WINGNUT WINGS LANCASTER!!!!!!!!!

seiran01

1 hour ago, 19squadron said:

- But then if you do not like this stressed skin effect, you can just....buy the HK kit

Personally, I think the appearance is exactly right and gives the surface quality of the model the ideal surface to paint a weathered real aircraft like look. I'll go so far that I believe this kit is so far ahead in terms of accuracy and real aircraft character that  once it is out, will make all existing kits including those by Tamiya in 1/32 look as old hat as kits with raised panel lines did when the first recessed line kits came out ,and that other manufacturers will have to scramble to catch up. All are lucky to have WNW, the attention to historical accuracy and detail are simply light years ahead of any other manufacturer, including Tamiya.

You think it'll be the Dreadnought of large scale model aeroplanes? I somehow doubt it, but time will tell, as it may be a polarising look.

WNW's have, so far, only modelled WWI aircraft. There is a very, very limited amount of literature against which to compare accuracy - very few videos, no colour photos, few black & white photos, nobody alive to pass their accurate records on. That's the world WNW work in. In many cases, they own most of the resources, like photos & actual aircraft!

That is not comparable to modelling aircraft from later periods, especially WWII onwards. Film archives, B&W and colour photography and witness statements are all readily available. A quick Google brings up reams and reams of resources & Johnny Expert is online, slamming the latest model for the wrong tyre pattern. Manufacturers are exposed if they get something wrong, in a way WNW simply are not.

The point is, how can you claim "WNW's historical accuracy & detail are light years ahead of any other manufacturer"? Tamiya seem pretty much on the money to me, whilst even if WNW were wrong, there is very little literature to prove so. It's simply not a valid comparison. For instance, WNW don't provide any turnbuckles - can you imagine Tamiya being allowed to get away with not providing such an integral part of a kit? WNW decals are very delicate, some disintegrating under decal solution. Engines come without spark plugs & miss out plumbing. Cowlings are far too scale thick. Lozenge decals don't look convincing. I don't consider that light years ahead of Tamiya?

Dean, you are entitled to your opinions, but frankly I couldn't disagree more with your comments about WNW.

First, there is a WEALTH of information available for which to compare the accuracy of their kits. Have you actually taken the time to look? Obviously not. The reason their WW1 models haven't had such criticism is because they are beyond reproach.

Second, I personally place WNW on a par with Tamiya - engineering and detail. Which is why I say in my earlier comments re: the Lanc, lets wait and see. The main thing putting me off is the amount of time a pedant like me will take to build it.

PR

27 minutes ago, Pete Roberts said:

Dean, you are entitled to your opinions, but frankly I couldn't disagree more with your comments about WNW.

First, there is a WEALTH of information available for which to compare the accuracy of their kits. Have you actually taken the time to look? Obviously not. The reason their WW1 models haven't had such criticism is because they are beyond reproach.

Second, I personally place WNW on a par with Tamiya - engineering and detail. Which is why I say in my earlier comments re: the Lanc, lets wait and see. The main thing putting me off is the amount of time a pedant like me will take to build it.

PR

I'll have to check my stash, but I may have one or two WNW kits, as I hold them in very high regard. They and Tamiya lead the way - I agree with you.

But, WNW kits are not without fault. And I was disagreeing with the opinion that WNW kits are "light years ahead of Tamiya". They simply are not.

I actually have a very large WWI library, but the point is that the available literature is far more limited than WWII, for instance. Some aircraft have only a handful of photos in existence - non colour - no walk-arounds, dodgy 3 point views, very few period museum pieces to measure & absolutely nobody alive to remember. Others have no definitive plans, no photos of cockpits, or photos showing a lack of consistency, etc. The publications that do exist tend to replicate the same photos.

Saying WNW kits have no criticism compared to WWII kits because they are "beyond reproach" ignores the reality of the resources available against which to compare that accuracy, compared to later periods. The kits are bloody good, but no kit is beyond reproach.

Are you saying the literature on WWI warplanes is as rich, varied, timely, colourful, available and documented as WWII warplanes? 

I reckon WNW will regret kitting the Lanc. From now on all they'll get is bombarded by people telling them that they're utter, utter idiots and total amateurs because the diameter of the screws on the compass housing is out by a millionth of an inch, and therefore the kit is completely unbuildable (all whilst conveniently ignoring the various issues that crop up in, say, a Tamiya kit).

Should've stuck with WWI. As we all know, the only surviving record of any WWI aircraft is Snoopy's Dog House so they could have carried on flogging kits of fictional aircraft like the Gotha UWD, and no-one would be any the wiser.

Edited by vince14

Truly no kit is perfect.  I have a lot of worthless WNW lozenge.  And I have posted an entire thread about their hideous Albatros D.Va spinner. 

But they still make great kits even if some things are wrong.  And they may draw less criticism due to the fact that their only competitors build models that many hold in the same regard as soiled nappies.

And while we Ooh and Ahh over build logs and wood grain, nobody is giving WNW the same scrutiny that Eduard's oversized BF109G6 in 1/48 scale of yesteryear got.

We are fortunate to have WNW.  But beyond reproach?  Gimme a break!

Right now I am writing from Dubrovnik. From my hotel balcony I can see three large cruise ships moored in the harbour. There is a brand new airport nearby that appears to be very busy.  Coaches keep arriving around the clock. The city looks like a stadium just opened its gates after the cup final. There are thousands and thousands of people arriving here every day, most of them drawn by two major shows: Game of Thrones and Star Wars. All shops are full of anything you can think of with GOT and SW emblazoned on it. Some of this stuff is cheap tat, other stuff is eye-wateringly expensive. All sells. In a sea of people shouting "shut up and take my money" the one saying "I won't buy it because some detail is off" is the strange weirdo. Where am I going with this? When the Dambusters movie will be released, this kit will be purchased by the shipload by collectors, fans, and, last on the list, maybe, modellers. WNW has nothing to worry about. You won't buy it? Fine! Please step aside to make room for the thousands who will. 

Radu

Edited by Radub

55 minutes ago, Radub said:

Right now I am writing from Dubrovnik. From my hotel balcony I can see three large cruise ships moored in the harbour. There is a brand new airport nearby that appears to be very busy.  Coaches keep arriving around the clock. The city looks like a stadium just opened its gates after the cup final. There are thousands and thousands of people arriving here every day, most of them drawn by two major shows: Game of Thrones and Star Wars. All shops are full of anything you can think of with GOT and SW emblazoned on it. Some of this stuff is cheap tat, other stuff is eye-wateringly expensive. All sells. In a sea of people shouting "shut up and take my money" the one saying "I won't buy it because some detail is off" is the strange weirdo. Where am I going with this? When the Dambusters movie will be released, this kit will be purchased by the shipload by collectors, fans, and, last on the list, maybe, modellers. WNW has nothing to worry about. You won't buy it? Fine! Please step aside to make room for the thousands who will. 

Radu

Not sure anybody is claiming it won't sell, just that they won't buy it.

On 6/13/2019 at 2:42 PM, Out2gtcha said:

Im probably the last person on earth who should be talking about what a Lanc looks like, but to me from all the real aircraft Ive seen IRL during my lifetime (including two Lancs) dont really line up with what WnW is displaying. 

And remember, you are now looking at airframes that are 70 years old!!! I expect I will look a bit creased and baggy when I am that old, especially considering all the sresses and strains I have been suffering recently!!

2 hours ago, wunwinglow said:

And remember, you are now looking at airframes that are 70 years old!!! I expect I will look a bit creased and baggy when I am that old, especially considering all the sresses and strains I have been suffering recently!!

"When"?

15 hours ago, Gazzas said:

nobody is giving WNW the same scrutiny that Eduard's oversized BF109G6 in 1/48 scale of yesteryear got.

Ha ha that still makes me laugh, and the bs excuses they tried to make to squirm out of it.

Given the position they hold in the market (and in their own estimation lol), and the Grail-like nature of the subject matter, that was the biggest f*ck up I’ve known in modelling since I returned to the hobby in 2001.

Remind me never to ask Vlad and his gang to measure up for any of my (house) building projects!

:rofl: