1/32 Revell RF-4C 14th TRS

SapperSix

8 hours ago, aircommando130 said:

The cockpit is really looking good. Never did hear from Gary but mine is going to be canopy's closed anyway. There is a stiffener rib on the left side of the real 600 gallon centerline tank if you wat to add it. The Phantom does everything...you never saw the tracked unimproved runway Phantom II? LOL! Good to see your progress!

Cheers...Ron

Ron,

Thank you.  Keep an eye on Sprue Brothers for his kits.  Hopefully you can pick one up soon.

I didn't know about the stiffener rib.    I appreciate the heads up.  I will definitely look in to it. 

600-Gallon-Tank.jpg

I had to look up the tracked runway.  I had always wondered about that.  Pretty interesting stuff.

I really appreciate your input!

-Frank

Edited by SapperSix

4 hours ago, ScottsGT said:

I'll be watching this one.  Got one in the stash as well.  Have you taken the SAC gear out of the blister pack and felt how soft they are?  Better off with the kit legs, or even better, brass sets that have the corrected length nose gear from aerocraftmodels.com 

Scott,

My set  from SAC came from the manufacturer with one of the mains bent.  I contacted them and they said the would replace it if there was a problem straightening the main.  I haven't delved in to that yet, but will very soon. 

As I was doing my research the brass ones came out, believe me I am giving them strong consideration.  They look sweet.  I have the Revell F-4E kit in the stash and will probably at least get one set, likely two. 

-Frank

Edited by SapperSix

1 hour ago, SapperSix said:

Scott,

My set  from SAC came from the manufacturer with one of the mains bent.  I contacted them and they said the would replace it if there was a problem straightening the main.  I haven't delved in to that yet, but will very soon. 

As I was doing my research the brass ones came out, believe me I am giving them strong consideration.  They look sweet.  I have the Revell F-4E kit in the stash and will probably at least get one set, likely two. 

-Frank

ummmmm....My curiosity was peaked so I had to look.  Pretty disappointing.  Placing an order with Aero Craft tonight.  This model is going to edge into my budget. 

FWIW, I had four new sets of SAC gear I had bought for the stash of Revell Phantoms. Once I discovered how soft they were, they went straight into the trash can.   Also bought a set of white metal gear from a shop in England off eBay that turned out disappointing as well.  Not as soft as SAC, but not taking a chance with them.  

6 hours ago, ScottsGT said:

You said "Budget"  :rofl:  :rofl:

I know right!?!?  It was late.....:rofl:

6 hours ago, ScottsGT said:

FWIW, I had four new sets of SAC gear I had bought for the stash of Revell Phantoms. Once I discovered how soft they were, they went straight into the trash can.   Also bought a set of white metal gear from a shop in England off eBay that turned out disappointing as well.  Not as soft as SAC, but not taking a chance with them.  

I really was disappointed.  Everything I have bought to this point has been made pretty well.  I very much love supporting the cottage industry that much of the aftermarket products of modeling is.    Live and learn, not a big deal.  First world problems . :thumbsup:

When I joined this web site I would buy a model and put it together with aftermarket being very much a secondary thought.  I had never imagined that I would be at the point where I look at aftermarket as a must.    And I'm looking more and more in to custom tools and creation.  There are some great modelers here that use wood and other products to make terrific models.  So much too learn.....

Edited by SapperSix

2 hours ago, aircommando130 said:

I have 3 sets of the Aero Craft gear struts...they are very nice cast brass and the nose gear strut is bigger. The main struts are a bit shorter to get the Phantom "sit" like it should be. 

That is good to hear.  They do look very good.  Odd how such things make me excited when it comes to modeling.  I really want to make the model as accurate as possible.  I looked at the tweak list and decided that it will take many Phantom builds to get to a base state of knowledge and capability to match some of the builds here.

2 hours ago, aircommando130 said:

That's a good picture of the stiffener rib on the 600 gallon tank. Saved it to my computer for mine!

Cheers...Ron

Thanks for the heads up.  I would likely have never known.  I will look for more and post them as I compile them.

6 hours ago, John1 said:

Always thought the RF was the prettiest of all the F-4's.   Looking forward to following along on this one, you are off to a great start!

John,

As a child she was one of the planes that drew me to aircraft.  Classic lines with the brute force of thrust....

Thank you for your kind words.  Your input is very much appreciated.

-Frank

Hey, careful with the mixed media and bringing wood into the hobby.  It started with me as two projects.  First was a display case and then a 3” thick walnut base for my Thunderbird display.  

$4500 later I have all kinds of great wood working tools and it’s occupying all my time and stealing me away from plastic.  :whistle:

2 hours ago, ScottsGT said:

Hey, careful with the mixed media and bringing wood into the hobby.  It started with me as two projects.  First was a display case and then a 3” thick walnut base for my Thunderbird display.  

$4500 later I have all kinds of great wood working tools and it’s occupying all my time and stealing me away from plastic.  :whistle:

WOW! Show us a picture of the Thunderbirds display! Love the T-Birds but never was able to master the nose scallops!

Cheers....Ron