Italeri F-104G Luftwaffe, JaboG32 Lechfeld 1980s.

Whitey

The Lockheed F-104 has always been one of my favourite aircraft and I am pretty happy with the way this kit has turned out.

After a year she is finally finished...or so I thought until I looked through some of the photos again. Still a couple of aerials to add.

IMG_4035 (2)

Italeri's kit is by far the best F-104G on the market, but is not without its issues, but this hobby is modelling, not assemblying. I liked the soft plastic that made working with it easy but didn't enjoy filling in the heavy panel lines along the spine of the kit. My filler of choice is the cheapest super glue that I can get from a supermarket. Sanded as soon as it dried, and sometimes almost dry, kept the seam fillling to a few minutes of sanding rather than waiting for filler to dry and then shrink.

IMG_4007 (2)

I added an Aires seat, wheels and jet pipe; Academy Mk82 dummy bombs; Eduard IP and some of the Aires cockpit bits were added to the kit cockpit; the travel pod is from a couple of gun pods from  the spares box; Master pitot. The nose wheel is very fragile so I drilled and pinned the main strut.

30716431_2134548716563299_5375078556499968_o (2)

I used MRP paints for the first time and they are sensational. Sealed with SMS Super  Clear before adding ASTRA Decals  decals and then a custom mix of SMS gloss and Matt coat for final finish. The Astra Decals are sensational but don't quite fit the panels in some places. They apply very easily though.

IMG_4056 (2)

Burnt Sienna was used as the panel wash but I think it is too prominent from the photos. Mixed with Turpentine it does not damage the paint finish so I can can a cotton bud in there and reduce their effects significantly.

IMG_4055 (2)

IMG_4013 (2)

IMG_4043 (2)

IMG_4062 (2)

And just for a size comparison with some of the other local jets from that era.

IMG_4017 (2)

Italeri Mirage IIIC.

IMG_4020 (2)

Tamiya F-4J (UK)

1 hour ago, Dave Williams said:

Great!  

Did you have problems fitting the Aires pit?

Hi Dave,

I didn't install the Aires cockpit, just cut some of the bits off it to add to the kit cockpit and Eduard photo-etch panels.

Terrific job on your F-104G.  I love it!. <thumbsup>

7 hours ago, Whitey said:

(...) After a year she is finally finished...or so I thought until I looked through some of the photos again. Still a couple of aerials to add. (...) 

Save for the lower TACAN antenna immediately aft of the radome and the stbd temperature probe, I can't spot any missing odds and sods. B)

29 minutes ago, Ivan Ivanovich said:

Terrific job on your F-104G.  I love it!. <thumbsup>

Save for the lower TACAN antenna immediately aft of the radome and the stbd temperature probe, I can't spot any missing odds and sods. B)

Well spotted Ivan, yes I have added those since the photos. I will put up a final pic later on.