WINGNUT WINGS LANCASTER!!!!!!!!!

seiran01

25 minutes ago, MikeMaben said:

Just throwing out an idea for the WNW fanatics. I'ts too huge for me.

If I did have one , I wouldn't sand the entire surface, just areas that looked

too heavy. Since the rivets and panel lines would be lower than the surface

of the canning, I think one could 'lower the hills closer to the valleys' without

losing any detail.

Sounds like you're a better modeller than I am...

8 hours ago, STWilliams said:

He couldn't care less. Wingnut Wings produce basically whatever he fancies building at home one rainy evening. He fancies a Lancaster in 1/32, and he's getting himself a Lancaster in 1/32. I get the feeling that if he wanted to build a 1/4 size scale model of a seagull, he'd just go ahead and get an injected plastic 1/4 scale model of a seagull produced. Then we'd have different breeds of seagulls, different colourings of seagulls, baby seagulls,  boxed squabbles of seagulls, etc. They'd be the best 1/4 scale seagulls anywhere, as long as you didn't want an American, Italian, Austro-Hungarian or French seagull, because you can bet your bottom dollar Mr Jackson would like Anglo-German seagulls. But he'd ignore the most famous German seagull, despite consumers queueing around the world for one, because he's funny like that. But he'd produce a few obscure German seagulls, and multiple British seagulls, even though their all the same dull colour.

Brilliant!

9 hours ago, chrish said:

That reminds me...

Question; What?! Is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?

Reply; What do you mean? A European or African swallow!?

All the bird nonsense reminded me...who here remembers that line and from what movie?

The movie was Monty Python and the Holy Grail, when King Arthur was questioned on where his squire's horse hooves impersonating coconut shells came from

9 minutes ago, Chek said:

The movie was Monty Python and the Holy Grail, when King Arthur was questioned on where his squire's horse hooves impersonating coconut shells came from

Nerd mode: Actually you have your scenes mixed up, you're referring to the swallow scene* at the beginning of the movie. Chrish's quote is from the end of the movie when Arthur was asked five...sorry three questions by the old man from scene 24 who also happens to be the keeper of the Bridge of Death, which dangles above the Gorge of Eternal Peril /nerd mode. 

Do I get a cookie? :piliot:

*get your mind out of the gutter! 

14 hours ago, STWilliams said:

He couldn't care less. Wingnut Wings produce basically whatever he fancies building at home one rainy evening. He fancies a Lancaster in 1/32, and he's getting himself a Lancaster in 1/32. I get the feeling that if he wanted to build a 1/4 size scale model of a seagull, he'd just go ahead and get an injected plastic 1/4 scale model of a seagull produced. Then we'd have different breeds of seagulls, different colourings of seagulls, baby seagulls,  boxed squabbles of seagulls, etc. They'd be the best 1/4 scale seagulls anywhere, as long as you didn't want an American, Italian, Austro-Hungarian or French seagull, because you can bet your bottom dollar Mr Jackson would like Anglo-German seagulls. But he'd ignore the most famous German seagull, despite consumers queueing around the world for one, because he's funny like that. But he'd produce a few obscure German seagulls, and multiple British seagulls, even though their all the same dull colour.

Very clever!:clap2:

Edited by Pup7309

3 hours ago, EvilCarrot said:

Nerd mode: Actually you have your scenes mixed up, you're referring to the swallow scene* at the beginning of the movie. Chrish's quote is from the end of the movie when Arthur was asked five...sorry three questions by the old man from scene 24 who also happens to be the keeper of the Bridge of Death, which dangles above the Gorge of Eternal Peril /nerd mode. 

You get the cookie!

18 hours ago, EvilCarrot said:

Correct. My original answer shows what happens when you rely on memory for retrieving details of something last seen decades ago.

(Are you suggesting coconuts are migratory? - classic! Though actually, they are - sort of, in a sense)

But it did give me an excuse to dig out the movie and re-watch it, so thanks for that.

Edited by Chek

On 6/14/2019 at 3:44 PM, Out2gtcha said:

I have to say, this is likely the first foray for WnW into the world of getting critiqued by modelers. Prior to the Lanc release, all of Sir Peters releases were near impossible to critique, as no current examples are in existence, save very few, and no one alive really possesses the knowledge to say whether or not any model or any one part of a model is actually accurate or not.  

That’s a very valid point.

It will be interesting to see what they say and do, if anything; the model certainly looks finished to my eye and won’t be changed.

Let’s hope they are a bit more mature about it than Eduard, who picked up their ball, refused to play anymore and just ran away, never to be seen again.

I don't think the "oil canning" is exaggerated. I saw the plastic parts at two different shows and the effect is actually quite subtle. Maybe it is just the lighting that makes it look too pronounced.

Radu

A quick Google reveals plenty of that effect, anyway.

800px-Lancaster_pa474_nose_guns_at_kembl

attachment.aspx

https://pin.it/yucshwapn4hgjz

https://pin.it/ufprh6ejnqm3x4

I think that WnW haven't had such critiquing over their WWI stuff to date because it is so good, and seems to be pretty much above reproach. 

The difference here is that we have a controversial area of their kit that is raising differences of opinion - this hasn't been the case in their previous issues that I am aware of because they handled the subject(s) so well.

I personally tend to agree with other comments here. The asking price for the Lanc will be hefty so I want it to look right. I am not sure I like the overall, consistent stressed effect. A bit like a uniform paint finish. And the effort of trying to alter that, after shelling out big money, and risking damaging the kit, is a bit of a put off for me. However, I am happy to wait and see it in the flesh, so to speak. Hard to believe that a company renowned for its accuracy could stuff up something like this. so maybe give them the benefit of the doubt? (I like Radu's post above)

With regards other WW2 subjects, don't hold your breath. After pestering WnW (well, asking) for a decent Spitfire I was politely told there would only be WWI subjects explored, following the Lanc, as there are still too many subjects to do. And given the Lanc has apparently been 4 years in the making ....

PR

Edited by Pete Roberts

5 hours ago, timvkampen said:

I don't care. I am just going for one I think. It looks really amazing from these test shots already

Agreed, I think this kit will be fantastic.  For those that don’t like the WNW approach to surface details, they can opt for the cheaper HK kit with it’s completely smooth surfaces.  

Everyone wins here!   

On 6/19/2019 at 1:12 AM, John1 said:

Agreed, I think this kit will be fantastic.  For those that don’t like the WNW approach to surface details, they can opt for the cheaper HK kit with it’s completely smooth surfaces.  

Everyone wins here!   

I’m happy for you Lancaster fans. Just wish PJ had a thing for B24 Libs and we had the same choice...

On 6/16/2019 at 11:31 PM, Pete Roberts said:

I think that WnW haven't had such critiquing over their WWI stuff to date because it is so good, and seems to be pretty much above reproach. 

The difference here is that we have a controversial area of their kit that is raising differences of opinion - this hasn't been the case in their previous issues that I am aware of because they handled the subject(s) so well.

I personally tend to agree with other comments here. The asking price for the Lanc will be hefty so I want it to look right. I am not sure I like the overall, consistent stressed effect. A bit like a uniform paint finish. And the effort of trying to alter that, after shelling out big money, and risking damaging the kit, is a bit of a put off for me. However, I am happy to wait and see it in the flesh, so to speak. Hard to believe that a company renowned for its accuracy could stuff up something like this. so maybe give them the benefit of the doubt? (I like Radu's post above)

With regards other WW2 subjects, don't hold your breath. After pestering WnW (well, asking) for a decent Spitfire I was politely told there would only be WWI subjects explored, following the Lanc, as there are still too many subjects to do. And given the Lanc has apparently been 4 years in the making ....

PR

- But then if you do not like this stressed skin effect, you can just....buy the HK kit

Personally, I think the appearance is exactly right and gives the surface quality of the model the ideal surface to paint a weathered real aircraft like look. I'll go so far that I believe this kit is so far ahead in terms of accuracy and real aircraft character that  once it is out, will make all existing kits including those by Tamiya in 1/32 look as old hat as kits with raised panel lines did when the first recessed line kits came out ,and that other manufacturers will have to scramble to catch up. All are lucky to have WNW, the attention to historical accuracy and detail are simply light years ahead of any other manufacturer, including Tamiya.