Great Wall Hobby P-40B Tomahawk in 1/32

Jan_G

• 1 month later...
On 1/6/2021 at 1:38 AM, Jennings Heilig said:

They did.  And about 1000 detail photos of the FHCAM bird.  At the rate GWH is going, Tamiya better be looking over their shoulder.  Those guys have been climbing a steep learning curve, but every new release is better and better, and they truly do want to do things right.  

Jenn is there any fresh news about that??

John

On 3/24/2021 at 7:16 AM, Jennings Heilig said:

They're well into tooling, so the kit is essentially done, but it's appreciated!

Question the early Tomahawks had ailerons with fixed ground adjustable trim tabs on both left and right aileron....laters Tomahawks got the left aileron with the inset cockpit adjustable tab on the left aileron you see on all the later P40s( the right always remains with the fixed tab ground adjust tab) .. ..if you look at AVG Tomahawks photos...your see aircraft with both types of left aileron tabs.. fixed gound adjust and inset cockpit adjust..any chance of both type of left ailerons? 

Edited by HBBates

I hope they can manage removable cowlings like Tamiya.  I don't like to build open cowling only.  They seem to be doing a lot of work on engine and area behind pit the may not be very visible.  i know I will want to build one at least however if cowling has to be closed I won't bother with all that nice engine detail.  In then end I am all in on a nice high quality p-40.  For me I will be doing an AVG plane, I have the references already and have built a couple in 1/48 over the years but not a 1/32.  

On 3/25/2021 at 6:46 PM, Jennings Heilig said:

Yes, but that CAD was nowhere near the finished article.

Hi can I offer and input?

From the CAD by the lower cowl seams and fullness they uses a restored examples but all the restoration tend to use the later model P40 as a guide for the lower cowl lines  (little fill and sand easy fix on model) the early P40 lower cowl is more " V" or heart shape vs the "U" of later P40's lower cowl 

And a marking behind the real glass fuel port that no one makes a decal for.. i seen this marking on just about ever Tomahawk  

FtDJspE.jpg0HkCOeT.jpg

41 minutes ago, Jennings Heilig said:

Those section drawings appear to be Jun Temma’s, and I know they used those for reference.  I doubt I would have any input at this point.

Yes that from the Jun Temma’s drawing. He got the difference in the lower cowl cross section.. his drawing are excellent.. only fyi on those drawing is the radio hatch on the P36 early P40 ..do to simplify the fuselage framing on the Hawk 87 P40D to N the radio hatch is slightly narrower then on the Hawk 75, Hawk 81 P36 P40 B-C.. its very hard to spot and to me some time to document..Jun Temma notes on creating the doing the drawing assume the radio hatch was the same size across the whole P36 To P40 N ..I had made the same assumption for years because I couldn't figure out why they would make a slight size change in the opening  to I found the frame simplify on the later P40 vs the early P36 P40

looking forward to getting this as long as the price isn't too high - looks like there's a lot of work gone on the internal details none of which will be of any use to me as I don't like opening my builds up so hope it doesn't push the price up too much. If I get one, I plan to do a Russian plane in winter colour scheme - a nice dirty white with big red stars, should look great ! 

Just now, npb748r said:

looking forward to getting this as long as the price isn't too high - looks like there's a lot of work gone on the internal details none of which will be of any use to me as I don't like opening my builds up so hope it doesn't push the price up too much. If I get one, I plan to do a Russian plane in winter colour scheme - a nice dirty white with big red stars, should look great ! 

just checked and they were P-40c's so that wont work, plan B was an ex-RAF machine in Egyptian Air Force markings.