1/32 Revell RF-4C 14th TRS

SapperSix

And so it begins.  This will be my first real attempt, top to bottom, to recreate a RF-4C to the best of my ability. Lots of research and after market items bought to make it right.  

The line up of after aftermarket effort is the longest I have compiled ever:

AMS Resin RF-4 Photo-flash Dispensers

GT Resin RF-4C Resin Cockpit Set

GT Resin ALQ-101V(1) ECM Pod

GT Resin ALQ-71 ECM Pod (for F-4 Phantom II)

Scale Aircraft Conversions - Phantom II Landing Gear

Full House Paint masks for McDonnell RF-4B/RF-4C

Exhaust nozzles for EARLY McDonnell RF-4C Phantom.

Late weighted Wheels for McDonnell RF-4C

F.O.D. Version II. With DECALS McDonnell RF-4C

Auxiliary Air Intake and the Door for McDonnell RF-4C

-Decals - McDonnell F-4C Phantom II in Viet Nam war Part 1 F-4C 64-0829 20/05/1967 8th Tactical Fighter Wing; 2. RF-4C 69-0349 Udorn. Thailand 1973. 14 TRS

-Custom Decals donated to me by TonyT as he had worked a Phantom in the same squadron.  Thank you very much Tony!!

-Various Instrument and placard decals from AirScale

-Decals - Speed Hunter Graphics Big Scale Early Phantom Stencils for the RF-4C

-Detail and Scale VOL. 43, RF-4C Phantom II

IMG-9956.jpg

I suspect this build will take many months as my real life is sure to interject.  Plus, I want very much to take all that I have learned and put it into this aircraft.  If it all works out I will not want to give it up upon completion. 

If you have any information or input I would be glad to hear it.  The amount of experience on this site is vast and daunting. 

Updated 11/1/2018

Edited by SapperSix

As I was reading some references last night I was looking at the cockpit instrumentation for both work spaces.  During that time I realized that I have no instrumentation decals/placards for the GT Resin Cockpit.  For those of you that have dealt with this what was your solution?

So far the only thing I have found currently on the market is Mike Grant 1/32 Jet Aircraft decals.  I could make my own but man that would take forever. 

5 hours ago, SapperSix said:

As I was reading some references last night I was looking at the cockpit instrumentation for both work spaces.  During that time I realized that I have no instrumentation decals/placards for the GT Resin Cockpit.  For those of you that have dealt with this what was your solution?

So far the only thing I have found currently on the market is Mike Grant 1/32 Jet Aircraft decals.  I could make my own but man that would take forever. 

try Airscale all you need its on there sheets...

http://www.airscale.co.uk/

Cheers

Fred

That is a good collection of aftermarket! Where did you get the GT Resin RF-4C cockpit from? I've been looking for that and never saw that it was released. His stuff is top notch! I have 2 of those RF kits. Doing the first one in the early gull gray over white USAF scheme and the second as a RF-4E from the GAF using Airdoc decals. I think for your stencil sheet you'll actually need the Speedhunter sheet 32013 of early Phantom stencils since you are doing a 69 model flying in 73! I have a RF-4C dash 1 from 1975 if you need any info. 

Cheers....Ron

Thanks for the update on the sheet correction on the Speedhunter decals.  Luckily I saw that a few days back and am waiting for a box of goodies from Sprue Brothers and Airscale decals. 

I look forward to seeing your builds.  This is my first Phantom build at 1/32 and second Phantom build over all.  So I am doing a ton of research.

Thank you for your kind words, be sure to let us know when you start those builds.

-Frank

Edited by SapperSix

Thanks Frank...I will send him an email! People like to bang on the Revell F-4 but it can be built up into a good looking Phantom. Yes it takes some aftermarket to get it there but they look good when done. I have 6 Tamiya Phantoms...bought them when I was stationed at Kadena AB. Have 7 Revell Phantoms ...could almost start a McDonnell Douglas assembly line! Sprue Brothers....my Phantom II supply store!

Cheers....Ron

A lot of work over the last couple days.  Modifying the base kit for the resin additions, test fitting, more research, building fuel tanks, mixing paints and primers and general build order planning.  Looking at wheel well wiring (Say that fast three times) and other wiring details to make sure I have a plan, has been time consuming.

This is the first kit that I am planning to cut up as much as I am.  While its nothing when compared to many of the incredible kit makers here, its giving me a lot of confidence. I predict a whole lot more kit destruction/building as its adding a whole new dimension of fun to me.  I have learned much by looking at the many incredible builds and builders on this site.  I will be forever thankful for those that have taken the time to answer my questions and endure my persistence.

Focus on the cockpit modifications has gone fairly well up to this point. I am really excited about the detail and accuracy of the work space.

RF-4-C-Cock-Pit-Mod1.jpg

IMG-9971.jpg

Regardless of what you see in the picture, I have no intention of including the Sherman Tank tracks or the M4 Mortar Carrier frame in the current Phantom build.  Although, that's not to say I haven't done some test fitting.   :hmmm:

Edited by SapperSix

The cockpit is really looking good. Never did hear from Gary but mine is going to be canopy's closed anyway. There is a stiffener rib on the left side of the real 600 gallon centerline tank if you wat to add it. The Phantom does everything...you never saw the tracked unimproved runway Phantom II? LOL! Good to see your progress!

Cheers...Ron

I'll be watching this one.  Got one in the stash as well.  Have you taken the SAC gear out of the blister pack and felt how soft they are?  Better off with the kit legs, or even better, brass sets that have the corrected length nose gear from aerocraftmodels.com