WINGNUT WINGS LANCASTER!!!!!!!!!

seiran01

On 9/28/2018 at 8:41 PM, John1 said:

WNW provided full engines on WW1 kits because they were mostly exposed.  I see no reason why they would have to provide 4 super detailed (or even one for that matter) Merlin.  

It's Wingnut Wings.

Their 2 engined bombers have two detailed engines.

I'd be very surprised if they didn't have four in the box.

2 hours ago, Tony T said:

Is there any way the Hitler poster may be removed from this thread? It is very likely most offensive to those who served on Lancasters.

Thanks. I have a sense of humour and understand the irony of Adolf Hitler exclaiming he wasn't expecting the Reich to be pounded into rubble (another take on the meme), but I really thought LSP was a Nazi-free zone.

Cheers

Tony 

Are we so thin skinned?

My family lost two in Lancs. One on training, one over Germany.

Why do we live with perpetual offence these days?

Here's my considered take:

Peter Jackson has spent a lot of money researching his Dambusters movie. A lot.

There's no movie revenue to offset the costs against.

So they decide to kit it, because 1. PJ likes Lanc's, and; 2. They can offset some of the costs against WNW's revenue. Maybe the costs are enough to create a loss, with tax rebates?

I'm not against WNW doing a Lanc. However, I feel HK needs my money a hell of a lot more than WNW. Plus, the cost of the WNW kit could be eye-wateringly high - $600+ high, especially as the market for 1/32 4-engined bombers is rather small, so there will be less kits to absorb the development kits across.

Plus, this is the first WNW kit that will get the rivet-counters really interested. There are so few WWI aeroplanes left, and the photographic record is nothing like WWII aeroplanes, that people will have a lot more source material to claim "the bomb had 3 lines of rivets", or "the length is off by 1 inch", or somesuch.

It'll certainly be interesting!

Any development in this hobby is welcome but I do feel that Neil and HK models have yet again been well and truly kicked in the tabs! 

looking back in history, with the exception of the B25 series, which I believe wasn't too well publicised at the time Neil announced he was doing a new long overdue Mosquito, Tamiya announce soon after, Then Neil announces the DO 335 series, A REALLY unusual subject choice, Zoukei Mura release theirs, Neil then makes no secret of the Lancaster project which has been delayed as in his words, "he wants to get it right" then at the point of release WNW announce their release.

It appears that whichever way HK decide to turn, they seem to get headed off at the pass. 

Don't get me wrong, I know its business and all that and I'm sure the WNW release will be up to their usual high standard, but I cant help but feel that this is a little unfair, almost a David and Goliath affair. 

I will be watching the JU 52 project closely 

1 hour ago, DeanKB said:

But they subcontract manufacture, printing, boxing, decals - everything, basically.

WnW are hardly alone in this. Revell and Airfix also outsource these functions almost entirely. Revell even outsources a lot of their design work.

1 hour ago, JamesHatch said:

Are we so thin skinned?

My family lost two in Lancs. One on training, one over Germany.

Why do we live with perpetual offence these days?

I don't like pictures of Hitler; maybe you don't mind.

It's not good that this impinges on an otherwise innocent product. Do you want Hitler on the box top?! 

Tony

3 hours ago, Phartycr0c said:

Any development in this hobby is welcome but I do feel that Neil and HK models have yet again been well and truly kicked in the tabs! 

looking back in history, with the exception of the B25 series, which I believe wasn't too well publicised at the time Neil announced he was doing a new long overdue Mosquito, Tamiya announce soon after, Then Neil announces the DO 335 series, A REALLY unusual subject choice, Zoukei Mura release theirs, Neil then makes no secret of the Lancaster project which has been delayed as in his words, "he wants to get it right" then at the point of release WNW announce their release.

It appears that whichever way HK decide to turn, they seem to get headed off at the pass. 

Don't get me wrong, I know its business and all that and I'm sure the WNW release will be up to their usual high standard, but I cant help but feel that this is a little unfair, almost a David and Goliath affair. 

I will be watching the JU 52 project closely 

Maybe HK should learn a lesson or two from this?

A) Follow the lead of most other companies and don’t announce a kit far in advance.  

B )  once you have announced it, get the damned thing out the door ASAP.   

4 hours ago, DeanKB said:

Small in staff terms.

But they subcontract manufacture, printing, boxing, decals - everything, basically.

And they've got Peter Jackson's $500m behind them.

So, in reality, they are not really a small company.

I think that subcontracting out tooling , production decals and printing is just actually good business sense concentrating on design, research,  marketing and brand values makes more sense and means you need a smaller team. Having that business significantly underwritten by a monied owner is good news and we cannot blame that owner if he wants the company he is underwriting to produce the items he wants not what the internet wants ( which is a highly fluid thing) 

As the adage goes if you cannot please everyone please yourself.

Personally if I was investing my cash that’s what I’d do...

My considered view is if the WnW Lanc was going to be a ‘better’ kit and less expensive than the other market incumbent then the level of ‘disbelief’ and AOBO currently circulating around model forum world would not be as acute.

We’re basically spoilt.. Even in the context of modeling it’s not really a big deal. The market will correct itself for both incumbents.

57 minutes ago, Artful69 said:

Nice Mustang Mike ... is this one in O/D paint? ... If so, are there 1/32 decal sheets available for it?

Rog ;)

Sure, it's OD as were most but not all of the early 357th FG 362nd FS

Bs and -5s. Some later dashes were OD as well.

There are decals for some but I've never seen any for this a/c.

Just got back from the show, went to the exhibit where the WNW display was...it's at least 1.5 years away and it will probably cost more than the HK model....don't want specify an exact number because it's up to the people that sell it, but from what I gathered it's likely to be an extra $100-$150 or so.

10 hours ago, Tony T said:

I don't like pictures of Hitler; maybe you don't mind.

It's not good that this impinges on an otherwise innocent product. Do you want Hitler on the box top?! 

Tony

Where did I imply that I was a fan of Hitler and wanted his image on a box top?

Petulance is never an award-winning debate strategy.