WINGNUT WINGS LANCASTER!!!!!!!!!

seiran01

14 hours ago, Ryan said:

I wonder as they continue to flesh out the link page are they getting closer to releasing....perhaps at the nationals? :)

While reviewing the link, I noted the cost estimation, has this been there the whole time?

For at least a couple of months

On 6/27/2019 at 2:21 AM, vince14 said:

To be fair, though, there's also a hypocrisy in people already writing off the WNW Lanc because of what they've seen on a few CAD drawings whilst at the same time saying that their current WWI kits have never been properly scrutinised due to a 'lack' of documentation around WWI aircraft.

WNW will release the Lanc. Some will be easily able to afford it, some cannot. Some will love the oil canning effect, some will detest it. The good news is that people who really, really want a 1/32 Lanc can choose between the WNW and HKM kits.

I had lunch with Gordon of Spruebrothers a couple of weeks ago and the HKM Lanc came up. He made a joke that he couldn't give them away. He received 25 of each version and still has 25 of each in stock, so there is some truth to it. I would venture to guess the WNW Lanc probably won't move any faster. 

One thing I find funny about all of the negative comments about this kit is they are coming from modelers that more than likely won't buy the kit regardless. 

42 minutes ago, Dave Roof said:

I had lunch with Gordon of Spruebrothers a couple of weeks ago and the HKM Lanc came up. He made a joke that he couldn't give them away. He received 25 of each version and still has 25 of each in stock, so there is some truth to it. I would venture to guess the WNW Lanc probably won't move any faster. 

One thing I find funny about all of the negative comments about this kit is they are coming from modelers that more than likely won't buy the kit regardless. 

So has the market reached saturation for now? People waiting for the WNW kit reviews? Or something else?

21 minutes ago, Pup7309 said:

So has the market reached saturation for now? People waiting for the WNW kit reviews? Or something else?

I think they are too big.  I have thought since the HK B-17 that 1/32 4 engine bombers were going to have an increadibly limited market.  It is not about the money either.  HK models are really a great value when you look at what you get for the money.  However, If you don’t build it you have giant model boxes to store.  If you do build it you have to find a place for it.  When I was a kid and I got board with a model I blew it up or shot at it.  I don’t do that as an adult.  Personally I try to sell my models, so I don’t accumulate a bunch of stuff in storage.  But someone ends up with the model, whether it is on your shelf or someone else’s.  A 1/32 single engine fighter does not take up much space, but I remember the 1/48 monogram kits of the B-29 and Liberator as I build those.  They were still huge models that overhung the shelf they were on.  

I will also say that I find the WNW Lancaster the most compelling 4 engine bomber I have seen.  I like the oil canning that some criticize, if you don’t like it the HK kit is available, but more importantly the outer wings are removable so it can sit on three points on a shelf with outboard wings removed.  This works better for display as you can show it with full wings on when you want.  To me that is plain smart engineering and makes the model more practical built.

Edited by cbk57

5 hours ago, Dave Roof said:

I bet you the WNW Lanc sells as well as the Gotha IV and the Felixstowe 2a, and the reason the HK lanc is not selling, is exactly the same as the reason so few HK Mossie's sold once the Tamiya was out. Credit to HK but they have been outdone by the accuracy and quality of WNW and Tamiya.

23 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

I agree that I think (and its already very evident) that the oil-canning is very polarizing.   As was mentioned above, some will love it, and it will be one of the soul reasons they buy the kit, and others will despise it, and will not buy the kit specifically because of it. 

Me, Im somewhere in the middle, but fortunately that middle doesn't include a die hard love or passion for the Lanc, so either way, I will save some coin by not getting either, having nothing to do with the stressed skin effects. 

I do have to say though, looking through WnWs own picture references from the links above,  I indeed do see some stressed skin effects here and there, but nothing to the extent or uniformity that has been portrayed on the model

AvRo%20Lancaster%20B.Mk.1%20R5729%2044%2

http://www.wingnutwings.com/ww/vEF754EA7/www/products/model_kitsets/32043/archive_photos/Avro%20Lancaster%20B.Mk.III%20ED664%20460%20Squadron%20AR-A2%20'Aussie'%20with%2037%20'hops'%201943%20(ww2images.com%20A04293w).jpg

AvRo%20Lancaster%20B.Mk.1%20R5666%2044%2

AvRo%20Lancaster%20B.Mk.1%20R5868%20467%

Obviously this is just a matter of taste, and will continue to be a source of contention and discussion until the cows come home...............or at least until the actual model gets here and we have a chance to look at the plastic in hand, and to see what it all will look like under paint.   

When you next visit the UK, make a trip to RAF Hendon to see the original Lanc there, and you will see without the misleading nature of photography, just how accurate, and well done the WNW surface is. - It is a new dawn in modelling and I have no doubt will be seen as such in time.

17 minutes ago, 19squadron said:

When you next visit the UK, make a trip to RAF Hendon to see the original Lanc there, and you will see without the misleading nature of photography, just how accurate, and well done the WNW surface is. - It is a new dawn in modelling and I have no doubt will be seen as such in time.

I have seen the Canadian Lancs up close and personal several times. I have no doubt the Hendon Lanc has oil canning on it, Im not disputing that its not there.

Indeed a 75 or 80 year old airplane there on display, original or not 75 or 80 years has STILL passed, and much more oil canning seems evident, but I have a VERY (and I mean VERY) hard time believing a brand new Lancaster right out of the plant had the extremely even and uniform treatment that WNW has presented.  I just dont see any evidence what-so-ever that it was uniform and constant all over every single panel on the aircraft.   I see evidence to the contrary, that it was indeed there, and was over varying parts of the aircraft, but even the flying Lancs of today do not have the consistent overall oil-canning over every panel on the aircraft, and in such a strict uniform pattern.  

6 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

It seems much less negative and more simply an opinion about weather or not any one individual likes the treatment or not. I am included in the group that wont be buying either, so really its only down to opinion either way.  

I'm pretty much the same, Brian. I like both kits, but have no desire at all for a big ol' Lanc anyway, so I'm cool with whatever purchase someone decides to make.

My bet is when you get the model or see it in person the canning effect will not look as over done.  I am not sure if I am going to buy one or not, it is a lot of time and money for one model.  The canning effect is not an issue for me as I like the look of what I am seeing so far.  The photos are super closeups on a somewhat glossy bare plastic surface so I think it won’t be near the big deal it is made out to be.  Frankly I think also primer and paint are going to level it out a bit also.  

I just an not sure I want to take on one of these things but we will see.  I am getting the urge to do a Tamiya 1/32 Jet.  Never built a big jet before.

Its a 6 to one, 1/2 dozen on the other situation for me, as I was only commenting on my personal perception of the uniformity of the application only, as I will be buying neither the WNW nor HKM Lanc offerings.  I'm sure whomever buys the WNW Lanc kit will thoroughly enjoy it. Their kits are a gift from the modeling gods. 

4 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

I have seen the Canadian Lancs up close and personal several times. I have no doubt the Hendon Lanc has oil canning on it, Im not disputing that its not there.

Indeed a 75 or 80 year old airplane there on display, original or not 75 or 80 years has STILL passed, and much more oil canning seems evident, but I have a VERY (and I mean VERY) hard time believing a brand new Lancaster right out of the plant had the extremely even and uniform treatment that WNW has presented.  I just dont see any evidence what-so-ever that it was uniform and constant all over every single panel on the aircraft.   I see evidence to the contrary, that it was indeed there, and was over varying parts of the aircraft, but even the flying Lancs of today do not have the consistent overall oil-canning over every panel on the aircraft, and in such a strict uniform pattern.  

And I have no doubt the surface of these aircraft is a measure of their manufacture and the gauge of sheet ally used, not of age.

look at wartime pics and unrestored Spitfires = very uneven skin

look at modern reproductions = very smooth skin.

Edited by 19squadron

Unfortunately there is no way to prove either way since we cant see what a factory fresh Lanc looks like right off the assembly line, we only have photographic evidence of the time, and current flying examples to go off of.

Both of those show me that it was not nearly as uniform on the real deal as presented on the model. I can only go with what evidence is there/that we have access to.