WINGNUT WINGS LANCASTER!!!!!!!!!

seiran01

9 hours ago, Pup7309 said:

At the end of the day price is relative. For me its expensive but if I was a Lanc fan, I'd be getting it.

Will it's surface texture be the 'Dreadnought' that recessed panel lines was in the 90's?

Interesting times.

Definitely interesting times Pup.  As far as "oil canning" being the next step in modeling technology, I'm not sure.  Very few aircraft (unless I completely missed it in all the pics I've perused) have this effect, especially as pronounced as the Lanc or the B-52.   I guess some very subtle and extremely random stress distortion might be present but I don't think it's applicable to most aircraft. 

Regarding the lack of interior details in the aft fuselage, personally, if it's not going to be visible, it's all wasted anyway.   I do get that maybe 1% of the modelers would be inclined to hack up their $350 dollar kit to show the entire interior in all it's glory but for me, I'm totally fine with WN skipping these bits and passing on the savings to the consumer.  

On cost - last year I purchased the most expensive kit I've ever bought - the Tamiya Corsair.  Also purchased a bunch of aftermarket stuff, references, etc.  All up, I probably spent close to what this Lanc will cost.  That investment kept me in modeling bliss for close to a year (yeah, I build that slowly).  In that time, I probably would have spent the same on 2 or 3 cheaper (and quicker to build) models.   Another way I looked at it was that I spend significantly more at Starbucks (don't judge me, I like there coffee) than I would if I purchased the WNW kit and took 6 months to a year to build this beast.  I'd argue that most modelers could afford this kit, it just comes down to their (and in some relationships, their wife's) particular priorities. 

Edited by John1

1 hour ago, John1 said:

Definitely interesting times Pup.  As far as "oil canning" being the next step in modeling technology, I'm not sure.  Very few aircraft (unless I completely missed it in all the pics I've perused) have this effect, especially as pronounced as the Lanc or the B-52.   I guess some very subtle and extremely random stress distortion might be present but I don't think it's applicable to most aircraft. 

Please do a quick Google Images and look carefully at the photos. That "oil canning" effect can actually be considered a "standard feature" on the Lancaster, it is so visible in so many photos. 

Radu 

6 hours ago, Radub said:

Please do a quick Google Images and look carefully at the photos. That "oil canning" effect can actually be considered a "standard feature" on the Lancaster, it is so visible in so many photos. 

Radu 

Maybe I wasn’t clear in that post. I meant that most aircraft don’t have oil canning to the same extent as the lanc.  

you sure? the oilcanning effect is a result of the stresses in the metal due to rivetting. With a thin metal skin it cannot be avoided.

not to be confused with the stresses while the aircraft is in flight where the dihedral increases due to aerodynamic forces and the resulting "creases" in the wingskins.

The fuselage while on the ground sags because of the weight.

I had the pleasure to see Lancaster NX611 yesterday and there is oilcanning everywhere. Also a wish came true when I sat in the pilot seat. Great inspiration for building the new kits.

Cees

4 hours ago, Pup7309 said:

Well put !:clap2: 

WNW’s oil canning is potentially a real game changer for metal skinned a/c. 

I absolutely agree, and I suspect most modellers will come to see it as such in time, in which case it will be up to Tamiya et al to do retooled Spitfires and F4U's etc to 

catch up!

Edited by 19squadron

21 hours ago, Pup7309 said:

Well put !:clap2: 

WNW’s oil canning is potentially a real game changer for metal skinned a/c. 

WNW were not the first to use that effect. Airfix used "oil canning" on their 1/24 Typhoon that they released five years ago. I remember that at the time it was also called "revolutionary" and "game changing". It is a real PIA to design and in many ways it is no different from "sagged fabric" effect, it is just a local deformation of a surface area. 

Radu 

Edited by Radub

Radu!!!! How very dare you mention the likes of the illustrious, world beating and all round bestest thing ever to happen since sliced bread, WNW in the same century as the far more inferior Airfix. You will surely burn in hell for that ;) 

Yes tongue in cheek for those not understanding sarcasm.

1 hour ago, AlanG said:

Radu!!!! How very dare you mention the likes of the illustrious, world beating and all round bestest thing ever to happen since sliced bread, WNW in the same century as the far more inferior Airfix. You will surely burn in hell for that ;) 

Some followers of the "Cult of WNW" already tried to lynch me as a heretic, so it is only "more of the usual". :-) 

Radu 

Edited by Radub

2 hours ago, AlanG said:

Tamiya are not fit to lace WNW's boots, etc...

The call for Tamiya to retool their 1/32 kits - amongst the best 1/32 kits ever made - to match the effect of a kit that hasn't even been released by WNW yet, is the absolute height of the church of WNW cult.

And I've got over 75 WNW kits, and I love 'em. But they are certainly not without fault.

WNW have had a relatively easy ride of it so far. Jumping onto a very well researched aircraft like the Lanc, a British institution, with photos abound, real life examples, many volumes written, video taken & quite a few "experts" all over the internet, will be something else, without even considering the oil canning effect.

It'll be interesting, and I'm not at all sure WNW's reputation will be enhanced overall, because of the inevitable negative reviews the kit will get, at least from some sources. 

On 6/25/2019 at 5:56 PM, AlanG said:

Guess i'm not 'most modellers' then

Alan, the are so many modellers for whom a $400 kit is just not even on their radar as possible. But for some people who can afford it, it appears they struggle to believe others also can't do the same, as if all modellers share their financial circumstances.

It's very odd.

Dean i am not saying WNW are not worthy of praise for their model kits. Far from it. Even someone as untalented as myself can recognise that they produce some beautiful looking kits, even if they are not from my period of interest.

I cannot afford the WNW Lanc (or the HK Lanc for that matter). I'd struggle to buy the 1/48 Tamiya kit lol. And even if i could afford the WNW Lanc, i doubt i would buy it as i cannot justify the cost vs my talent. I'd be too scared to make a mess up of it. Plus £400 would buy me a lot of kits and accessories

I am TOTALLY excited about seeing some of the many fantastic builders on here tackling this kit and showing their beautiful creations afterwards.