Great Wall Hobby P-40B Tomahawk in 1/32

Jan_G

9 minutes ago, Jennings Heilig said:

I've been all over those sprue photos, but I can't locate a US style pitot.  Can anyone else find it?  The built-up model shows the RAF style.

I've emailed GWH to see if it's not too late for them to tool a correct right aileron with the external ground-adjustable trim tab, as well as the RAF style external armored windscreen.  We'll see what they say.  Those are the only issues I see off the bat.

Jennings, would the ''US style pitot'' and the ''RAF style external armored windscreen'' be an issue for an AVG bird?

Thanks, John

2 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

I've been all over those sprue photos, but I can't locate a US style pitot.  Can anyone else find it?  The built-up model shows the RAF style.

Lower centre sprue J, they're next to each other.

Dolman Miniatures produce a C.L.Chennault figure.

Some nice profiles here.

not quite getting the needed for the external armor windscreen seen on one or two RAF Tomahawks ?

its not from what I've see a standard ..but a local field mod and quite crude...

Of the hundreds of Tomahawk photos I've collected over the years I've seen it on one, maybe two aircraft...

I could be wrong and maybe is was a wide spread standard...if so ..and people have found a number of photos of different Tomahawks showing this same mod ...please share and we can document it was more widespread.....

but I would never use unless I had clear photography proof that  aircraft had that mod

The mod itself would be simple just removing the center curve glass and replacing with some flat clear stock

Much rather see the difference variations of RAF Tomahawks exhaust stacks (fish tail and the flame dampen) that seem far more common 

And with gunsite setup on US, RAF, & AVG aircraft all being unique and very different on each on each of these services aircraft (with no idea what the kit has if any)...and then add in the two different INTERNAL Armor glass setups (US vs RAF/AVG).. well that would also be higher on my wish list..

We can also get in the the large spine blister formation light RAF Tomahawks had (and patch over opening for it on AVG aircraft) that no o6n has ever done on any RAF Tomahawks kit..the unique fuel and oil stencil markings under the rear glass on RAF/AVG Tomahawk that no one's ever done, the US aircraft under wing airtemp probe...the diffrent underwing flare door set up, the tall antenna mast..the difference tail wheels and tail wheel doors...etc,etc, etc..

Edited by HBBates

aeroscale.net/news/tomahawk-detail-update

Great Wall Hobby has posted on their Facebook pages more images illustrating the quality of detail with their forthcoming 1:32 scale Curtis Hawk 81-A2 Tomahawk ‘Flying Tigers’

1244-entry-0-1631091747.jpg

1244-entry-9-1631091747.jpg

1244-entry-5-1631091747.jpg

1244-entry-11-1631091747.jpg

:rolleyes:

Juraj

Edited by Trak-Tor

4 hours ago, MDuv said:

So the big magnet at the back of the engine assembly will allow removal of the airframe to be displayed on the mount ?

Exactly, ala the Tamiya 1/48 Bf-109G kits. Quite clever, really.

- Dennis S.

Thornton, CO USA

Looking really, really nice.  May help me get over the bone-crushing, soul-ripping sadness caused by Tamiya not releasing any new LSP’s.   

I’d be down for a British desert version and ideally an N model.   Something kinda cool about those N’s still in combat at war’s end.   

One comment - why do so many companies think it’s a “feature” to include vinyl tires?   Hoping Barracuda steps up to the rescue on this one.  

Edited by John1

7 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

Do you have clear photos or tech manual illustrations of the different types of sights and the other stuff you mentioned?  If so, I can forward it on to GWH.  He has indicated interest in doing items for a proper Tomahawk.

I don't really see them doing every single tiny variation, but if we could get the major stuff that would be a good start.

Hi im going to post a link to copy of my old "Long Nose Hawks” write up from May 2008 (forgive the terrible grammar and spelling)  the "Early P-40 /Tomahawks Detail’s (part 1 of 3)" section is still relevant if somewhat dated (I do have a photo of the RAF external Armor Glass in this) 

... i had to find a copy on the internet as i lost my original document some years back

But I believe the old "Long Nose Hawks” write up was the first place much of this was first documented  (like the squareback seat)

https://ww2aircraft.net/forum/attachments/hume-bates_long-nose-hawks-pdf.491053/

Also some later notes

Marking

FtDJspE.jpg

RAF gunsights setup

VsbNXsk.jpg

RAF exhaust

v8MGBGH.jpg

The ID light on spine and antenna 

SVFr2Od.jpg

Colors

4ljVldj.jpg 

US P40 landing gear paint

WRyHPaw.jpg

RAF landing gear paint

4fstC0m.jpg

Squareback seat color 

cltAOaB.jpg

and just some oddity's uYZRTu6.jpg

Edited by HBBates

8 hours ago, John1 said:

One comment - why do so many companies think it’s a “feature” to include vinyl tires?   Hoping Barracuda steps up to the rescue on this one.  

They already do, albeit for the Trumpeter kit, but no reason they shouldn't work on the GWH kit.