Great Wall Hobby P-40B Tomahawk in 1/32

Jan_G

I think the costs to offer the extra interior detail is much less what with the CAD/CAM abilities of these companies. Some extra time on the computer, hit a button, presto, molds of parts that fit pretty good first time. Extra plastic is pennies, as Jennings says.

21 hours ago, TwoHands said:

Lots of detail/cost wasted on stuff that will be forever unseen IMO.

To each their own. I can not help but notice your profile pic is P&W radial, which are at least partially visible on models and are always of central importance to overall quality of the model kit. Perhaps they were just trying to share some love to the in-line guys for a change. Personally the engine or radio compartment will not make a difference in whether or not I purchase this kit, either will $20 on the price tag.  The build-ability of the kit, plus its overall shape are all that matter to me. 

1 hour ago, MikeMaben said:

There 'is' such a thing as too much detail. I like to build models of airplanes,

not necessarily a collection of nuts, bolts. wires. tubes, switches, knobs

wrapped in an airplane.

You can build a “simple” model from a very detailed kit. Just do not use some of the parts. Others may want to build a “detailed” model. Others may want to find the “middle ground” with just some panels open. These are options. Offering options and choice is not a bad thing. 

Radu

9 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

There 'is' such a thing as too much detail. I like to build models of airplanes,

wrapped in an airplane.

Well I guess you can accept the GWH kit as is, or build the trumpeter kit.  Or pass until you get what you want. 

10 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

wrapped in an airplane.

You will have two fuselage halves, a engine cowling, four wing parts, flaps tail surfer faces, canopy parts.  After that you can leave out anything you want.  Someone will probably happily buy the left overs or trade for them.  If the exterior shape is good, it will be a nicer kit than the Trumpeter one.  There is always the option to simplify an over engineered kit.  I am working on a 1/35 Dragon King Tiger for my son as he has discovered German tanks.  However, I am looking at photo etch and things that come in and deciding he is not going to care about that stuff, delete.  I used the PE grills but skipped a lot of the tiny parts.  I got the kit somewhat discounted and the idea is to get it quickly built and painted so I am not hesitating to leave stuff off or out.  Same applies here, I know I wont build the engine installed in the plane with all that detail unless like Tamiya they have hidden magnets etc.  ASsuming they are not doing that If I do the engine it wlll be a separate piece or I won:t do it at all and someone will want that motor and all the bits that go with it.