WINGNUT WINGS LANCASTER!!!!!!!!!

seiran01

39 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I think the short answer would be yes to all the questions at least for me anyway. I usually buy multiples of a subject I like to do different schemes. Also in the rare case of me buggering up a kit, spilling glue all over it, dropping it etc i'll have an extra. I also buy multiples to AVOID ebay scalpers down the road especially with WnW kits although that has seemed to calmed down a lot. Plus if down the road something happens to a built kit (broken, sold off etc) I will have an extra in case or when the kits is OOP. As for the display area, I do have an area to display many Lancaster sized models. The resale question is only applicable if I kick off in an untimely demise, my wife will have enough gas money selling a Wnw Lanc or 2 to move out of here to  better town. lol

I’ve bought multiples of a few kits as well.... oddly I’ve never considered for resale, conversions, different versions, markings dioramas, the list goes on....and on, possibly why I’ve got 5 Academy F/A 18’s in my stash and 2 ...3 , built....I mean who needs that many 1/32 F 18’s?

Hasegawa Bf 109’s as well! But in my defence I did actually spill glue on one of those during construction (actually dropped the bottle of Tamiya thin gue on it when I forgot to screw the lid on and then picked it up by said lid)

On a side note, did anybody else know that Tamiya thin glue very efficiently removes the painted on grid lines on hobby cutting mats? It does, trust me on that!

anyway back on topic, I too buy multiples but only of kits I like....rare kits...kits with multiple different markings....jeeze ok I buy lots of multiples.

if it turns out my tastes change I just give them away (get someone else’s kids hooked) or donate them to the club for auction or something.

11 hours ago, ringleheim said:

You mentioned planning on purchasing 2 or 3 Lancaster kits.

I see comments like this all the time and I'm genuinely curious why you are planning this if you don't mind sharing. 

Do you treat one kit as a "back up" or "parts donor" kit to account for losing/breaking/screwing up parts?  Are you actually planning on displaying 2 or 3 1/32 Lancasters in your house? 

Are you buying them with the intention of resale for profit down the road?

so I can build 2 versions of it for myself (s sugar and sharkmouth) and one for my dad, might even get another for the stash lest they sell out or incase I fancy building another 3 or 4 yrs down the road

Edited by Markjames1968
addition

Pardon my French but Holy efing ____, _____, ______.  I looked at the Wingnut Website for this thing and what they are doing is positively mind blowing.  Until I saw this I was convinced that the Tamiya 1/32 Spitfire Mk IX was the greatest piece of scale modeling engineering and design ever.  This thing is unbelievable, the wire detail, canning effects, plumbing lines and more.  It looks like the outboard wings out side of the inner engines and landing gear might be designed to be removable which will help those who want to display one of these.  

If I were ever going to build a big bomber in 1/32 this would be it.  I know many modelers focus on specific planes, countries, scales etc.  Those influence me as well, however, one thing that really drives my choices is a beautifully designed kit loaded with amazing detail.  To give you an example, I never really cared about the Spitfire Mk IX, I just decided to build one because Tamiya did it to the their standard.  I certainly fell in love with the kit if not the MK IX itself.  My respect though for the Mk IX went up enormously as I learned about it though.  My faulty American bias only recognized the BOB Spitfire as a significant aircraft which is my fault.  

FWIW I plan to buy both kits as well, the HK one will be built in flight and the WnW's one static, possibly being serviced or bombed up.  The in-flight one will be of ME453 (PO-L) of 467 squadron which was delivered to the squadron on 4 February 1945 and shot down on 3 March, so "stressed skin" doesn't bother me with this brand new aircraft. From what is available to view so far though it does appear that the WnW's Lanc will deliver on detail so I foresee more options for a diorama. 

The "quilted" effect WNW have produced is certainly jarring, being used to the more uniform finish up until now. Not sure if it will work or not - possibly, factually more accurate, but whether a painted, 1/32 Lanc will look "accurate", I'm just not sure.

However, kudos to WNW for having the courage to try this approach. If it works, it may well herald a whole new approach to modelling exterior surfaces across the entire industry.

The images on WNW's website remind me strongly of the digital art of Piotr Forkasiewicz. He gets that "quilted" look off to near perfection, so much so that it can be difficult to realise it's art, and not photography. 

What most surprises me is that WNW have been working on this for eight years, and even produced test shots in July 2017 - yet, not the slightest hint that it was coming - not a sausage. That sort of security is simply staggering.

I must say, HB's B-24 is looking more of a bargain with each passing day.

No way would I have thought, a few years ago, that we'd have B-17, B-24, B-25 & Lancasters available in 1/32.

And I would certainly never, ever have thought WNW would be one of the manufacturers. They would have been bottom of my list of possibilities, just behind Silver Wings and Special Hobby.

12 minutes ago, DeanKB said:

What most surprises me is that WNW have been working on this for eight years, and even produced test shots in July 2017 - yet, not the slightest hint that it was coming - not a sausage. That sort of security is simply staggering.

WNW's security for leaks is amazing, they run a very tight operation, Tamiya come close, but for their Mosquito and for those that were prepared to speculate after one now famous leak, it was obvious in hindsight that particular (Facebook) leak was correct, pics of Tamiya guys crawling all over a real museum Mosquito when their excellent 1/48 Mosquito had long ago been released and was still a definitive kit could only mean one thing ... and we 1/32 fans got it.

Tamiya seem to have tightened up their security again, or there really is nothing from them in 1/32 Aircraft scale for the foreseeable future ... and I'm leaning this way of thinking, they have busted their recent 1/32 Aircraft kit release trends by a fair bit now and and seem to have ramped up in 1/48 Aircraft (109, Tomcats, Spitfire) and other area's too ... I think it will be many years afore we see something really new tool in 1/32 Aircraft from Tamiya ... we have had big gaps in Tamiya 1/32 Aircraft kit releases before, the gap between the Zero and Spitfire was some time and the gap between the Zero and the one before even longer?

But ... with the exciting new release announcements in 1/32, it almost does not seem to matter, we have never had it so good, spoilt for choice we are ... these are good days we live in for sure.

1 hour ago, DeanKB said:

The images on WNW's website remind me strongly of the digital art of Piotr Forkasiewicz. He gets that "quilted" look off to near perfection, so much so that it can be difficult to realise it's art, and not photography.

I had to Google it, but yes, some outstanding artwork to be sure. If I had the space to display them, I'd order a couple of his prints in a New York minute.

49 minutes ago, LSP_Typhoonattack said:

I had to Google it, but yes, some outstanding artwork to be sure. If I had the space to display them, I'd order a couple of his prints in a New York minute.

The fact that he does it all electronically is amazing.

TerrifyingBeauty97.jpg

TerrifyingBeauty34.jpg

TerrifyingBeauty07.jpg

The last one, in particular, is not only phenomenal, but I'd imagine that the WNW kit may look similar once painted?

20 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

If HK or WNW would sell the inboard engines/props seperately

we could do a Beaufigher MkII  !!  :o:speak_cool:

...hey it was just an idea  :whistle:

Can't you order sprues from them?  I mean, once the kit is released.

Edited by Gazzas
complete text

WNW announcement over on HS...

Price is still to be confirmed, but we are doing what we can to keep it as low as possible and hope it will only be slightly more than 32801 Felixstowe F.2a & Hansa-Brandenburg W.29 "The Duellists". Interestingly, Bryan Wall (pictured) was the lead Product Designer/3D Modeller for our Avro Lancaster project which he finished modelling well before starting work on the Halberstadt Cl.II mentioned above. He has also since completed another couple of new (WW1) models that we’re not quite ready to reveal just yet.  

Price...perhaps 400 450...range.

So a couple more soon...we can only guess, perhaps before Xmas is my guess.

But what is that behind him on the window shelf...kinda looks like a Spad to me,mabe not.

And those Lancs.the canopies have molded frames...OMG!

WKBfEi.jpg

Edited by williamj

3 hours ago, williamj said:

.So a couple more soon...we can only guess, perhaps before Xmas is my guess.

But what is that behind him on the window shelf...kinda looks like a Spad to me,mabe not.

WKBfEi.jpg

It’s not a SPAD, it’s (I think) the WNW LVG on top of their Salmson.

What is interesting, though, is the collection of books on the desk - Italian Aces of WWI, French Aircraft of the First World War and the Windsock Datafile for the Breguet 14...

17 minutes ago, vince14 said:

It’s not a SPAD, it’s (I think) the WNW LVG on top of their Salmson.

What is interesting, though, is the collection of books on the desk - Italian Aces of WWI, French Aircraft of the First World War and the Windsock Datafile for the Breguet 14...

The Spad comment was me being me;)....I did notice the books..very enlightening...it does show interest in what may come our way.