely at this image you will also see some horizontal panel lines right above the vertical ones. 

dsf6890.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/8/2019 at 4:10 PM, aircommando130 said:

The tail section looks really good!

Cheers...Ron

Thank you Ron.  Its been a real test.  The input I have received from others has been very helpful. 

On 6/8/2019 at 4:36 PM, John1 said:

Just discovered this thread and read the entire thing.   Six, you are going done awesome work here!  I really like how your SEA scheme turned out.    Looking forward to more updates.  

Thank you for the kind words.  I appreciate the motivation as some of this has been a bit of a fight. 

Started decals on the nose when I realized that the reference photos show the decals I have already put on in black text, rather than the white you see.  I have found no replacement.  While the plane will look nice it will not be the historical match I was aiming for.  Further research is required before I continue. 

They also seem to be holding air bubbles despite my attempts otherwise...I refrained from any gloss coat prior to decals.  Maybe a touch will be required.  The good news is the Jameson is very tasty tonight.

IMG-1421.jpg

• 1 year later...

Lots of work has been done on this Phantom since the last time I checked in.  It's really close to a wrap.  Last of many goals with this model is to give my photography a leg up.  Once I get the right step ladder built and other adjustments, I will put up some proper photographs.  This model has been a real learning experience to say the least.  So many things that need changed now that I know better.  Another Phantom build on another day to implement all that I have learned with this build.

IMG-2682.jpg

The modification of including/creating the canopy deck on this Revell kit, means the crew ladder is not going to be close to a proper fit.  A good friend from Germany has sent me a Tamiya ladder to fix this issue.

IMG-4680.jpg

IMG-E4667.jpgIMG-E4668.jpgIMG-E4669.jpgIMG-E4670.jpg

IMG-2701.jpg

Edited by SapperSix