WINGNUT WINGS LANCASTER!!!!!!!!!

seiran01

Following someone who's building the HK kit and there seems to be a lot of fit issues and scribing line up especially on the wings, not to mention detail that hasn't been added that ought to be there in 1/32 scale, anyone built one, as the HK price for issues like this seems very high

If the problems are right about the HK kit I would think a lot of people will wait it out for the WNW kit even if it is more expensive, at least you know by their previous kits the detail and fit will be guaranteed

2 hours ago, Colin said:

Following someone who's building the HK kit and there seems to be a lot of fit issues and scribing line up especially on the wings, not to mention detail that hasn't been added that ought to be there in 1/32 scale, anyone built one, as the HK price for issues like this seems very high

If the problems are right about the HK kit I would think a lot of people will wait it out for the WNW kit even if it is more expensive, at least you know by their previous kits the detail and fit will be guaranteed

I built a test shot and had no issue with fit....even the plug-in wings.

Im not sure how the Lanc wings attach, but if the connection is like their B-25, I must say, I wish all wing systems were like that.  The fit was exceptionally positive, and even though I glued mine on, it would not take much to make the wings fully removable.   I just found that the wings on my B-25 were just a hair too tight to reliably remove them withtout damage to the model.

That would have been easily fixed with some slight sanding of specific spots. 

Watch Nigel's build on YouTube.  He points out the good and bad.  I would gladly pay another $100 to bypass the issues he has pointed out.   Some of HK's kits are really nice.  Don't get me wrong but they are a starting point.  

2 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

Im not sure how the Lanc wings attach, but if the connection is like their B-25, I must say, I wish all wing systems were like that.  The fit was exceptionally positive, and even though I glued mine on, it would not take much to make the wings fully removable.   I just found that the wings on my B-25 were just a hair too tight to reliably remove them withtout damage to the model.

That would have been easily fixed with some slight sanding of specific spots. 

The wing attachment on HKM's Lancaster is the same as on their B-25, Brian.

4 hours ago, Cees Broere said:

Hi Colin,

What fit issues are there and what detail hasn't been added?Just being curious.

Cees

2 hours ago, nichenson said:

Watch Nigel's build on YouTube.  He points out the good and bad.  I would gladly pay another $100 to bypass the issues he has pointed out.   Some of HK's kits are really nice.  Don't get me wrong but they are a starting point.  

The very same person.

On 5/20/2019 at 3:06 AM, MikeMaben said:

You're not keeping track are you ???

YDjqQq2.jpg

Hi,

No I don't, just a general assessment based on being able to count neutral or positive threads on one hand.  I don't get much of a chance to look at the site any more and new products threads interest me...or at least used to but they are such downers that I don't even bother.  I guess because I have friends here and am a sponsor I care about what takes place.   

Unfortunately,   this behavior is a symptom of the whole hobby, not just here.  I see many, many modelers at the shows and most are very turned off by the negativity and don't even visit sites any longer outside of the build and show threads.

Edited by ghatherly

26 minutes ago, ghatherly said:

Hi,

No I don't, just a general assessment based on being able to count neutral or positive threads on on hand.  I don't get much of a chance to look at the site any more and new products threads interest me...or at least used to but they re such downers that I don't even bother.  I guess because I have friends here and am a sponsor I care about what takes place.   

Unfortunately,   this behavior is a symptom of the whole hobby, not just here.  I see many, many modelers at the shows and most are very turned off by the negativity and don't even visit sites any longer outside oft he build and show threads.

https://me.me/i/the-rent-is-too-damn-high-made-on-imgur-as-18482069

1 hour ago, ghatherly said:

Hi,

No I don't, just a general assessment based on being able to count neutral or positive threads on on hand.  I don't get much of a chance to look at the site any more and new products threads interest me...or at least used to but they re such downers that I don't even bother.  I guess because I have friends here and am a sponsor I care about what takes place.   

Unfortunately,   this behavior is a symptom of the whole hobby, not just here.  I see many, many modelers at the shows and most are very turned off by the negativity and don't even visit sites any longer outside oft he build and show threads.

what negativity are you referring to?

On 5/19/2019 at 12:35 PM, DeanKB said:

I have been told that, to keep costs down, there will only be a single Merlin engine in the WNW kit.

Is this right? I'd be staggered that a £400-£500 kit would be missing 3 engines?!

I would doubt this.  There are four engines on the HK Lancaster, which is similarly priced to this one.  Additionally, if you look at the WNW website you will see in the description of the kit the following verbatim language: "Optional dummy engine blocks so you don’t need to assemble complete engines to build model."

Seems to me the reasonable inference is that if there are optional dummy engine blocks (plural) then there are engines (plural).  Plus, if you look at the video of the test-shot built kit in this thread above, you will see two (2) extra RR Merlin engines laying on the table next to the kit.

Edited by esarmstrong

On 5/20/2019 at 4:01 PM, cib2265 said:

On the engine note, one of the greater outcomes of this release is that WnW will have the Merlin sprues available, therefore you can build WW2's greatest engine as a standalone kit....

Would make a cool display along side many different kits.

Yep I can see a lot more Tamiya Spitfires and Mustangs being built as you can skip most of the complicated Merlin construction and get the panels closed up, but still have the engine on display next to it (or under it in my case, being wheels up!) using parts within the Tamiya kit to modify to the correct configuration.

IIRC building a bones only engine for the Tamiya kit requires only the block and cylinder mounts, and maybe the supercharger? Been awhile since I did that on my Spitfire VIII. 

On 5/20/2019 at 3:05 AM, DeanKB said:

I never realised I was an internet Commando.

Sounds like a really interesting title ... I wonder how that differs from a Sniper or a regular grunt in internet terms??

I'd take it as a compliment and run with it ... whack up a new avatar ... maybe a winged dagger overlaid on an old school monitor/keyboard combo?

the motto ... "By Mouse, By Keyboard" seems apt.

Rog :)