Tamiya's (not pink) Panther 1 October 2018

Gazzas

Looks great. I'm with you re: the painting issue. I have several books on WWII German armor colors, and they vary all over the place, some looking brand new, while others are so beat up and dirty that you can barely tell. This, plus the fact that most photos are B&W, leaves you with almost unlimited options.

30 minutes ago, LSP_Typhoonattack said:

Looks great. I'm with you re: the painting issue. I have several books on WWII German armor colors, and they vary all over the place, some looking brand new, while others are so beat up and dirty that you can barely tell. This, plus the fact that most photos are B&W, leaves you with almost unlimited options.

Thank you, Kev!  The pattern I used is straight out of Tamiya's directions for the machine and unit.  Though I wonder how much guesswork they've applied.  I sometimes wonder if there are things visible in the negative of a photo that isn't visible otherwise.  I had a picture of a StuG in a book when I was younger where the painter went Picasso on the schurzen.  Maybe I'll find it again some day.

Gaz

11 hours ago, Gerhard said:

Loving it Gaz. really well done. I havent built an armor kid since I was a little kid. Must try one sometime. 

You should try it.  It's a nice break from cockpit detail and ultra clean surfaces.

Gaz

Gaz,

I have built the same model and its a smooth build.  Looks like we were building from the same plans.  I enjoy Tamiya builds but tend to lean towards other manufactures for the complexity, over engineered by some opinions.  But full of options to my way of thinking.  I hope you had a good time.

As for camo patterns the Germans were issued cans of paint that had to be diluted for application.  As these cans were issued in the field units diluted the paint with whatever was available (water, fuel, etc.).  They also had no uniform application process, spray gun, paint brush or old rag.  Nor was there an order as to what uniform standard, by vehicle, camo should be applied.  This has lead to many arguments as to exact color variations, camo types and so forth.  Hence the vast types and variations of camo the German forces had. 

Below are some pictures from my build so you can see we were of the same mind on this build. 

IMG_9797.jpg

IMG_9798.jpg

IMG_9800.jpg

That's a great looking build, Sapper.  Incidentally, my father lives in Wasilla.  I visited there June 2017.  We're not native Alaskans...  we're Michiganders.

I pretty much followed the painting examples in the kit directions.  I find it very difficult at times to decipher what I see in a black and white photo.  But I hope to get better.  I like your painted spare tracks.  I painted mine with the brown and green reckoning that the painting guy wouldn't have wanted to lift them.

Great job!

15 hours ago, Gazzas said:

That's a great looking build, Sapper.  Incidentally, my father lives in Wasilla.  I visited there June 2017.  We're not native Alaskans...  we're Michiganders.

I pretty much followed the painting examples in the kit directions.  I find it very difficult at times to decipher what I see in a black and white photo.  But I hope to get better.  I like your painted spare tracks.  I painted mine with the brown and green reckoning that the painting guy wouldn't have wanted to lift them.

Great job!

I was out doing Army stuff during June 2017,

In July I was jumping in to Kapyong DZ in Queensland.    At about 2:01 I make my grand entrance, Left side of screen looking non too happy.

I have been here for the better part of 5 years.  I will be moving duty stations during the upcoming summer.  I love AK however, could use a little less winter at times.  If you are ever up this way prior to my departure let me know.  I have a spare desk a massive stash, fine whiskey and plenty of extras.  I am close to retiring.  Michigan is in the top 10 as to my final home....What puts you down under?

As for the tracks, ya, tankers(Military guys) and modelers can be too lazy at times to remove spare tracks prior to painting.

1 hour ago, SapperSix said:

In July I was jumping in to Kapyong DZ in Queensland.    What puts you down under?

Thanks for the invite! 

Williamson is about 10 hours drive from where we live.  And a bit hotter.   Michigan just gets more beautiful the farther north you go past M-55.  I miss it at times, but I don't miss the 5 and 1/2-months of winter.  No snow here and my Australian wife has a good career.  My training as a Marine artilleryman enables me to sweat anywhere, so here was the best option for all concerned.

If you ever come this way not on Uncle Sam's jump schedule, drop me a line.

Gaz

P.S.  Those BFA's remind me of Miles Gear and rifle cleaning...  Lots of rifle cleaning.

Edited by Gazzas
added text