Revell Ju-88 A1 or Revell He-111 H6

Gazzas

The price of living in a great country with great year-round weather...  I'll take it.  A few more dollars for my hobby...it's ok.

Thanks for your thoughts, fellas.  I'm really hoping to find something else that grips me and will be easier to store/display.  Either of those birds would cover our coffee table for the 3.5 minutes that the missus allowed it...

Gaz

27 minutes ago, Gazzas said:

The price of living in a great country with great year-round weather...  I'll take it.  A few more dollars for my hobby...it's ok.

Thanks for your thoughts, fellas.  I'm really hoping to find something else that grips me and will be easier to store/display.  Either of those birds would cover our coffee table for the 3.5 minutes that the missus allowed it...

Gaz

Then get a bigger coffee table, and tell the missus she'll be lucky if she gets 3.5 minutes if you know what I mean.

I am sure now glad I picked up the Ju 88 A-4 at Hannants when passing thru London in 2016. They were on a special for 24 Pounds. I should have bought two !

Gaz there are so many conversion possibilities with Pastor John's conversions. I did a Ju 88 C-6 with one and plan a G-6 with the other.

Then again with the 1/32 V-1 being released a He 111 H-22 with a V-1 should not be difficult.

The joys of First World problems.  I am sure either will give you a lot of building pleasure.

Nick

14 hours ago, Gazzas said:

Hi LSP'ers

... I received a voucher for my LHS for Father's day a few weeks ago ... these Ju-88's and lone He-111 have been sitting there quite a while. (heck, I haven't been there in over a month, they might be gone by now)  So, providing that nothing else grabs me and they're still there...  I might buy one of them.

I'm assuming that many or most of you have built both of them already.  So....  Regarding detail, and fit, and markings, which would you buy?

Thanks for your thoughts,

Gaz

13 hours ago, Gazzas said:

The sticker price last I saw was 156$ AU.   86 Pounds or 112 USD.  Maybe that's it.

So ... The kit's themselves are tremendous bang for buck - or they were before they became as rare as rocking horse poo and extortionate pricing was brought into this conversation.

$150+ AUD is VERY expensive.

Accuracy is pretty decent on both ... the He.111 (either P or H) has a couple of issues but not enough to be a deal breaker to all but the most fastidious ... see NMayhew (Nick) for details - he's done a bucketload of research on this bird and the kit.

Fit is pretty good on both ...

Detail is always a personal preference - master brass barrels are always a must for me / while resin AM wheels are an absolute for others.

Considering the significant greenhouse at the front end of either of these machines a wee bit of AM indoors won't go astray either. I wasn't feeling particularly adventurous with the 88 I built - so I stayed with some Eduard sticky stuff ... but I kind of wished I'd done a little more detailing with the Heinkel - especially since I saw some lovely resin AM for the cockpit/bombardiers section.

Anyway ... the gripping hand here is that you have some sort of voucher, yes? ... So if you have to fork out cash up to about $80-90 AUD (while the voucher takes care of the rest), I'd say you're on par (with original retail pricing) anything less and you're discounted! ... and if the voucher covers the lot - doesn't matter how overpriced it was really, does it, considering it cost you zero wallet-dollars?

Rog :)

I have both in my stash, but have not built either. I paid $65 shipped for the JU-88-A1 and $68 at the LHS for the He-111 by Promodeller. I have seen both of these sell here in the US for about $45 to $70 regularly. You could probably buy both for what your LHS will sell one for. However, if they have been sitting there for a few years, ask them if they will give you a 20% discount? They are probably eager to move anything that has been sitting, especially if they are a chain. 

Also, I can keep an eye out for you and ship you one. No markup, my cost is your cost. I have done it for someone in NZ before, shipping was quite reasonable to AU and NZ. As a matter of fact, I spent half the money shipping three kits to NZ, than I did shipping one to UK! If you want, PM me, and I’ll keep an eye out for them when they go on sale.

I'm currently building the A-1 and she's a beaut kit. Don't need to add much in the way of aftermarket. All I have added so far are HGW fabric seatbelts and I also have Model Master barrels for the MG15s.

There are no decals for the instrument panel which is a little disappointing.

Edited by KitmodellerNZ

13 minutes ago, Shoggz said:

That's where I got my A4 motorised from, price was originally £140 ish got mine for £128 ish ... I think? I have the original A1 as well from when they first came out and were crazy cheap, as well the He.111 ... glad I have both.

If I had to choose one it would be an 88

Well, I went to the LHS yesterday and discovered that the 111H6 was finally gone.  the Ju-88A1's were there, but if I was gonna do an 88 it would have to be an A4.  So, I bought some other stuff including a late war half track by AFV Club.

Gaz

On 10/4/2018 at 10:16 AM, Gazzas said:

Well, I went to the LHS yesterday and discovered that the 111H6 was finally gone.  the Ju-88A1's were there, but if I was gonna do an 88 it would have to be an A4.  So, I bought some other stuff including a late war half track by AFV Club.

Gaz

You'll regret it, mark my words!