WINGNUT WINGS LANCASTER!!!!!!!!!

seiran01

1 hour ago, DeanKB said:

Tamiya are not fit to lace WNW's boots, etc...

The call for Tamiya to retool their 1/32 kits - amongst the best 1/32 kits ever made - to match the effect of a kit that hasn't even been released by WNW yet, is the absolute height of the church of WNW cult.

And I've got over 75 WNW kits, and I love 'em. But they are certainly not without fault.

WNW have had a relatively easy ride of it so far. Jumping onto a very well researched aircraft like the Lanc, a British institution, with photos abound, real life examples, many volumes written, video taken & quite a few "experts" all over the internet, will be something else, without even considering the oil canning effect.

It'll be interesting, and I'm not at all sure WNW's reputation will be enhanced overall, because of the inevitable negative reviews the kit will get, at least from some sources. 

We'll we will see what the reaction is - I totally disagree with you about the lanc,  but it will be released it will be built and there will eventually emerge a consensus as to how much WNW have taken forward 1/32 model kits. I predict it will be game-changing, and the result will be that Tamiya 1/32 Spitfires look old hat, but we will see - give it time and consensus will emerge from the experience of building these aircraft and  the results achieved.

1 hour ago, AlanG said:

Dean i am not saying WNW are not worthy of praise for their model kits. Far from it. Even someone as untalented as myself can recognise that they produce some beautiful looking kits, even if they are not from my period of interest.

I cannot afford the WNW Lanc (or the HK Lanc for that matter). I'd struggle to buy the 1/48 Tamiya kit lol. And even if i could afford the WNW Lanc, i doubt i would buy it as i cannot justify the cost vs my talent. I'd be too scared to make a mess up of it. Plus £400 would buy me a lot of kits and accessories

I am TOTALLY excited about seeing some of the many fantastic builders on here tackling this kit and showing their beautiful creations afterwards.

I agree totally.

6 hours ago, DeanKB said:

Tamiya are not fit to lace WNW's boots, etc...

The call for Tamiya to retool their 1/32 kits - amongst the best 1/32 kits ever made - to match the effect of a kit that hasn't even been released by WNW yet, is the absolute height of the church of WNW cult.

And I've got over 75 WNW kits, and I love 'em. But they are certainly not without fault.

WNW have had a relatively easy ride of it so far. Jumping onto a very well researched aircraft like the Lanc, a British institution, with photos abound, real life examples, many volumes written, video taken & quite a few "experts" all over the internet, will be something else, without even considering the oil canning effect.

It'll be interesting, and I'm not at all sure WNW's reputation will be enhanced overall, because of the inevitable negative reviews the kit will get, at least from some sources. 

You mention the hypocrisy of calling for upgrades of Tamiya’s kits due to “features” of the WNW Lanc that hasn’t even been released and then you forecast negative reviews for the same unreleased kit.  

What am I missing here?   

The WNW "cult" ?

I think it has definitely achieved "cult" status for some.

Not necessarily a bad thing as most cults are benign but there's a very good vid by a guy called John Cadogan who is a straight-talking Aussie car guy who has a Yootoob channel.

He did one called "Tesla Cult" for the Tesla car company.

To start with he defines "cult" and "faith" (not in the religious sense) and if you look at some of the "predictions" on here we definitely have a few paid up members of the WNW "cult".

:lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6GeHnMwl1c

Edited by PhilB

6 hours ago, John1 said:

You mention the hypocrisy of calling for upgrades of Tamiya’s kits due to “features” of the WNW Lanc that hasn’t even been released and then you forecast negative reviews for the same unreleased kit.  

What am I missing here?   

To be fair, though, there's also a hypocrisy in people already writing off the WNW Lanc because of what they've seen on a few CAD drawings whilst at the same time saying that their current WWI kits have never been properly scrutinised due to a 'lack' of documentation around WWI aircraft.

WNW will release the Lanc. Some will be easily able to afford it, some cannot. Some will love the oil canning effect, some will detest it. The good news is that people who really, really want a 1/32 Lanc can choose between the WNW and HKM kits.

5 hours ago, DonH said:

Regardless of the quality of the WNW kit, you still have to add glue, paint (and, dare I say, filler) and a modicum of ability. It is these crucial items that will make or break the kit, not whether it has oil-canning. 

Now that's the truth.

Just as we all slate a kit on the internet, do you think that manufacturers look at our completed builds and burst out into laughter at the crappy job we've done building them?

54 minutes ago, PhilB said:

The WNW "cult" ?

I think it has definitely achieved "cult" status for some.

Not necessarily a bad thing as most cults are benign but there's a very good vid by a guy called John Cadogan who is a straight-talking Aussie car guy who has a Yootoob channel.

He did one called "Tesla Cult" for the Tesla car company.

To start with he defines "cult" and "faith" (not in the religious sense) and if you look at some of the "predictions" on here we definitely have a few paid up members of the WNW "cult".

:lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6GeHnMwl1c

I do think that there's also a 'Cult of Tamiya' going on, too. Members are seen to visibly twitch and reach for their keyboards the instant someone says that WNW are better than Tamiya! The truth is this - Tamiya and WNW are currently the best two companies when it comes to 1/32 aircraft kit manufacturers.

Now, some things Tamiya does better than WNW, and some things WNW does better than Tamiya. Tamiya has cocked-up at least one thing in every one of their 1/32 kits. WNW have cocked-up at least one thing in every one of their kits.

Arguing over which manufacturer is better is an entirely pointless exercise. Instead we should just be thankful that we have two very-high quality manufacturers producing 1/32 aircraft kits - after all, we might have neither and be left with the questionable talents of Trumpeter as the sole mainstream 1/32 aircraft kit manufacturer.

On 6/26/2019 at 6:36 PM, vince14 said:

Yep, Airfix did it before WNW and IIRC it wasn’t too bad. I have a feeling some else tried it before Airfix, but I can’t for the life of me remember who.

Kinetic Sabre?

Have to agree with what Vince has said.

I don’t think the WNW Lanc. will lead to every kit company oil canning every metal skinned a/c in every scale. But for premium kits I image they will be looking hard at this. You’d have to be a fly on the wall at one of their meetings to know what the future holds...

No doubt it’s release will launch many informative, entertaining and hopefully not too nitpicking threads...

Edited by Pup7309

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder as they continue to flesh out the link page are they getting closer to releasing....perhaps at the nationals? :)

While reviewing the link, I noted the cost estimation, has this been there the whole time?

On 6/27/2019 at 2:35 AM, vince14 said:

I do think that there's also a 'Cult of Tamiya' going on, too. Members are seen to visibly twitch and reach for their keyboards the instant someone says that WNW are better than Tamiya! The truth is this - Tamiya and WNW are currently the best two companies when it comes to 1/32 aircraft kit manufacturers.

Now, some things Tamiya does better than WNW, and some things WNW does better than Tamiya. Tamiya has cocked-up at least one thing in every one of their 1/32 kits. WNW have cocked-up at least one thing in every one of their kits.

Arguing over which manufacturer is better is an entirely pointless exercise. Instead we should just be thankful that we have two very-high quality manufacturers producing 1/32 aircraft kits - after all, we might have neither and be left with the questionable talents of Trumpeter as the sole mainstream 1/32 aircraft kit manufacturer.

The day a model company makes a perfect kit will be one day after every rivet counter on the planet simultaneously has a stroke.  I was reading a discussion about a 2mm error on a 1/48 kits length in one of the forums.  The discussions of accuracy become a bit much but I do believe they drive the market to better quality as the manufacturers do become aware of these things.

I agree that I think (and its already very evident) that the oil-canning is very polarizing.   As was mentioned above, some will love it, and it will be one of the soul reasons they buy the kit, and others will despise it, and will not buy the kit specifically because of it. 

Me, Im somewhere in the middle, but fortunately that middle doesn't include a die hard love or passion for the Lanc, so either way, I will save some coin by not getting either, having nothing to do with the stressed skin effects. 

I do have to say though, looking through WnWs own picture references from the links above,  I indeed do see some stressed skin effects here and there, but nothing to the extent or uniformity that has been portrayed on the model

AvRo%20Lancaster%20B.Mk.1%20R5729%2044%2

http://www.wingnutwings.com/ww/vEF754EA7/www/products/model_kitsets/32043/archive_photos/Avro%20Lancaster%20B.Mk.III%20ED664%20460%20Squadron%20AR-A2%20'Aussie'%20with%2037%20'hops'%201943%20(ww2images.com%20A04293w).jpg

AvRo%20Lancaster%20B.Mk.1%20R5666%2044%2

AvRo%20Lancaster%20B.Mk.1%20R5868%20467%

Obviously this is just a matter of taste, and will continue to be a source of contention and discussion until the cows come home...............or at least until the actual model gets here and we have a chance to look at the plastic in hand, and to see what it all will look like under paint.