WINGNUT WINGS LANCASTER!!!!!!!!!

seiran01

6 hours ago, Radub said:

Right now I am writing from Dubrovnik. From my hotel balcony I can see three large cruise ships moored in the harbour. There is a brand new airport nearby that appears to be very busy.  Coaches keep arriving around the clock. The city looks like a stadium just opened its gates after the cup final. There are thousands and thousands of people arriving here every day, most of them drawn by two major shows: Game of Thrones and Star Wars. All shops are full of anything you can think of with GOT and SW emblazoned on it. Some of this stuff is cheap tat, other stuff is eye-wateringly expensive. All sells. In a sea of people shouting "shut up and take my money" the one saying "I won't buy it because some detail is off" is the strange weirdo. Where am I going with this? When the Dambusters movie will be released, this kit will be purchased by the shipload by collectors, fans, and, last on the list, maybe, modellers. WNW has nothing to worry about. You won't buy it? Fine! Please step aside to make room for the thousands who will. 

Radu

Someday, when this model eventually sells out, I shutter to think about what the prices will be on the collector's circuit.  We complain about "Harry Tate's" and Hansa Brandenburg W.29 kits going for north of $200.00 and $300.00, what about a model that will likely be retailing for $400.00-$450.00?  If you intend to buy, do it now and not later.

5 hours ago, vince14 said:

That's why I'm buying two!

Same here. I'd rather take a small early hit than try to play catch up and suck up a bigger hit down the road. I buy 'em to build them- otherwise I could've retired early a few years ago when the WnW OOP fokker and Albie ebay feeding frenzie was at it's peak. 

As for the comments about not many people buying it because Its too expensive? Based off my 'years in the biz' Radub nailed it,  there are plenty of people who can afford it and those folks generally don't hang around on forums much. If they want it, they will get it. I think the Lancs will probably go fast since they aren't nearly as obscure as most WWI AC . 

Edited by The Dude

23 hours ago, Radub said:

Right now I am writing from Dubrovnik. From my hotel balcony I can see three large cruise ships moored in the harbour. There is a brand new airport nearby that appears to be very busy.  Coaches keep arriving around the clock. The city looks like a stadium just opened its gates after the cup final. There are thousands and thousands of people arriving here every day, most of them drawn by two major shows: Game of Thrones and Star Wars. All shops are full of anything you can think of with GOT and SW emblazoned on it. Some of this stuff is cheap tat, other stuff is eye-wateringly expensive. All sells. In a sea of people shouting "shut up and take my money" the one saying "I won't buy it because some detail is off" is the strange weirdo. Where am I going with this? When the Dambusters movie will be released, this kit will be purchased by the shipload by collectors, fans, and, last on the list, maybe, modellers. WNW has nothing to worry about. You won't buy it? Fine! Please step aside to make room for the thousands who will. 

Radu

:coolio:. They can produce only 2 versions. No duellist pack. How soon it sells out depends on demand vs. how many units they crank out and sell before the molds get moth-balled.

Enjoy the sun and souvenirs!

Edited by Pup7309

14 minutes ago, Pup7309 said:

:coolio:. They can produce only 2 versions. No duellist pack. How soon it sells out depends on demand vs. how many units they crank out and sell before the molds get moth-balled.

Enjoy the sun and souvenirs!

Actually, in as far as I understand from my chats with Richard Alexander, they also plan to release a "cockpit section only" kit. This may be a limited edition.

Radu

On 6/20/2019 at 10:17 PM, DeanKB said:

You think it'll be the Dreadnought of large scale model aeroplanes? I somehow doubt it, but time will tell, as it may be a polarising look.

WNW's have, so far, only modelled WWI aircraft. There is a very, very limited amount of literature against which to compare accuracy - very few videos, no colour photos, few black & white photos, nobody alive to pass their accurate records on. That's the world WNW work in. In many cases, they own most of the resources, like photos & actual aircraft!

That is not comparable to modelling aircraft from later periods, especially WWII onwards. Film archives, B&W and colour photography and witness statements are all readily available. A quick Google brings up reams and reams of resources & Johnny Expert is online, slamming the latest model for the wrong tyre pattern. Manufacturers are exposed if they get something wrong, in a way WNW simply are not.

The point is, how can you claim "WNW's historical accuracy & detail are light years ahead of any other manufacturer"? Tamiya seem pretty much on the money to me, whilst even if WNW were wrong, there is very little literature to prove so. It's simply not a valid comparison. For instance, WNW don't provide any turnbuckles - can you imagine Tamiya being allowed to get away with not providing such an integral part of a kit? WNW decals are very delicate, some disintegrating under decal solution. Engines come without spark plugs & miss out plumbing. Cowlings are far too scale thick. Lozenge decals don't look convincing. I don't consider that light years ahead of Tamiya?

I agree with some of your reservations about WNW kits - thick cowlings, missing engine details etc etc - For my part the radiator scoop on the Junkers J1 needs a lot of work, in fact the first 4 kits are are obviously first efforts and latest efforts show great advances.

But Tamiya do not represent overlapping fuselage panels - example on the 1/32 Spitfire Mk IXc - or dome rivets, in fact the rivets are just textureless smooth plastic in a dot. Worst of all their rib tape detail  on rudder, elevators and ailerons is really clumsy and bears no relation to a Spitfire's tape, whereas WNW have their rib tape  beautifully moulded in their kits, and that is one detail amongst many that stands out  with WNW not only for the research but for accurate representation that no other manufacturer can get close to - including Tamiya. Now I understand that some people want just to build an oob kit and paint it and therefore the engineering that Tamiya kits exhibit makes then easy to build and attractive for that reason. To my mind, correct panel detail and accurate looking rib tape detail are off the planet more important than just having a nicely engineered kit. A Tamiya Spitfire Mk IXc needs a huge amount of work in my view and that is why I have no doubt that WNW's Lancs will be a new Dreadnought, and modellers will look back at their smooth featureless Tamiya's and think.... that looks from a different age, aka raised panel lines.

I  am not looking forward to seeing this "very nice" kit with all that oil canning.  I still don't know if I am going to like it or if I would just prefer the smooth surface, ala, the HK models version.  I wonder how expensive would it be to produce two sets of surface parts, one with oil canning and one without?  Probably make the kit cost astronomical.

26 minutes ago, esarmstrong said:

I  am not looking forward to seeing this "very nice" kit with all that oil canning.  I still don't know if I am going to like it or if I would just prefer the smooth surface, ala, the HK models version.  I wonder how expensive would it be to produce two sets of surface parts, one with oil canning and one without?  Probably make the kit cost astronomical.

I don't know why on earth you would write or think like this? - if you want it "smooth" why not just content yourself with the HK kit and simply ignore WNW's, in my view fantastic efforts? With HK you have the option of a Mkl and a Chastise Lanc. Sorted. No more worries and the kits are out now so you can build one now......

4 hours ago, 19squadron said:

I agree with some of your reservations about WNW kits - thick cowlings, missing engine details etc etc - For my part the radiator scoop on the Junkers J1 needs a lot of work, in fact the first 4 kits are are obviously first efforts and latest efforts show great advances.

But Tamiya do not represent overlapping fuselage panels - example on the 1/32 Spitfire Mk IXc - or dome rivets, in fact the rivets are just textureless smooth plastic in a dot. Worst of all their rib tape detail  on rudder, elevators and ailerons is really clumsy and bears no relation to a Spitfire's tape, whereas WNW have their rib tape  beautifully moulded in their kits, and that is one detail amongst many that stands out  with WNW not only for the research but for accurate representation that no other manufacturer can get close to - including Tamiya. Now I understand that some people want just to build an oob kit and paint it and therefore the engineering that Tamiya kits exhibit makes then easy to build and attractive for that reason. To my mind, correct panel detail and accurate looking rib tape detail are off the planet more important than just having a nicely engineered kit. A Tamiya Spitfire Mk IXc needs a huge amount of work in my view and that is why I have no doubt that WNW's Lancs will be a new Dreadnought, and modellers will look back at their smooth featureless Tamiya's and think.... that looks from a different age, aka raised panel lines.

You seem to have very particular demands of a model aeroplane kit.

I'm going to buy a couple of the front section only kits when they eventually come out and be very happy with them, Oil canning or not. I like big models, I like Lancasters but I have no room for a whole one, let alone the 2 or 3 I'd like to do. One being a nice Coastal Command White camo version. I'll be buying the WNW version because thats what will be available. 

2 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

Huh??  I don't get the point of your post.  

Are we not permitted to simply muse about our thoughts on the kits?  Who are you to ask someone else why they should have an opinion they have?  I'm not really looking forward to the oil canning either.  From the photos I've seen so far, I don't really like it.  Maybe if I see it in person I'll change my mind.  

I love it, and I think it is an enormous step forward in this field of model aircraft kits, and personally have no doubt it will be seen as such when the kits are out

- the point is I don't lament the smooth, to my mind, inauthentic surface of the HK kit on a thread devoted to the WNW kit, - had people not expressed reservations about WNW's stressed skin, t would never have occurred to me to comment on the HK effort.

3 minutes ago, 19squadron said:

the point is I don't lament the smooth, to my mind, inauthentic surface of the HK kit on a thread devoted to the WNW kit

Bit like when people continually bang on about the WNW kit on EVERY HK thread regarding the Lancaster?