Lancaster purchase

Southern Bandit

1/32 Lancaster purchase  

141 members have voted

1. 1. Are you buying a 1/32 HK or WnW Lancaster?

• Yes, I am buying at least one HK Lancaster.
    • Yes, I am buying at least one WNW Lancaster, even though I wait longer.
    • Yes I am buying at least one of each.
    • No, not for me.
    • What's a Lancaster?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/16/2018 at 10:59 PM

5 hours ago, Jan_G said:

Well Jim, Im currently building the dust free display space with basic dimensions 180cm x 85cm

this was designated to accomodate PBY once done and all 4 engine heavies :D And I plan to finish the Lanc within 2 years after I will get one ;)

jan

Care to share your building plans please?

I’ve never been so keen on the Lanc. I always preferred the look of the Halifax. Its like I preferred the Liberator over the Fortress. Either way, it’s not justifying the cost to my wife, it’s justifying the cost to me.

Edited by Fred Jack

• 2 weeks later...

When it comes to 1/32 scale Lancaster's I don't worry about such trivialities such as how much room do I have. I'll make the room. :-)

That being said as I have the HK Models kit on pre order I hope HK Models takes their kit back in before release and puts some skin stressing on it so I don't have to buy it twice.

Edited by Warren Zoell

1 hour ago, Warren Zoell said:

That being said as I have the HK Models kit on pre order I hope HK Models takes their kit back in before release and puts some skin stressing on it so I don't have to buy it twice.

Unfortunately that's never going to happen, Warren. In fact, HK were originally planning to feature a stressed-skin effect on their model, but found the computing power required by the CAD for this to be beyond them. Personally, I'm in the overdone camp with regard to the effect, and am happy to tackle a model without it. Plus, oil-canning presents differently on every airframe, but every Wingnut Wings Lancaster will exhibit exactly the same stressed-skin pattern as every other Wingnut Wings Lancaster. I'm sure it'll be a fantastic kit, and I may live to eat my words, but at this stage, I'd rather do without that particular detailing conceit.

Kev

It has already been explained that the computer processing required to create the effect in CAD overloaded the system HKM have in place. WNW have greater funds at their disposal, and likely access to more power considering the CGI work done in the Tolkien films.

On 10/5/2018 at 3:33 PM, ringleheim said:

I'd be curious to know what percentage of Lancaster buyers will actually finish the project and display it.

The plane is @ 2 feet x 3 feet in 1/32 scale.

I would think most modelers will not already have a display cabinet deep enough to accommodate the Lancaster's dimensions.  So then, if you don't want your model to be covered in dust, you are probably making a custom acrylic display box for it that would likely cost $300 (US) or maybe more.

You are then going to need a special piece of furniture (some type of table maybe?) to place the acrylic box on, and then you would almost need to dedicate a small room or corner of a room to the table/display box.  

We have seen some modelers display the HK B-17 hung on the wall, vertically.  That overcomes the problems I've described above.  I actually like the appearance of that, but I'm sure that approach is not for everyone.

If anyone plans on buying one of the Lancasters, I'd love to hear ideas on how modelers plan to overcome the display problem!

The actual overall size on the Lanc (length, wingspan) is actually slightly smaller than a B-17. It's the bulky fuselage and wings that make it look bigger. So if you have a B-17 kit that's roughly the size of the Lanc as well.

On 10/5/2018 at 9:33 AM, ringleheim said:

I'd be curious to know what percentage of Lancaster buyers will actually finish the project and display it.

The plane is @ 2 feet x 3 feet in 1/32 scale.

I would think most modelers will not already have a display cabinet deep enough to accommodate the Lancaster's dimensions.  So then, if you don't want your model to be covered in dust, you are probably making a custom acrylic display box for it that would likely cost $300 (US) or maybe more.

You are then going to need a special piece of furniture (some type of table maybe?) to place the acrylic box on, and then you would almost need to dedicate a small room or corner of a room to the table/display box.  

We have seen some modelers display the HK B-17 hung on the wall, vertically.  That overcomes the problems I've described above.  I actually like the appearance of that, but I'm sure that approach is not for everyone.

If anyone plans on buying one of the Lancasters, I'd love to hear ideas on how modelers plan to overcome the display problem!

I have been playing around with plans for a display cabinet, but it wont work. SO I will be using the above tactic. I have loads of open wall space in my house. 

I’m in the not going to buy it camp. I am building a special cabinet that’s 30” deep and 60” wide to hold large bombers, but the Lanc is not one that interests me enough to buy it. It will be holding a B-17, B-24, P-61, and a B-25 (and hopefully a B-29 one day). However, I do buy Wingnut kits because they are fantastically engineered, so, I may buy the WNW Lanc eventually if the price is not more than $400.