WINGNUT WINGS LANCASTER!!!!!!!!!

seiran01

1 hour ago, adameliclem said:

Ladies, gents, and everything in between, I love you all dearly, having been a lurker for fifteen years, but, Holy Crap, I swear some of you would complain because your new unicorn has spots and didn't come with a free mermaid.

Adam

Adam- you win the internet today!

cheers

Pete

7 hours ago, adameliclem said:

Ladies, gents, and everything in between, I love you all dearly, having been a lurker for fifteen years, but, Holy Crap, I swear some of you would complain because your new unicorn has spots and didn't come with a free mermaid.

Adam

No mermaid wouldn't bother me, but it better have sparkles, in the correct pattern if course!

10 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

Ive got the Airfix F6F, and IMHO it’s overdone and not representative of what a new Hellcat looked like in 1944-45.

But Jennings, you are assuming people are going to build this as a "new" aircraft with all glossy paint fresh from the factory ?

Maybe some will but I anticipate most will build it with a decent bit of weathering as a veteran of combat.

:D

Just one thing on this oil canning thing.

Why wasn't there the same concern/discussion with the 1/24 Airfix Typhoons  which also have it ?

54 minutes ago, PhilB said:

But Jennings, you are assuming people are going to build this as a "new" aircraft with all glossy paint fresh from the factory ?

Maybe some will but I anticipate most will build it with a decent bit of weathering as a veteran of combat.

:D

Just one thing on this oil canning thing.

Why wasn't there the same concern/discussion with the 1/24 Airfix Typhoons  which also have it ?

Well said!

9 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

Unfortunately there is no way to prove either way since we cant see what a factory fresh Lanc looks like right off the assembly line, we only have photographic evidence of the time, and current flying examples to go off of.

Both of those show me that it was not nearly as uniform on the real deal as presented on the model. I can only go with what evidence is there/that we have access to.

I think that is a difficult call,

1/ the model is a function of the CAD processor power - as commented on by Dave Alexander

2/ modern restorations cannot be compared to wartime builds, because a/ the quality of the contemporary metal sheet will be much higher than wartime, b/ modern restorations  take years of time by craftsmen, whereas Wartime aircraft were knocked out in hours - and I have heard how many wartime wings have been shimmed out because nothing quite fits, which all goes to create stress in the surface that would not be there in a restoration. All modern restorations look glossy and smooth to me and therefore completely out of character with wartime pics.

1 hour ago, 19squadron said:

All modern restorations look glossy and smooth to me and therefore completely out of character with wartime pics.

Yuuup! There it is! Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the "bad restoration" argument, the "Godwin's Law" of model forums. :D

Radu 

OK,  so to get an accurate Lancaster we must buy both the HK and Wnw kits, cut them up so as to use the flat were we think it should be flat and the bulging metal where that should be.   Think of all of the discussion to be had about who does it the best and has created the most accurate Lancaster.......it would never end???????:hmmm::popcorn:

Food for thought........

Enjoying every minute of this one for sure!

16 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

Ive got the Airfix F6F, and IMHO it’s overdone and not representative of what a new Hellcat looked like in 1944-45.

Hi Jennings, my comment was limited to the Lancaster which is the discussion in this thread, there seem to be contemporary photos that show canning on the Lancaster.  Also I suspect the canning won’t look as overdone in person.  However I am limiting that comment to this kit.  I was not commenting on the Hellcat which is a different model, by a different company in a larger scale.  So I don’t think the two are comparable at this stage as the WNW kit is not available yet to see it in person.  I am open minded though to the canning effect.  However if people don’t like it the HK kit is available now.

I am interested in seeing how the caning looks on the Hellcat, Initially I was going to buy one and build it for sure.  I am looking at your decal sheet which may induce me ultimately to build one but I don’t have time right now with another major project that has to be completed first.  Also getting the bug to do a 1/32 Tamiya jet.

I personally think that if carried on in an adult, respectful manor,  discussions can  be a very good thing.   I do think it this case, regardless of what is presented, the discussion will continue on and on and on, as it all comes down to the modeler themselves and what they like on their model in the end. 

I look at t this way, the nice thing about the Lanc is we have, or will have, 2 to choose from. I have the HK one and will be getting 1 of each version from WnW. Who woulda thought 5-6 years ago we would have TWO 1/32 lancasters? As for the oil canning, it would be much easy to sand it off vs adding it and given the nature of the WnW plastic, it wouldn't take muck to knock off the extra plastic. I rarely argue about kit inaccuracies on forums because it takes away from my precious building time that is already hard to come across.

Pick one (or both) and build it, I always like to see WIP's from everyone!

Edited by The Dude

11 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I look at t this way, the nice thing about the Lanc is we have, or will have, 2 to choose from. I have the HK one and will be getting 1 of each version from WnW. Who woulda thought 5-6 years ago we would have TWO 1/32 lancasters? As for the oil canning, it would be much easy to sand it off vs adding it and given the nature of the WnW plastic, it wouldn't take muck to knock off the extra plastic. I rarely argue about kit inaccuracies on forums because it takes away from my precious building time that is already hard to come across.

Pick one (or both) and build it, I always like to see WIP's from everyone!

Well said

- I would not be at all surprised however that when numerous WNW kits are built and stand alongside the HK version for direct comparison, the scale of what WNW have done will become overwhelmingly apparent -[to most]!