WINGNUT WINGS LANCASTER!!!!!!!!!

seiran01

Preliminary info up on WNW site - looks like Merlin (Mk I) AND Packard  (Mk III) engines will be in the kit. With dummies, does that make 16 engines?????  

Or maybe 12, with generic dummies????  :unsure:

PR

Edited by Pete Roberts

Oh my....  I know it's still a work in progress but this kit looks amazing (and at this preliminary stage, superior to HK's, at least in terms of detail).  I am still a bit undecided on the "oil can" effect.   It might be a bit too pronounced (regardless, it's still much better than nothing at all, as HK opted to do).   I have to wonder if part of the issue is with the renders and pics themselves?   I think once covered with a coating of flat paint, it might tone down the effect significantly.  BTW - for those that argue that the "oil can" effect only appeared after the aircraft was in service for a while, check out some of WNW's reference photos of Lancs at the factory.  It's already present.

Can't wait to see the instruction manual for this beast. 

On a side note, looking at the pics WNW posted of the wreckage of AJ-M.  Saw "Officer Entrance Only" written in chalk near the aft crew entry door.   Fascinating touch, wonder if WNW will include that decal?

Edited by John1

Looking at the pictures on their website the other day thinking, if...If, I ever buy this thing and build it, it’s going to be unpainted and a cut away fuselage. 

2 hours ago, chrish said:

Looking at the pictures on their website the other day thinking, if...If, I ever buy this thing and build it, it’s going to be unpainted and a cut away fuselage. 

Cut away I can see - but by unpainted I assume you mean metal coloured, rather than plastic grey?

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, dodgem37 said:

Stressed skin.

Im probably the last person on earth who should be talking about what a Lanc looks like, but to me from all the real aircraft Ive seen IRL during my lifetime (including two Lancs) dont really line up with what WnW is displaying. 

What I mean, is WnWs portrayal of stressed skin seems to be a bit too uniform to my eye. The B-52s and Lancs up close I've seen do in fact have stressed skin in a lot of areas, but not all areas across the airframe.    The stressed skin effect seems to only occur in specific areas, and not at all in others. However unless I'm seeing something that isn't there, it feels like WnW put the stressed skin effect everywhere across the entire airframe on virtually every outer surface.   

To my eye this gives not so much a stressed skin effect, but more of a quilting effect one may see on fabric or material.     Just an observation, and I may retract it all if/when I see the sprues in person, but this is just the impression I get off pics. 

I can see four main issues with this kit. 

Price - well, it is a HUGE undertaking; the kit is very large, will have a huge number of parts, extensive detailing, and is the result of years of development, so a high cost is inevitable. You can either afford it or you can't, or are willing to go into hock to buy it :) 

Size - where do you put it when its built? Maybe move the car out of the garage .....

Stressed skin effect - Appropriate for a newly built plane? Photos suggest so, but applicable to the entire plane? Is it over done, in coverage and effect? Think we'll have to wait until the finished kit is available for closer examination, and then I'm sure  there will be plenty of opinions, so personal taste  will likely come into effect here. Is it applicable to the dambuster version? Aside from some stressed skin being present on newly built planes, these aircraft were subject to at least some stress in pre-operational training, so I personally think it maybe not be outside the realms of possibility.

Time - not likely to be a quick build for most of us (ok, a bit presumptive here). I look at my stash and wonder, if I am ok with the above, when do I get to build it, and what gets pushed back?

I am not sure this is a MUST have for me, but it is on my radar, if for no other reason than the pure challenge. Wonder if I can move the wifes car out on to the street....

PR

Edited by Pete Roberts

I am really not a fan of the oil canning on this.  I've seen several Lancs during my travels and those of us that live in Calgary have access to two.  There is definitely some oil cannning on them but not to that extent. Here are some pics I took of the Nanton Lanc.

ePSWplh.jpg

enDTAgq.jpg

GrQKfYD.jpg

JttS1Jn.jpg

L7f9es7.jpg