Boulton Paul Defiant kit possible?

Daniel460

7 hours ago, thierry laurent said:

Well, if the landing gear and propeller were included , this would indeed lessen the effort! ;-)

That's true. The undercarriage is also being designed. I scratchbuilt mine mainly because I needed to meet a dateline. Also, because its an early war design, the undercarriage is actually quite fun to build out of brass bits. The props are quite easy to cut out and shape. I have a friend at the club who does it all the time. I used resin just to use up some old stock. The main thing is the spinner which is provided. 

Here's Chris designing the thing at HPM. Lol. 

DSC_2337_zpsschxetpy.jpg

Early test shots:

IMG-20180413-WA0018_zpskhtmxlvr.jpg

3289-11.jpg

3289-18.jpg

Suresh

Edited by Suresh Nathan

I have one fresh off the vacuum machine on the way! John at Tigger fixed me up. I found that it was easier to get a hold of him on facebook. Will be taking my Valient wings book to get the drawings enlarged in the next few days. :)

Suresh if you find you have an extra prop and landing gear set let me know......:whistle:

Anyone know of a good source for a Merlin XX engine in 1/32?

Dan

3 minutes ago, Daniel460 said:

I have one fresh off the vacuum machine on the way! John at Tigger fixed me up. I found that it was easier to get a hold of him on facebook. Will be taking my Valient wings book to get the drawings enlarged in the next few days. :)

Suresh if you find you have an extra prop and landing gear set let me know......:whistle:

Anyone know of a good source for a Merlin XX engine in 1/32?

Dan

Welcome to the dark side! 

I would like to think that Chris @HPM would be tempted to go the whole hog and produce an injection moulded 1/32 Defiant. Back in the day, I was working on a P-51B and D, and we were contemplating the Whirlwind (the solid masters of this went to China with me while working on the original Mirage). Then Tamiya came along with the P-51, and the rest is history.....

9 hours ago, Daniel460 said:

...  Anyone know of a good source for a Merlin XX engine in 1/32?

Dan

Apparently each WnW Lancaster kit will have 4 RR Merlins and 4 Packards ..

I'm sure someone will either 1) use Packards ... leaving them 4 spare Merlins (for a RR Factory diorama????)

or ... 2) Someone will have an early case of CBF set in after building up the first 1 or 2 of them and decide to close up the nacelles sans engine.

Rog :)

Edited by Artful69

4 hours ago, Alburymodeler said:

I would like to think that Chris @HPM would be tempted to go the whole hog and produce an injection moulded 1/32 Defiant. Back in the day, I was working on a P-51B and D, and we were contemplating the Whirlwind (the solid masters of this went to China with me while working on the original Mirage). Then Tamiya came along with the P-51, and the rest is history.....

Yes. This was discussed..... I've given Chris the link to this discussion so show him some Defiant love and who knows...... :thumbsup:

9 hours ago, Artful69 said:

Apparently each WnW Lancaster kit will have 4 RR Merlins and 4 Packards ..

I'm sure someone will either 1) use Packards ... leaving them 4 spare Merlins (for a RR Factory diorama????)

or ... 2) Someone will have an early case of CBF set in after building up the first 1 or 2 of them and decide to close up the nacelles sans engine.

Rog :)

Great idea Rog! Let me know when you get yours......:D

Dan

The Packard Merlin 28 engine is the US built variant of the RR Merlin XX. Apart from details and accessories they look visually similar. Providing 8 engines will be a matter of plastic overkill and more expensive too. The Mk III Lancaster was created to differentiate the US built engines. In service Lancs could be flying with a mix of both manufacturers engines.

As Iain says we never had it so good.

And yet we are not satisfied.:blink:

Cees

On 9/29/2018 at 2:01 PM, DeanKB said:

I'd buy a Defiant.

But then again, the market for crap British WWII two seat fighters is a bit thin.

Look at how many people want a crap German Fokker Dr.1 Triplane.

Also you are forgetting that the Defiant was a very successful night fighter, just as the Bf.110 was.

Edited by Fred Jack

30 minutes ago, Fred Jack said:

Look at how many people want a crap German Fokker Dr.1 Triplane.

Also you are forgetting that the Defiant was a very successful night fighter, just as the Bf.110 was.

The Fokker Triplane is an iconic WWI aircraft, that shot down a lot of aircraft, produced 16 Aces and was only replaced by the Fokker D.VII.

Hardly "crap"?

The Defiant was, at best, an interim mediocre night-fighter, quickly replaced by the Beaufighter after a few months, destined for the dreaded conversion to target tugs & air-sea rescue. The Bf 110 served as a night-fighter pretty much until the war ended.

On 10/5/2018 at 4:35 PM, DeanKB said:

The Fokker Triplane is an iconic WWI aircraft, that shot down a lot of aircraft, produced 16 Aces and was only replaced by the Fokker D.VII.

Hardly "crap"?

The Defiant was, at best, an interim mediocre night-fighter, quickly replaced by the Beaufighter after a few months, destined for the dreaded conversion to target tugs & air-sea rescue. The Bf 110 served as a night-fighter pretty much until the war ended.

You obviously haven’t read much about how slow because of drag and the poor visibility the DR1 had, and the reason the Germans kept using it, unlike the British who dropped theirs, was because until the D.Vlls came out, the Germans had nothing to replace the Dr.1. If the Dr.1 was so great, why was there not another Fokker Scourge as there was with the Fokker E.ll and lll, nor another Bloody April as there was with the Albatros D.lll. As a matter of fact, Fokker had problems at first selling the D.Vll because of the DR1’s reputation.

As far as the Beaufighter replacing the Defiant and the Hurricane as a night fighters. it had to do with radar on the Beaufighter and not the Defiant or Hurricane’s performances. But if I bought my models based on the actual plane’s performance, one of my favorite models wouldn’t be an RE.8.

As far as the Defiant, Scratchbuilders released a stunning Defiant in 1/32 until about 15 years ago in resin. It received great reviews. I even have one.

Edited by Fred Jack

On 9/29/2018 at 11:57 AM, Tony T said:

Is their 1/48 Defiant any good, as that would likely form the basis of a potential 1/32 one?

The Airfix one is far superior, but as we know, Airfix would never touch 32nd scale.... Shame.