WINGNUT WINGS LANCASTER!!!!!!!!!

seiran01

On 10/10/2018 at 12:42 PM, DeanKB said:

The "quilted" effect WNW have produced is certainly jarring, being used to the more uniform finish up until now. Not sure if it will work or not - possibly, factually more accurate, but whether a painted, 1/32 Lanc will look "accurate", I'm just not sure.

However, kudos to WNW for having the courage to try this approach. If it works, it may well herald a whole new approach to modelling exterior surfaces across the entire industry.

The images on WNW's website remind me strongly of the digital art of Piotr Forkasiewicz. He gets that "quilted" look off to near perfection, so much so that it can be difficult to realise it's art, and not photography. 

What most surprises me is that WNW have been working on this for eight years, and even produced test shots in July 2017 - yet, not the slightest hint that it was coming - not a sausage. That sort of security is simply staggering.

I must say, HB's B-24 is looking more of a bargain with each passing day.

No way would I have thought, a few years ago, that we'd have B-17, B-24, B-25 & Lancasters available in 1/32.

And I would certainly never, ever have thought WNW would be one of the manufacturers. They would have been bottom of my list of possibilities, just behind Silver Wings and Special Hobby.

Having seen many WWII aircraft in many museums around the world, and living in Washington DC long enough to have memorized every square inch of the NASM and Udvar Hazy center, I can say that "oil canning" is one of the very first things you notice when you look at a real aircraft and one of the things that is immediately "inaccurate" with model airplanes.

It is very noticeable on the real thing and catches your attention immediately.  I feel like it should be present on models, especially if the subject was prone to "oil canning" like anything German from late in the war when metallurgy suffered dramatically from lack of supplies.   A good example is the Me-262.  They just don't look right without oil canning.

How that all translates on this particular Lancaster in 1/32 scale remains to be seen.

I know what you mean in that it may not come off right.

A good example is zimmerit solutions on model armor.  

Some just don't look "right" but if done correctly, it can be very effective.

I think on this occasion WNW not announcing they were doing the Lancaster hasn't worked, because I doubt a third manufacturer would have started to do a Lanc and in fact HKM would probably have dropped theirs had they known as they have other projects cascading around. 

Graham

34 minutes ago, GrahamF said:

I think on this occasion WNW not announcing they were doing the Lancaster hasn't worked, because I doubt a third manufacturer would have started to do a Lanc and in fact HKM would probably have dropped theirs had they known as they have other projects cascading around. 

Graham

Indeed.

In the comparatively small world of WWI 1/32 aircraft, WNW effectively have no serious competition whatsoever to impact upon.

WWII 1/32 aircraft, however, is a completely different scenario.

I'm not sure but did anybody else notice the date from the first test shot on the photo of the cockpit section 6th photo in, July 2017 so maybe this is a lot further along than we thought and out of curiosity when did HK do their first pull?

http://www.wingnutwings.com/ww/productdetail?productid=3193&cat=5#

Graham

Edited by Lancman

1 hour ago, Lancman said:

I'm not sure but did anybody else notice the date from the first test shot on the photo of the cockpit section 6th photo in, July 2017 so maybe this is a lot further along than we thought and out of curiosity when did HK do their first pull?

http://www.wingnutwings.com/ww/productdetail?productid=3193&cat=5#

Graham

I noticed that - how the hell have WNW managed to keep it an absolute secret, when they were making test shots as far back as July last year?

Then again, they dropped three Felixstowe kits, with not a whisper beforehand.

It's like bloody Fort Knox at WNW.

Its amazing how WNW can keep it all secret, amazing company, they really are. Tamiya are sort of the same, but not quite as good secrecy wise as WNW.

They (WNW) must have been surprised when they heard ... by pure coincidence I'm sure ... that HKM were going to do a Lanc too and even though delayed often might sorta coincide with their own expensive research and design and near release dates, but what can you do if HKM do decide to release before yours, that you had been working and investing upon for far longer, pull the plug on whole project or keep going? Seriously ... Thats not gonna happen.

Any other suggestion is bordering on conspiracy theory lunacy and tantamount to industrial espionage suggestions that should not be entertained here ... its just an odd coincidence, its nobody's fault, if there was a fault it was HKM's for announcing it all to early, but now we have some facts, WNW did have some research in far earlier than HKM.

At the end of the day I will not cut my nose off to spite my face, I will not deny myself a better kit and experience just because the underdog got to the winning post first with release and deny my 1/32 Lancaster dream when other options are more or less around the corner.

For what its worth and really IMHO, the kit from HKM is so near release now it wont be changed much if at all, its just the box art and decals needing waiting for ... I held back on the injection pin marks on the bomb bay especially, thats gonna be hard tedious work removing them in such narrow areas, we're gonna need a lot of skinny sanders there *IF* we do that.  The overall detail seems soft too, someone else mentioned this, respect James Hatch as a modeller and reviewer, but we all need to make up our own mind, did James mention the fact of a WNW version was hard on this ones heels?  No doubt James was extremely pleased to get a review part of sprues and he might (talented guy that he is) be just a little biased as of now, presented and in time with both kits sprues and doing the Pepsi test, pretty sure we all know what kit we would all choose if we never knew the manufacturer?

Whatever we do, its almost scale model politics now, some have orders in, possibly orders on the way? I'm kinda glad its worked out the way it has, I know what I want and know what I need, and if there is a WNW/Tamiya version of a kit to choose from then I know where I'm going, even if it means waiting ... plenty to build for now.

Just to qualify that, not having a go at HKM, they make fantastic LSP models and really miss not getting one of their B-25 glass nose Mitchell's when I could have, but I do my research and as much as I like the B-17 too, resisted when I heard about the cockpit nose shape problems, same with the Mosquito inner chord leading wing parts compared to Tamiya and at end of day really only have room for one 4 engined 1/32 Bomber, love lancs (really do) and so it had to be a WNW Lancaster for me when faced with the unlikely but real choice of two kit manufacturers, it had to be a WNW Dambuster in particular.

Do feel sorry for HKM, some folk invested in Dambuster conversion for the kit too I read here ... damn, its just all  bad luck n timing.

But I dont do brand loyalty.

One last thought folks, and about releasing sprue shots pics so close to a kit release date? if they are not final release candidate sprue pics shots what's the point?

Why would you send out for public consumption, sprues so close to kit release date that were less than perfect?

What we need is what we are going to get sprue shots, otherwise all we are going to get are  ... "these are not final sprue shots" arguments because they are not boxed and then maybe they will change on final release (HK Lanc release around the corner now) and more arguing amongst each other defending our choices and pointless bickering.

You dont see Tamiya messing about this way, when they release sprue shots you know thats what you are gonna get, I trust Tamiya that way ... not this common practise of some company's sending out final sprues to testers and if feedback is not good, halt it all again, have not HKM done this a few times now? and sure time for correction ... The HKM Lanc is pretty final now I will be very surprised if the sprue shots from James (not having a go James) are not the final ones ... he has a good well deserved relationship with them.

Having received test shots of the first release of the HK Models Do 335 kit (and built it, too), I can tell you with unwavering certainty that those test shots differed in important ways to the final production version I received some weeks later. For starters, most of the ejector-pin marks I complained about in my preview were gone. Here's an example - production parts on the left, test shot parts on the right (the sprue is green because I shifted the contrast of the image to better see the details):

PoAsEg.jpg

My test shot also had a couple of malformed parts, canopy parts that were revised for the production kit, and lacked such niceties as instructions, nose weights, and decals. The situation was similar with the Meteor test shots I also received from Neil.

So, yes, it's very likely that those Lancaster test shot sprues will change before we see the production kit.

Kev

40 minutes ago, Southern Bandit said:

... not this common practise of some company's sending out final sprues to testers and if feedback is not good, halt it all again, have not HKM done this a few times now? and sure time for correction ... The HKM Lanc is pretty final now I will be very surprised if the sprue shots from James (not having a go James) are not the final ones ... he has a good well deserved relationship with them.

Isn't that a good thing though?

Send out test shots to get feedback and if issues are found they can be corrected for the final production kit ?

This has happened so many times in the past with other kits.

It's announced and there is an insatiable demand to see the plastic at the earliest opportunity so people can drool or it can be picked apart depending on people's views.

In many cases people get carried away and start calling it a "review" when it's very clearly just a preview of the prototype sprues..

Edited by PhilB

I agree guys, I thought I'd mentioned the time factor too, but what I'm saying is and what James review seems to indicate as well is (and I'm not quoting him verbatim) ... the kit is almost on our doorstep now and just awaiting decals and boxing, there is late and there is very late revisions, perhaps its time to keep our expectations realistic ... I cant see much changing at this late stage, is not the kit supposed to be for sale at Telford?

What is going to change now between then and now? I honestly don't think very much.

Sometimes WYSIWYG, appreciate your scenario too Kev of the DO335 shots, but what was the time frame of you receiving those parts and kit release?  weeks, months? How far away is Telford where this kit is going on sale?

These are expensive once in a lifetime kit purchases for many of us, we need to choose correctly.

I'm dimly aware of some certain factions friction between the two sites now, and we need to maintain some democracy, but its not that, I like James Hatch and his builds, really do ... just saying what I think about the two kits and all that has been seen so far ... and what I think and with all my guess and other folks guesses, those that are buying the HKM kit will not be disappointed and neither will those that choose for the WNW kits.

One way or another there is bound to be some sort of modelling conflict as both kits come out, but hopefully and eventually jovial and we all admire what we can do with each others different skill sets and approaches.

But for now, there will be a bit of friction I suppose as modellers choose what to do and what kit to buy and some moderation concern is needed, but please let us have our say between the two kits from two different manufacturers.

We've never had it so good.

Awesome times :)

34 minutes ago, Southern Bandit said:

One way or another there is bound to be some sort of modelling conflict as both kits come out, but hopefully and eventually jovial and we all admire what we can do with each others different skill sets and approaches.

But for now, there will be a bit of friction I suppose as modellers choose what to do and what kit to buy and some moderation concern is needed, but please let us have our say between the two kits from two different manufacturers.

We've never had it so good.

Awesome times :)

Well said.

This isn't something new though.

I and many others have been on here long enough to have seen this many times before especially in regard to kits from a certain manufacturer or ahem, of a certain German fighter.

What I never can fathom out is why in some cases people have decided to buy another kit of the same subject but then keep visiting the original topic about the kit they won't buy to keep finding fault!

:shrug:

It's a bit like walking into a ............(insert make of choice) car dealership and saying "I don't like your cars and I'm not going to buy one!"

:lol:

Hopefully things can progress in a more objective way and those that have made their choices will look forward to some awesome builds!

:thumbsup:

Well this ticks me off

Wingnut Wings as it turns out are coming out with their own 1/32 scale Lancaster for late 2019
http://www.wingnutwings.com/ww/product?productid=3193
And it's far superior to the HK Models kit that's coming out. It has skin rippling which the HPH kit doesn't have.
And Here's me with the HK Models kit on pre order.
I wonder if HK Models will take their kit back in and redesign it with skin ripple.
I hope so. That way I won't have to buy it twice.