WINGNUT WINGS LANCASTER!!!!!!!!!

seiran01

I personally think both the HK and WNW kits will sell out faster than we think, did not the HK B-25's (glass nose nose) sell out and first edition of the B-17, not sure about their Mosquito? Tamiya gave them some stiff competition there, even though different varients.

Also RE Pricing, cant be comparing profit margins and traditional production sprue costs ETC when we talk about WnW, this is Sir Peters passion and he can offset that somehow, he's not short of a few bob, especially for short run kits ... also I'm pretty sure the claims I've seen he wants to blow HK out of the water with his own 1/32 Lancaster's are without foundation ... has he not said for a long time he has no plans to do a WW1 Fokker Dr.1 because Roden already make a pretty good one ... the coincidence of the two Lancasters is nothing more than that, a pure accidental coincidence IMHO and not worth working up into a conspiracy :)

Having said that ... I personally believe both factory's might be revising down their production run a little after realising another factory is going to be releasing something similar too ... albeit almost a year apart, HK especially will realise many of us are going to wait a bit longer for WnW ... its all very unfortunate but purely coincidental IMHO.

They will sell out from both factory's I'm sure, but might take a little longer than before and also we might as consumers experience a bit less price gouging as a consequence?  We shall see, its not all doom and gloom and us consumers might actually benefit more because of this dual factory release ... a dual factory release that has happened many times before as has been mentioned :)

I'll have one of the WnW offerings. I don't mind waiting. I don't mind how accurate/inaccurate it is. If it looks like a lanc', that's good enough for me. I really like the detail in their other kits, and can only imagine that detail on something the size of the lanc' is gonna be awesome. Cost is irrelevant for me, I usually get 2-3 years of building pleasure out of a 1/32-1/24 kit, which is plenty good value for money in my eyes. 

10 minutes ago, Stokey Pete said:

........................ I usually get 2-3 years of building pleasure out of a 1/32-1/24 kit, which is plenty good value for money in my eyes. 

That is actually a good point that does not get brought up enough. 

To that end, most of us are very detail oriented in cases like big kits like the Lanc, Tam Mossie and such, so as long as the kit fits well together (AKA WnW, Tamiya, HKM  ect, ect) one can gain a LOT of modeling enjoyment out of a kit this large, and in the end even $400 could be considered a "good value" if you are enjoying the kit over a period of a year or two. That time frame for me, is not out of bounds with a kit this complex and large. 

I would suspect the same case with the HKM Lanc, as I have had great experiences with KHM as far as fit goes. 

I don't have that kind of patience. I have been averaging about one kit every two months since I started again. Mostly armor, as masking aircraft slows me down. 

I don't want to leave any unfinished when I die, so spending years on a kit goes against my instincts.

21 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

Not at all. I'm just assuming that they don't want to take a 7-figure loss on the project. We keep bleating on about how much money Peter Jackson has, but he won't have it for long if he's happy to blow vast amounts of it on projects like this. Wingnut Wings might not be as profit-driven as most kit manufacturers, but there's little future in operating at a continual loss, either. This is why they raised prices a couple of years ago, and canned the free worldwide shipping. You can't bleed money forever before it starts to hurt.

Kev

WNW have never said they sell kits for a loss. Quite the opposite, in fact - they've stated that each kit has to make at least a small profit.

The research has already been done for the Dambusters movie, so that offsets some of the cost of producing the kit, and they've already said they're trying to price it in the same region as the Felixstowe Dualists kit, which would put it in the $350-$400 range.

There's no chance that WNW will be taking a 'seven figure' loss on the Lanc kits. 

3 hours ago, Stokey Pete said:

I'll have one of the WnW offerings. I don't mind waiting. I don't mind how accurate/inaccurate it is. If it looks like a lanc', that's good enough for me. I really like the detail in their other kits, and can only imagine that detail on something the size of the lanc' is gonna be awesome. Cost is irrelevant for me, I usually get 2-3 years of building pleasure out of a 1/32-1/24 kit, which is plenty good value for money in my eyes. 

If you look at the images on WNW site for the Lancaster, it is clear that anyone who buys one of these is going to get to enjoy a long build.  From a time value of money standpoint this kit should be a bargain.  I don’t mean it will take everyone years to build but with the detail involved it will be a long build for most builders, relative to whatever your personal build style is.  I figure this will equate to 4 Tamiya p-51 mustangs as far as work involved.  

1 minute ago, vince14 said:

WNW have never said they sell kits for a loss. Quite the opposite, in fact - they've stated that each kit has to make at least a small profit.

The research has already been done for the Dambusters movie, so that offsets some of the cost of producing the kit, and they've already said they're trying to price it in the same region as the Felixstowe Dualists kit, which would put it in the $350-$400 range.

There's no chance that WNW will be taking a 'seven figure' loss on the Lanc kits. 

This is exactly my point, Vince. If everything reported so far is true, then there's no way Wingnut Wings will intentionally limit the production run of the Lancaster kit (this is the only point I was addressing in my original post). If they did, then the numbers no longer add up; either the kit has to cost way more than what has been stated so far, or they're prepared to take a loss on it. The 'seven figure loss' comment was hyperbole, but that could easily represent the sum total of the investment up to the point of release, and this essentially represents the stakes on the table.

Kev

18 minutes ago, LSP_Kevin said:

This is exactly my point, Vince. If everything reported so far is true, then there's no way Wingnut Wings will intentionally limit the production run of the Lancaster kit (this is the only point I was addressing in my original post). If they did, then the numbers no longer add up; either the kit has to cost way more than what has been stated so far, or they're prepared to take a loss on it. The 'seven figure loss' comment was hyperbole, but that could easily represent the sum total of the investment up to the point of release, and this essentially represents the stakes on the table.

Kev

I was trying to say the same thing, although I don’t understand the numbers involved to produce a kit, but my bet is that there will be no shortage of Lancaster’s for years.  I believe that they will sell on a regular basis below retail cost once these things are fully available.  I have reached the point of offering a bet that I will be able to buy a WNW Lancaster 15% or more below retail within 12 months of the U.S. release date.  Terms as follows, If I win you get me a WNW Richthofen Albatros, you win I will send you a WNW Sopwith Camel out of my stash.  Only one taker on this offer though.  I can’t buy 10 Lancaster’s.  

Edited by cbk57

23 hours ago, ScanmanDan said:

All manufactures are, in part, selling you the idea or dream of the finish model while actually selling the kit.

Yep , and some dreams turn into nightmares !!  :o

23 hours ago, ScanmanDan said:

So it might be time to start thinking about this 'hobby' as a collecting pass time and not just about building models. 

Definitely 2 seperate hobbies. Once you get to some number of kits in your collection,

it just becomes a matter of time. I 'might' be able to finish my stash if I sat down with

a bottle of glue and a bowl of warm water (painting would take too long) and worked

on them every day. I'd have to hang them from the ceiling of the whole house 'and' the

garage.  (hey , maybe if I skip the decals :P)

2 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

Kev

I think they will intentionally limit the production run, though - they'll produce enough to make their aimed profit point and then it'll go OOP, just like every other WNW kit. The only questions are how many kits do they need to produce to hit that point, and how long will it take for those kits to sell? Could be 1,000 kits, could be 100,000. Could be ten years, could be ten months - we simply don't know.

Most of the R&D costs will have been absorbed by the Dambusters film project, I suspect. That'll have an impact on how many kits they need to produce to hit profitability.

On 23 October 2018 at 11:09 PM, DeanKB said:

Interesting theory, but not really supported by classical economy models, not by WNW's pricing structure...

In my humble opinion, WNW kits hold their value better than any other mainstream manufacturer.

Which models, Marxism or Trumpism?  Hobbitism?

Seriously, I'll bet - unless ecological styrene tax wipes out the market - that most of WnW will likely be in Wallmart and Poundstretcher shelves twenty years after my death. New rubbish boxes and a short-lived website offering instructions, but the original boxings will likely fetch as much as a Robert Mitchum movie on VHS.

Tony 

On 10/23/2018 at 8:34 PM, The Dude said:

Good times for us 1/32 builders, I would have never guessed when I started building 1/32 scale back in the late 80's or early 90's that we would ever see a single 1/32 4 engine bomber let alone 3! Bring it on, my bench awaits the HK and WnW Lanc kits!

shark%202_zpsxacocoyb.png

That's not my garage, that's a scale model of the Lancaster assembly plant...